HybridZ

I made +$81,750 in stock!!

MoNkEyT88

In just ONE DAY!

Check it out guys. It's UpDown.com, the online stock market game.

In short, you play the market with you're 1mil starting cash. And if you beat the S&P500 consistently they will actually pay you real money, and it's free to use.

Hopefully my big stocks don't take a dive. :)

Anyway, I'm having fun researching and looking into stocks. Practice for playing the market for real. In which I've sold most of my stock, and put it in the bank which I'm using towards a house.

^^^Yep. If I have a million even a 6% you can soooo retire. Just have to work through the frist year to acrue that intrest so you don't tap principle. Most of the USA's history reflects makeing 6% well deversified is dumb easy, just don't get greedy and put some of the intrest away for the bad year.

I don't know guys, if I could have averaged 6% interest over the past decade, I would have be really happy!

But keep in mind... you're paying about 35% tax on that interest. Will your after-tax returns keep up with inflation?

So, if you have $1M, and want to keep that $1M after taxes and inflation, with a 4% annual rate of return, your available annual income is probably negative. And if you earn 6%, you're just above breaking even. Nevertheless, that is much, much better than the market has been doing for the past decade.

Cap gains right now is like 15%. Not 35%.

Okay, I cashed out a fund and have to claim 17,000$ interest this year, I haven't talked to any finance agent yet, because taxes are so far off. Am I going to get hit with 35%. The difference from 15-35% is like an LS1 swap!.

Okay, I cashed out a fund and have to claim 17,000$ interest this year, I haven't talked to any finance agent yet, because taxes are so far off. Am I going to get hit with 35%. The difference from 15-35% is like an LS1 swap!.

Is this still part of the game? I hope so, if not you need to do some more studying on stocks and taxes before you take a hard hit.

Dragonfly

I did a quick check and you are right, it was supposed to have changed back in 2008 but was extended to 2010, "it" being long term capitol gains (they would have gone to 20% if the 15% had not been extended). So with that you should be fine although IMHO you are selling off low by selling at this time.

Dragonfly

The idea is that you paid income tax when you earned the money.

BTW SERIOUSLY you might consider re-investing 5-7k in a bit.

Like a month or so just before the election. The time for investing is soo fat, if done reasonable the ls1 can wait for a while, besides it will take time to build that, so in the mean time let your money work for you.

GEt a great investment broker that will divesify the money.

All I know is that I have been playing for a week and I am down about $120,000 but:

1) I bought A LOT of really low prices, even though they didn't bottom out yet they will come back.

2) It's not real money :wink:

3) If you want to know which stock will drop, ask me what I just bought. (there is some value to being able to consistently pick losers...I think.)

if you want to add me to your friends list I am "fastZcars" at updown.com