HybridZ

neat under the hood finally. :)

well today I started and finished a build in about 3 hours taking my time to make it as stock looking as possible.

A while ago I had bought some fuel rail covers. Well they FINALLY got here yesterday and today I got on thd mod ban wagon and made them fit the Z.

Took a lot of patience with my angle grinder and a cutting disk but they fit IMO basically perfect. I still want to do some trimming but I had to get the car out to a meet at Home Depot tonight with Tino.

Here are the pics for you guys

Before:

2545113_67_full.jpg

After:

Pics aren't that clear for some reason but you get the idea: Pimp.

2545113_83_full.jpg

2545113_81_full.jpg

2545113_82_full.jpg

Thoughts?

Much better, now your photography skills, that's another story.... :P:lol:

bwahahaha funny man.

Yes I know the pics suck, not sure why short of my skills i guess :wink:

I'll get some more pics later on maybe.

I'm pretty impressed with how they turned out myself. A little more trimming and they'll be done and fit a little flusher on the passanger side :)

What did you have to trim? Around the AFPR fitting?

I'll also make a suggestion.

Make a cover for the PCM, to cover up those connectors. Something simple that could be slipped over the PCM would really help compliment the covers you just added.

For me I mainly did work to the passanger side cover. I had to trim for the TB bracket (small notch on intake side), the feed line off the regulator to the fuel rail. I also trimmed the middle part of the cover at the intake for the feed line to fit without binding on the cover and lastly was for the main harness at the front as it was bulging a bit (still is a little and I'll take care of that later ;) )

BRAAP: I noticed the edit and I appreciate it. Thank you.

datsun40146: Many people have filled in the corvette letters to do Firebird, Camaro etc so I'm sure that its something that I can do later on. That may be a winter project to smooth them out and have them painted body colour and have Datsun Airbrushed on or something. Maybe even just a vinyl decal or something on fresh paint. Time will tell. To be honest I really like the corvette on there as everyone finally knows what motor it is...lol

For me I mainly did work to the passanger side cover. I had to trim for the TB bracket (small notch on intake side), the feed line off the regulator to the fuel rail. I also trimmed the middle part of the cover at the intake for the feed line to fit without binding on the cover and lastly was for the main harness at the front as it was bulging a bit (still is a little and I'll take care of that later ;) )

Looks good, I did go back and look a little closer at the pictures and thought that you might have trimmed around the harness, but wasn't sure.

datsun40146: Many people have filled in the corvette letters to do Firebird, Camaro etc so I'm sure that its something that I can do later on. That may be a winter project to smooth them out and have them painted body colour and have Datsun Airbrushed on or something. Maybe even just a vinyl decal or something on fresh paint. Time will tell. To be honest I really like the corvette on there as everyone finally knows what motor it is...lol

That would be killer, I've seen the body colour matched covers on other cars and it pretty much always looks good.

Can you use a passenger side cover on the driver side? That would fill in those two fuel line slots easily if you could.

1. You bought the wrong covers. You have a 99 and later fuel rails and you are using the 97-98 covers.

2. The good thing is you flip the fuel rail but the bad thing is you didn't move the cover with it. If you move the cover you wouldn't have to cut it up.

3. It would be much nicer if you put the PCM inside the car and route the EFI harness thru the firewall right at the back of the engine.

A couple of pictures for reference after you flip the fuel rail and move the cover with it. I didn't have to cut anything on the cover for them to fit after flipping the rail.

2079260_152_full.jpg

2079260_334_full.jpg

2079260_337_full.jpg

janaka,

The covers look great in there, but VinhZXT is correct. Just a suggestion, down the line if you decide to change to color covers, carbon fiber (the look of carbon fiber ) even polish or chrome google any corvette supplier like Eckler's, Mid America -I think Street and performance has them also, just have to spend a bit more.

• Administrators
definitely relocate that ECU unless you like zippity poppity sounds coming from your engine bay under heavy rain! or at least cover it with a suitable weather shield.

I would agree with if this was any aftermarket ECU or older OEM ECU, though I am pretty sure the late GM ECU’s as used on all LS-x engines and other vehicles, as I understand it, though I could be wrong, are essentially water proof. I don’t mean just “splash” proof, but literally “submerged” water proof. GM installs those ECU’s in the engine bay of their cars, trucks/SUV’s at the factory, knowing the owners will steam/pressure wash their engines bays. As I understand it to be, these late model GM ECU’s are designed to withstand water as well as the extreme temperature swings experienced in engine bays in various climates, from Alaska brrr.gif to Death Valley. hot.gif

1. You bought the wrong covers. You have a 99 and later fuel rails and you are using the 97-98 covers.

2. The good thing is you flip the fuel rail but the bad thing is you didn't move the cover with it. If you move the cover you wouldn't have to cut it up.

3. It would be much nicer if you put the PCM inside the car and route the EFI harness thru the firewall right at the back of the engine.

A couple of pictures for reference after you flip the fuel rail and move the cover with it. I didn't have to cut anything on the cover for them to fit after flipping the rail.

pic

pic

pic

I guess when I throw my new intake on I'll try to flip the rail and see if I can get them on the "right" way as you say.

In the mean time everyone thats seen them loves them, myself included. So although they are "wrong" I'm loving it nonetheless :)

I've got to admit your post totally sucked the wind out of my sails when I first read it.

definitely relocate that ECU unless you like zippity poppity sounds coming from your engine bay under heavy rain! or at least cover it with a suitable weather shield.

piping and install looks great!

I've driven through 3 rain storms with the swap this summer already (on my way to 3 shows nevertheless) and washed the car NUMBEROUS times and have not had any issues at all. BRAAP is right these PCM's are basically indestructable. The one I had in my Grand Prix was basically ziptied behind a headlight totally exposed for 6 years without any issues at all. The PCM normally sits under the cowl on the Fbody's so I'm not too worried. I may make a cover for it as suggested by someone else but that will be more for looks than protection. Time will tell, when in doubt it can get relocated if need be.

I appologize. Don't take it the wrong way. I didn't mean to do that. Every one already said it looked clean so I just didn't want to repeat it. I was just pointing out a few things you could have done better so hopefully someone else can benefit from it later on. Cheers

I've got to admit your post totally sucked the wind out of my sails when I first read it.

Datsun40146 - I saw that done on a 1966 Mercedes 280SL that had been Hybrid-ized with an LS1/T56. He had filled in the original lettering and it said "Mercedes" on the covers. He also had them painted a custom silver color. The guy admitted that he had $100K in the car while I was talking with him. It was as close to perfect throughout of any car I have seen.