HybridZ

loud exhaust ticket

skib

94 db at what distance? What speed/RPM? From in front/beside/behind the car? Any scaling/weighting to the reading? I could make a completely stock vehicle register well over 94 db at idle, if I wanted, just by sheer placement of the mic.

I don't know why he would want 3000 RPM specifically, rarely are any cars at that RPM when they are cruising along, I can drive my car from a start and not hit 3000 RPM, though I usually do, just to hear the turbo spool up and the BOV vent. :)

*EDIT*

I see a couple different tables there.

the one test is a moving test at 50 feet, the other is a stationary test but doesn't say that the RPM of the vehcile needs to be anything other than idle. Why would it need to be anything other than idle? Most people don't rev thier engines when they are sitting still. ;)

the tables I fall into its eather 95dB at 20in or 94dB at 25ft. it states "stationary test" but gives no guidelines to position of the mic or RPM's of the car.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skib, you can get your db checked at a clean air station. They'll do it for free. If it were me, I'd also get the emissions checked to see how rich your SU's are running. :mrgreen:

Which ones do those tests Hugh? The DEQ? I tried to test my 1969 Volvo 1800S at DEQ once for emissions back when it was running b4 I took it down for restoration and they wouldn't do it because the car was too old.

the tables I fall into its eather 95dB at 20in or 94dB at 25ft. it states "stationary test" but gives no guidelines to position of the mic or RPM's of the car.

You should be able to get them just for that portion of it.....there are no guidelines for how to do the test.

I better watch it myself then if you got ticketed because my 240Z was about as loud as yours.

Greg

Which ones do those tests Hugh? The DEQ?

I would assume any of them can do it (DEQ = Clean Air Station). When I had to get my 1982 tested, there is a place on the test results that said noise level and it said pass. I assume that if it is on the borderline or above, they have the equipment to measure it and mark it as fail, if needed.

I tried to test my 1969 Volvo 1800S at DEQ once for emissions back when it was running b4 I took it down for restoration and they wouldn't do it because the car was too old.

I know for a fact that Gary Moissant did it. I don't see why the DEQ would refuse, unless they are totally slammed that day. Even if a car is pre-1975, you'd think it would still be in everyone's best interest to know how the emissions are measuring. I bet if you asked nicely they would comply. :wink:

Hugh, this was about 1996 that I tried to get the Volvo checked there, and they were slow and the guy refused to check it, but things have certainly changed at the DEQ since, so maybe they might check older cars...who knows. I'll have to try it and see.

I've always assumed the noise level thing on the test form was just a seat of the pants judgement by the operator myself.

Greg

Best of luck. Give em hell. :flamedevi

A buddy of mine got a ticket for loud exhaust a couple years ago while I was with him and he told the cop that he would jack the car up and let him crawl underneath and prove that it was all stock (Which it was) but the cop didn't care to much for the attitude and decided to give him another ticket for going 3 over the limit. Everything ended up getting delt with when he took it to court. Cop got into a bunch of trouble over the whole thing. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for the same thing since I'm running nothing but strait pipes and a cherry bomb. Just loud enough for me. :)

Best of luck. Give em hell. :flamedevi

A buddy of mine got a ticket for loud exhaust a couple years ago while I was with him and he told the cop that he would jack the car up and let him crawl underneath and prove that it was all stock (Which it was) but the cop didn't care to much for the attitude and decided to give him another ticket for going 3 over the limit. Everything ended up getting delt with when he took it to court. Cop got into a bunch of trouble over the whole thing. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for the same thing since I'm running nothing but strait pipes and a cherry bomb. Just loud enough for me. :)

now THATS an exhaust ^_^

on a 1978 280z...straight pipe...the only way to go! sounds sexy as hell around 5500rpm......yummmmmm...i get hard everytime the rpm's climb up in that neighborhood lol. and at night if i romp on her and let her climb to right above 6k, and shift...you can see a mini flame comin out:twisted:...accompanied by the boomstick noise!

i live in arlington, tx...between dallas and ft. worth , in mediocre suburbia...and i have never been hassled(knock on wood) for my pipe...

jeremy

My thought exactly, theres no set standared on 3,000 RPM's.

