HybridZ

L28ET Oil Cooler fitting, HELP!

jacob80

Hey guys, I am once again in a pickle. We want to run an oil cooler, but dont know what fittings or where to even find these fittings that will adapt to the oil cooler input/output pictured here, just above the oil filter input:

1046572qy8.jpg

My quesiton for you guys is, where can I find these fittings? Also, which oil cooler can I use? I was looking around on summit racing and came across this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D70273&N=700+300221+115&autoview=sku

All I know is that its an oil cooler and its fairly cheap. If you guys could help me, that would be awesome, thanks!!!

Alright, just answer me this. What do you guys think the best way to go on this is? If I do get those fittings that convert the threads (which I dont even know what those are) to accept "AN" fittings, where can I find THOSE fittings/hoses/an oil cooler that will accept those fittings? Thanks!

Those in the photo appear to be 37 JIC. And this is reinforced by the fact that the page the poster linked to contains only AN/Metric Adapters, so that means 37 Deg JIC fittings (A/N)

The standard Nissan stuff is, oddly enough 45 SAE. The original hoses that went on the banjo bolts shown in the first photo, as well as the bulkhead and secondary hose assemblies that went outside the frame rails to the OEM cooler, as well as the Cooler itself indeed have 45 SAE fittings, but the idea behind using the adapters is to get rid of those damn metric banjo bolts in the first place, and use 'standard' A/N Hardware. (though metric banjos are also on that Pegasus page...)

If you want EITHER of these fittings, go to any Tractor or Farm supply where they make hoses. A Parker Hannifin Store, Goodrich Hose Store, The Hose Man, The Hose Pros, most Industrial Supply Houses.

Not only will they have the fittings, they can make up your hoses while you wait.

Failing that, as noted, Pegasus Racing has a full selection, as does Earls Supply, TMR or any number of other automotive racing supply warehouses.

But I find Tractor Hydraulic Hose is cheap, it's in stock 3 miles from my house, and for some reason crap for a Massey Furgeson doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get "Custom Fabricated" like it does when you go in and tell them it's for an Import you are hopping up...

"It's hot oil low pressure hose, maximum pressure 250psi, steel reinforced lines with maximum flexibility desired."

I'm thinking, if you're in Wahoo, a short drive past the 3M facility in Valley just outside of Omaha, and back towards town a piece is a JD Distributor that can hook you right up, if not at the local CoOp or Ag Supply Store. If you see Fuddruckers, the Holiday Inn, or Boys Town, you went to far, turn around and head back! I'm laying money you have a real hardware supply store in Wahoo, and can go to the back where they sell all the hydraulic stuff for PTO and Ag Implements and you will go 'WOW!' when you realize all this stuff was sitting right under your nose all this time. Sure, it's not flashy aluminum stuff, but we're not in an aircraft, weight is not THAT big an issue. And besides, the steel fittings don't gall up and become unservicable when you overtighten them! The pieces are nearby, you just needed to know where to look.

BTW, I used the same Tractor Hose place to totally convert the 45SAE fittings to 37JIC, including the two on the OEM cooler---they screw in, you know. Same as on the first generation RX7. Find one of those and you will have more oil cooler than you will ever need!

Those in the photo appear to be 37 JIC. And this is reinforced by the fact that the page the poster linked to contains only AN/Metric Adapters, so that means 37 Deg JIC fittings (A/N)

The standard Nissan stuff is, oddly enough 45 SAE. The original hoses that went on the banjo bolts shown in the first photo, as well as the bulkhead and secondary hose assemblies that went outside the frame rails to the OEM cooler, as well as the Cooler itself indeed have 45 SAE fittings, but the idea behind using the adapters is to get rid of those damn metric banjo bolts in the first place, and use 'standard' A/N Hardware. (though metric banjos are also on that Pegasus page...)

If you want EITHER of these fittings, go to any Tractor or Farm supply where they make hoses. A Parker Hannifin Store, Goodrich Hose Store, The Hose Man, The Hose Pros, most Industrial Supply Houses.

Not only will they have the fittings, they can make up your hoses while you wait.

Failing that, as noted, Pegasus Racing has a full selection, as does Earls Supply, TMR or any number of other automotive racing supply warehouses.

But I find Tractor Hydraulic Hose is cheap, it's in stock 3 miles from my house, and for some reason crap for a Massey Furgeson doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get "Custom Fabricated" like it does when you go in and tell them it's for an Import you are hopping up...

"It's hot oil low pressure hose, maximum pressure 250psi, steel reinforced lines with maximum flexibility desired."

I'm thinking, if you're in Wahoo, a short drive past the 3M facility in Valley just outside of Omaha, and back towards town a piece is a JD Distributor that can hook you right up, if not at the local CoOp or Ag Supply Store. If you see Fuddruckers, the Holiday Inn, or Boys Town, you went to far, turn around and head back! I'm laying money you have a real hardware supply store in Wahoo, and can go to the back where they sell all the hydraulic stuff for PTO and Ag Implements and you will go 'WOW!' when you realize all this stuff was sitting right under your nose all this time. Sure, it's not flashy aluminum stuff, but we're not in an aircraft, weight is not THAT big an issue. And besides, the steel fittings don't gall up and become unservicable when you overtighten them! The pieces are nearby, you just needed to know where to look.

BTW, I used the same Tractor Hose place to totally convert the 45SAE fittings to 37JIC, including the two on the OEM cooler---they screw in, you know. Same as on the first generation RX7. Find one of those and you will have more oil cooler than you will ever need!

How did you know that there is a 3M in Valley!??! Have you lived here? Anyways, so will I still use these bolts (dont even know what they're called) and find some banjo fittings or do I remove those and buy a converter piece at this tractor hardware store?

How did you know that there is a 3M in Valley!??! Have you lived here? Anyways, so will I still use these bolts (dont even know what they're called) and find some banjo fittings or do I remove those and buy a converter piece at this tractor hardware store?

The other thread pretty much covers the thread sizes---those may be something you will have to order from Pegasus. But the local tractor place may have them.

As for my geographic knowledge of various regions...to paraphrase G. Gordon Liddy quoting another federal inmate "Don't mess with Tony D, D knows things!"

I'm a literal Johnny Cash Song "I've been every-where, man... I been everywhere!" LOL

Like I know how those six Iowa Troopers shoot radar across the river on EB I-80 north of Omaha on the Council Bluffs Side and tag cars coming into the state (they do it crossing the bridge as well on the south side of Omaha...bastiges!) Like I said before, I observe useless things that are completely and utterly insignificant, yet screw with people's heads at the most inoportune times!:flamedevi

Somewhere, I believe there is a photograph of me standing underneath the 'Wahoo' sign there at the fork in the road you take to go to Valley coming out of Omaha.

Do you know what size 45 SAE adaptors we would need to run -10AN lines from the stock Nissan oil cooler?

The thread previous to my last stated, denoted, linked all those adapters.

They are metric ISO STright Threads on one end, and whatever A/N Size you want on the other. you would use the thread size mentioned in the previous thread to my last, and write it out as "METRIC SIZE" X -10A/N

The Nissan Cooler uses screw in fittings, so just replace them with the appropriate A/N Fitting...

Yea, thats perfect, will that "kit" bolt right up, or will we need to purchase something else other than obviously the oil cooler to make it mount up to the block? We also are having trouble getting the old oil filter housing with the oil cooler fittings off. As far as I can see, it seems like you must remove the bolts that go through the piece and into the block, but then that is where I'm stuck. We tried turning it because it seems like its threaded on, but we couldnt even budge it. How does it come off?