HybridZ

L28 clutch upgrade options?

mylilpwny

I recently installed a centerforce II clutch/disc in my NA L28 and with the exception of 1 big issue, have been very happy with it.

The good:

- no issues with grip, although given I'm NA I'm not surprised with that.

- the engagement is very smooth, as good as any stock clutch I've ever driven.

- the effort is no different than a stock clutch

The not so good:

- engagement begins pretty close to the bottom of the pedal movement. In other words, the clutch pedal needs to be completely depressed for it to fully disengage.

The bad:

- there are vibrations that come and go at various RPMs that I am guessing are due to the weights moving around on the fingers of the pressure plate.

So far I've not seen anyone else with the vibration issue and will probably be pulling the tranny over the winter to rebuild a syncro so will check it further then.

• 1 month later...
I recently installed a centerforce II clutch/disc in my NA L28 and with the exception of 1 big issue, have been very happy with it.

The good:

- no issues with grip, although given I'm NA I'm not surprised with that.

- the engagement is very smooth, as good as any stock clutch I've ever driven.

- the effort is no different than a stock clutch

The not so good:

- engagement begins pretty close to the bottom of the pedal movement. In other words, the clutch pedal needs to be completely depressed for it to fully disengage.

The bad:

- there are vibrations that come and go at various RPMs that I am guessing are due to the weights moving around on the fingers of the pressure plate.

So far I've not seen anyone else with the vibration issue and will probably be pulling the tranny over the winter to rebuild a syncro so will check it further then.

I did the same clutch, accept i didnt have the problem with it disengageing right on the floor. Its a great clutch, but make sure you take it to a machine shop and have it balanced before you put it on, those pressure plates arent balenced well out of the box. Mine used to have the vibration issue.

Update: the clutch engagement is now normal and NOT near the bottom of the pedal travel. Also, the vibration issue seems to have mostly gone away with only a mild vibration around 4k left.

Silver280zx: how would a machine shop balance the clutch cover since the weights are rather free to move around? It seems like the balance would change constantly - that's what I was experiencing for the first thousand miles are so.

Update: the clutch engagement is now normal and NOT near the bottom of the pedal travel. Also, the vibration issue seems to have mostly gone away with only a mild vibration around 4k left.

Silver280zx: how would a machine shop balance the clutch cover since the weights are rather free to move around? It seems like the balance would change constantly - that's what I was experiencing for the first thousand miles are so.

they take the center weights off, and balance it, then put them back on. Mine was so out of balance that it wouls ling the wieghts to one side and it sounded awful, its all better now. But i guess it was more out of balance than the wieghts could fix., but they added and took away metal from areas of the plate.

I think Centerforce clutches are horrible. Also, when you guys say "stage" this and "stage" that, what are you basing the stages off? What company are you reffering to when you mention "stage"? Ive run several models of centerforce clutches on the street and on the track, and ive always ended up getting rid of it and reinstalling this one old Nissan OEM clutch ive had for 5+ years. Even old as hell, the Nissan OEM clutch never let me down. Its been run on the track and street ever since it was new. Centerforce and their weight technology isnt worth anything to me.

Money spent on a Centerforce setup, is better spent at a local friction material shop on a custom clutch, or save yourself $100's and just go to your Nissan dealer.

IMO, the original poster has no reason whatsoever to run a Centerforce clutch. He just "bought a 280zx 1980" and wants a "race clutch"? Anyone needing a race clutch, would have enough experience to figure that out on their own, and wouldnt be posting asking about "race clutch" on a car he just bought.

Just like Tony D, i digress.....

A few things:

David K, I didn't refer to their clutch using the term "stage". According to Centerforce's literature, the model I have is a Centerforce II.

I agree that for the most part, a NA engine can run with a stock clutch. I've done that for 5 years now. However, as I've improved my power output, I've found that as soon as I get some heat buildup in the clutch I get slippage on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. Of course, once it begins to slip at all the extra heat only makes the problem worse and the only answer is to park it or back off on the shifts. Given I like to participate in HPDEs, I figured I should look at a clutch that would have a little extra torque capacity, especially at higher revs. That's how I landed up with the CF II.

For a stock NA L28 (or L24 or L26 for that matter) I completely agree that the stock clutch should be good for a street driven vehicle. As I don't know the OP's plans for the car, I was just letting him know the pros/cons I had experienced with the CF II.

they take the center weights off, and balance it, then put them back on. Mine was so out of balance that it wouls ling the wieghts to one side and it sounded awful, its all better now. But i guess it was more out of balance than the wieghts could fix., but they added and took away metal from areas of the plate.

Did you bring the flywheel in as well? I'm wondering how the machinist attached the clutch cover to the machine?

FWIW, last summer I bought mine from amazon.com.

Hint: find the specific part number of the CF kit you want and then google it. That's how I found Amazon with the lowest price. Otherwise I would never have looked there for car parts.

While on the topic, does anybody have an idea what kind of torque a stock clutch can handle. BTW it's a 2+2 with the 240mm friction surface.

I will be doing and l28et swap shortly, and was wondering how long I can get away with the stock clutch.

As long as you are looking at stock numbers, 200k plus miles.

Abuseing it correctly ALOT, 80k.

That is the same clutch size that comes with the turbo.