HybridZ

Stock L28ET turbo return line/flange

jacob80

Hey guys, we're nearing completion of our rebuild and about to buy a return line, one problem though. We can buy the flange and line off eBay, but the tricky part is how it will plug into the oil pan. The oil pan only has what looks like a hose fitting that you clamp a hose on to, I'm sure you guys konw what I'm talking about. But anyways, the hose kits that are on eBay have AN fittings on both ends. So my question is, how do I hook the line up to the oil pan? Here is the flange/hose/fittings off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-OIL-RETURN-DRAIN-LINE-KIT-FOR-T70-T3-T4-T25-T28_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1209Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160286724650QQitemZ160286724650

Stock L28eT only has a hose.

Ok boys, let me lay this out for you. Our stock turbo doesn't have an oil output flange, hose, or any kind of fitting for that fact. Yes, we do have the turbo, no, we have no way to hook up a return, what is the most convenient way to go about piecing together an oil return for our stock turbo on our L28ET with a turbo oil pan? Thanks!

I am confused...what do you mean the turbo does not have an "oil output flange"..every turbo has what is called a "drain"...this is a gravity fed passage back to the oil pan, all you need is to be able to direct the flow of the "used" oil back to the pan so it can be re-cycled for the next round of rpms.

Here is what I did on my engine, to give you ideas, the flange is a generic $8 generic T3 aluminum flange (make sure and get 3/4" diameter!!) and the hose is a 3/4" rubber hose, the nipple on the oil pan is also 3/4".

287738095.jpg

287738096.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Yes, on the bottom side of the turbo exhaust side, there is a removeable flange, such as this one:

GT%20oil%20drain%20with%20AN.jpg

This is an AN fitting flange, which is not what we want due to the face that the stock turbo oil pan has a hose that is probablly yes, 3/4". Where can we get a flange with a 3/4" hose fitting output from the turbo?

Has that engine with the hose run more than 10000 miles, or at all? I think he needs a solution for a road car, not a drag car. Methinks the hose is a weak link.

I ran the exact same setup on my daily driver 280Z turbo for many thousand miles.. Never once had a problem. Just dont go cheapo on your hose. If you want to over do it.. swap everything over to A/N braided lines.

Stock has a 90 flange with a few inches length that then goes 90 degrees and lines up very close to the flange on the pan. Nissan used a special silver colored hose that spanned the very small gap.

I'll see if I have one within reach but I don't like the fact that it comes straight down and then into a kind of restrictive 90 degree where the coked oil chunks end up collecting.

Yeah, I actually got my hands on one but was bent when he said it wasn't, so I just ordered a flange and hose barb fitting to thread into it and I'll just use a hose. Can I just use copper spray to seal the fitting to the flange on the threads? Also, where can I find a hose to use for this application? I know it has to be 3/4 id...

You would be amazed what works for a turbo drain. Here is an old post I did on a ghetto turbo drain system that is still working 50,000 hard driven miles later......

I posted it at least a year ago if not longer so the mileage has gone up since then.

Here's how you solve the oil return problem without taking out the oil pan or removing the engine.

I've used this many times over the years on 280zx and when fitting turbos to a few rear drive maximas that have front sump.

So.......19 years later, I finally do a quick write up with pics.

It doesn't work on all engine configurations but I will see if I can do it on my M30 soon enough.

You start with an oil pickup tube.........or two.

08-20-06_1332.jpg

Then you use a grinder to take off the lip which will allow you to remove the screen and have a sweet surface in which to mate to the side of the oil pan.

08-20-06_1334.jpg

Notice the fact that the tube will protrude into the pan which keeps as much oil as possible away from where it meets the pan.

08-20-06_1355.jpg

Now you use the smallest drill you can find and fit a cut off bit for the starter hole that will allow a unibit (stepped drill bit) to gain bite and then drill to the proper diameter. Unibits have come a long way and their being short is a big plus in this case as I was able to use a pretty sizeable drill and still be able to do this on the car.

Use a rotary gasket grinder to smooth out the pan where you will be placing the flat side of your new flange as high as possible in the pan so thit it is not submerged when the pan is full and cut a relief if necessary but you want as much real estate in which your sealant will lie. Some obsessive compulsive types could fit a large diameter O' ring since it looks like you could fit one easily. I did not use one this time.

Test fit it to the pan and drill however many holes you want to hold it to the pan and then use the fact that you now have two holes in your pan to remove any metal particles by spraying brake cleaner with the wand to get them out of the pan. Maybe some worriers could use a magnet to confirm everything is good before finishing the install.

Then use some self tappers in stainless steel to tighten your flange to the pan with sealant.

I used the rest of the tubing from this one to weld onto the end of the stock turbo drain tube so it would allow me to use the stock nissan oil return hose (silver).

And here is the finished turbo drain tube and all parts used were genuine nissan save for the self tapping screws.

03-13-06_1205.jpg

Still going 30k miles and 1.5 years later with no leakage.

Notice that there are no sharp 90 degree corners like the stock offerings which allow coked oil baked from heat soak in the beariing housing to accumulate and eventually clog it.............all smooth curves.

Feel free to post it anywhere but it's name is "HowlerMonkey flange".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Alright, hose barb is installed on the turbo, now, where can I get a 3/4 ID hose that I can run the oil to the pan from?

Nobody really answered this question, I was wondering where I can find an oil proof hose to survive for the obvious high heat coming off the turbo.