HybridZ

Piston detonation ...can I reuse?

Dayz

As the title says, I am rebuilding my engine and see very little detonation. What is your advice? I could dismantle another engine to steal its piston, but that would be a lot of work.

Everything else look very good, I just want to make sure.

Here is the piston with markings and another one that look like the five others.

IMG_1160.jpg

I'd not reuse them... but who is saying the other pistons you get will be any better? You may end up weight matching with a set of drug scales (er...postage scales) and using POTL (Pick of the Litter) between the 12 you have to choose from...if I were using used parts, that would be where I'd tend to lean.

But only after very careful measuring of everything! Ring side clearance is like JS said, hare to 'eyeball' but once you stick a ring yer screwed!

I'd not reuse them... but who is saying the other pistons you get will be any better? You may end up weight matching with a set of drug scales (er...postage scales) and using POTL (Pick of the Litter) between the 12 you have to choose from...if I were using used parts, that would be where I'd tend to lean.

But only after very careful measuring of everything! Ring side clearance is like JS said, hare to 'eyeball' but once you stick a ring yer screwed!

LOL, I was thinking ash trays.

I guess I will dismantle the other engine and POLT (see tony's post) It is a very stock 240z rebuilt, as a present for my father...so no real performance is in the future.

If on this piston, my ring clearances are fine, is it usable or I will have a nice paperweight either way? What impact does it have on the rebuilt engine?

This camera is awesome, I can see a lot more detail on this pics than by looking at it.

Thanks guys,

Dayz

• Administrators

As mentioned already, scrutinize for broken/collapsed ring lands AND collapsed/cracked/broken piston skirts, as well as galling in the piston pin bores and out-of-round pin bores. If all is good, those pistons would be fine for a typical "stock" overhaul, otherwise they make for "ok" ashtrays or hardware containers.