Thats like saying all cars are the same and loud at 3K can't be

quiet on another, stock or otherwise.

And the descreation of the officer is inherently unconstontutional.

~Z~

I would fight it just as you are going to. See, in my case, I KNOW I'm wayy over the limit, whatever that is in CA. You just can't have "quiet" twice pipes ^_^

You would be very suprised what 'loud' is, in California. The test is VERY specific, and is the reason a lot of the 'ricer tips' have the 45 degree angle on them pointing to the sky. The CA test gives a specific distance behind the car, and that little deflection upwards makes curiously loud sounding exhausts pass with flying colors.

In many cases with four cylinders, it's intake noise that gets them pulled over, and there is no way to replicate the noise in front of the judge on a free-rev. Curiously there is no induction-noise limit for veicles in CA, and when tested many ticketed vehicles pass. Greddy was giving out copies of the CVC with each of their exhaust systems for a while, and a 'certificate of compliance' for people to show to the judge to get their tickets tossed out.

I have twice-pipes (modeled after the Z432 OEM System) and while there is some resonance at torque peak when free-revved, on the road the car actually falls eerily silent around 90mph. Were I geared correctly, this could happen around 70mph as well. All depends on tuning of the system.

As people have suggested, find out what the section of the law is that you were cited under and test compliance accordingly. They can't just right 'loud exhaust' normally a citation must have vehicle codes attached for the violation to be valid. If they cited a moving standard when they tested you stationary, make sure you pass the stationary test and argue that you aren't looking to get out of a ticket, that you realize he made a clerical error, but that your vehicle indeed complies with the section he MEANT to cite you under.

As for the License Plate...here in CA, it must be visible from the front of the vehicle, and at a height no less than XX" (I think it's 17) and no more than 54" from the roadway. Meaning one properly propped up on your dash would comply (other than the 'no covering' ordinance) And if they cite you for that, yo usimply show up with it on the front bumper.

Not that I EVER would sign off my own fixit ticket and go directly to the courthouse to pay the $10 Administrative Tax with an unfixed vehicle...but I'm not beyond suggesting that is a totally illegal and viable option to someone inclined to flaunt the spirit of the law in such a way...:icon55:

94 db at what distance? What speed/RPM? From in front/beside/behind the car? Any scaling/weighting to the reading? I could make a completely stock vehicle register well over 94 db at idle, if I wanted, just by sheer placement of the mic.

I don't know why he would want 3000 RPM specifically, rarely are any cars at that RPM when they are cruising along, I can drive my car from a start and not hit 3000 RPM, though I usually do, just to hear the turbo spool up and the BOV vent. :)

*EDIT*

I see a couple different tables there.

the one test is a moving test at 50 feet, the other is a stationary test but doesn't say that the RPM of the vehcile needs to be anything other than idle. Why would it need to be anything other than idle? Most people don't rev thier engines when they are sitting still. ;)

As a licensed cehicle inspector for the state of texas the law read Db testing to be done at 30 ft from the rear of any vehicle at idle. Meaning side exhaust would easily pass. Front and rear bumpers are not required. side markers are required, not necessarily direct lighting but vehicle must be lit in some way front and rear on both sides. believe it or not a guy came in with reflective tape inside his front headlight buckets that did reflect light making the car visable from the side at night and another guy mounted led's under his bumper lip that also had to say was legal. Why not license it as a antique??? that lets you get away with a lot of stuff. Personally i ran turbo mufflers with a cut out that routes the exhaust around the muffler and back into the rest of the system. cutouts are only illegal "IF" they lead to another open pipe, by law my way is classified as a bypass system and nothing is mentioned about that.

As a licensed cehicle inspector for the state of texas the law read Db testing to be done at 30 ft from the rear of any vehicle at idle. Meaning side exhaust would easily pass. Front and rear bumpers are not required. side markers are required, not necessarily direct lighting but vehicle must be lit in some way front and rear on both sides. believe it or not a guy came in with reflective tape inside his front headlight buckets that did reflect light making the car visable from the side at night and another guy mounted led's under his bumper lip that also had to say was legal. Why not license it as a antique??? that lets you get away with a lot of stuff. Personally i ran turbo mufflers with a cut out that routes the exhaust around the muffler and back into the rest of the system. cutouts are only illegal "IF" they lead to another open pipe, by law my way is classified as a bypass system and nothing is mentioned about that.

In the OR law it only states tests as "moving" or "stationary" and dosent state an RPM but the cop had me rev it up to 3k, curious.

Im taking it to a clean air station (DEQ tester) and have them dB it for me so I can hopefully get some sort of official print out of my results. I work and go to school all week so I havent had time to go do it yet :?

I cant license it as an antique because then your limited on how many miles or where you can drive the car and its my daily driver.

Dude with Militant Rabbit Avatar Wrote:

"I cant license it as an antique because then your limited on how many miles or where you can drive the car and its my daily driver."

How do they enforce the annual mileage limitations on 'Antique Vehicles'?

Is there an Annual Declaration you must make to the state?

Do they use an Annual Declaration to your insurance company?

Do they require you to come in and randomly have the mileage verified?

Do they require you to make an affirmation that you will not exceed some set mileage limit, or do they merely inform you that is the limit and to not exceed it?

/The following is Not a Political Statement, merely Observation of Fact, I'm Not trying to circumvent site protocols on political discussions, nor to start one./

Legislators are big on telling you what to do...but in many cases are very sorely lacking in followup. There are several states that make similar such requirements but have absolutely no mechanisims in place to confirm or track that the vehicle is not used in the manner which it is relicensed! No actual realtime mileage tracking.

I had a heluva time with AAA SoCal because for years my wifes Corvair and my 73 240 registered '0' miles annually. Kept getting kicked out of their system, and required them to call us informing us of our error. "We didn't drive it last year." Seems simple, huh? Don't get me started on what happened when they were dropped from the insurance roles, but inadvertently got registration paid and not PNO status put onto them...

Skib, no way you'll be able to get antique plates in Oregon, since your car wasn't built in 1954 or prior. We don't have "Historic Vehicle" plates like California...

What we do have is Special Interest plates, and your 240 is already at least 25 years old. Special interest means you can only drive to group events, shows, races, etc. (but no mention of mileage) Oregon Plate Types link

What would be really cool is to find some vintage "Pacific Wonderland" plates and have those transferred to your 240Z:

plpacwnr_small.jpg (I bet you don't see many of these around anymore)

I don't know if it is possible, but I know you can keep the same plates that were issued at the time your car was first registered...I think these might be the "Period Correct" plates. :mrgreen:

Look at a supertrapp disk only. You can tune it for sound an back pressure by adding and subtracting disks. They use them on track cars so should meet your needs.

I run a 5 inch disk super trap muffler, I have been pulled over in Ca. for loud pipes. You would need to use another muffler/silencer somewhere else in the system to keep her hushed up. But I do like the tune-ability.

as the guy on the Harley with straight pipes rolls by.............

"Loud pipes save lives"...the guy on the HOG for one.

Drag your lawn mover down and ask the judge if you run this bad boy will you expect more citations? Sounds like a subject Adam Corolla would have a few words on (chicken "S" ticket). After all it is statistically proven that more murders and thieves started their lives of crime disturbing the peace and not properly displaying front plates.

• 1 month later...
Sounds like a subject Adam Corolla would have a few words on (chicken "S" ticket). After all it is statistically proven that more murders and thieves started their lives of crime disturbing the peace and not properly displaying front plates.

hahaha to true.

Well I finally got this wrapped up and having a well preped case and banking on the fact that he did not in fact Db test my car but meerly played it by ear and Im clear of all charges.

:mparty: