HybridZ

loud exhaust ticket

skib

Like the title says, the charming folks over at the Salem, OR PD gave me a nice ticket for loud exhaust and no front plate (even though its clearly visible in my window)

Iv got an L26 with a header and 2.5in piping to a flowmaster muffler, is there a cheap 2.5in silencer or resonater I can slap on to be under the dB limit if I accualy am? He didnt have a dB tester or anything he just said it was to loud :evil:.

I really hate when cops are having a boring enough day to issue such tickets.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, Im going to just ziptie the plate to my grill and bring a picture and it'l get dropped. :icon45:

As for the exhaust since he didnt have a dB meeter that I saw Im going to get it tested before and if its above Ill get it tested after a resonator/silencer is put in and Ill just bring in the test papers or somthing.

I just want to get a cheapo silencer I can stick in the muffler to please the court then pull it out later lol :twisted:

dose anyone know for sure what the dB max in OR is?

Have you thought about just making it quieter, rather than trying to find a temporary fix to get around the ticket. I hate to be buzzkill, but it sounds like you've completely discounted the possibility that your car might actually be loud and might actually bother other people.

I'd leave it the way it is w/ the muffler and show up. This was back in 94, but I had a cop literally jump in front of my car and flag me down.

I got a ticket for No bumper, no turn signals and to loud of a muffler. I fixed the bumper and signals, but left the muffler alone, flowmaster also.

The girl at the courthouse was like okay your fine. :)

Now the difference may be in the size of your city. If your in a small town (sticks like you say) you may be better off replacing it.

Some cops are so blatantly discriminatory that they even admit it!

I used to drive my old "shop car" (Evo 8) around every now and then. It was still a street car, but had a race ported head, race block (lightened, knife edged, no counter-balances, etc), 3" exhaust with GT35R and no catalytic converter, etc. It was loud enough (and deep) to thump your chest at idle. I got pulled over for a little bit of speed (maybe 7 over). He noticed the stinky exhaust, the five point harnesses (seat belts removed), stripped rear interior and no front plate (among other things). He only gave me a verbal warning as he eyed my car over. He said "usually I pull these little imports over when I see a shiny muffler, but since yours is done so nicely I will let you go". :icon56:

SKIB....After studying the tables found at OREGON ADMINISTRATIVE RULES, I seriously doubt that your car is actually illegal. Have the sound level checked in accordance with the guidelines outlined in the tables and if I'm correct, plead not guilty and show the results to the court. Those sound levels are apparently the law in your state and the decision of your car being too loud is NOT up to the desecration of the police. Let us know how it turns out.

Have you thought about just making it quieter, rather than trying to find a temporary fix to get around the ticket. I hate to be buzzkill, but it sounds like you've completely discounted the possibility that your car might actually be loud and might actually bother other people.

I know its loud, I made it that way. and its not an unreasonable possibility that its over the legal 94dB but I never saw him pull out a dB tester nor did he state he was testing, he only asked me to bring it up to 3k rpm. Iv spent my entire life being hassled and profiled by cops, (and no I dont have a record, and I have met nice cops I dont label all of them as bad) I fight things like this every time because I know its BS and I want these bored boondock cops to know just because hes got a badge on his shirt hes not god, just a goon with about 60IQ.

Its a $94 ticket, I fight it purely on principal.

Mayolives: The legal max in OR is 94dB in my case and Ill have it tested as is and if its legal Ill bring in the papers proving so and give them heat about handing out false tickets. If not Ill make it legal and bring the papers, then rip out the silencer when I get home :twisted: lol

I'd leave it the way it is w/ the muffler and show up. This was back in 94, but I had a cop literally jump in front of my car and flag me down.

I got a ticket for No bumper, no turn signals and to loud of a muffler. I fixed the bumper and signals, but left the muffler alone, flowmaster also.

The girl at the courthouse was like okay your fine. :)

Now the difference may be in the size of your city. If your in a small town (sticks like you say) you may be better off replacing it.

funny he never bothered to notice my no bumpers and shaved side markers:burnout:

94 db at what distance? What speed/RPM? From in front/beside/behind the car? Any scaling/weighting to the reading? I could make a completely stock vehicle register well over 94 db at idle, if I wanted, just by sheer placement of the mic.

I don't know why he would want 3000 RPM specifically, rarely are any cars at that RPM when they are cruising along, I can drive my car from a start and not hit 3000 RPM, though I usually do, just to hear the turbo spool up and the BOV vent. :)

*EDIT*

I see a couple different tables there.

the one test is a moving test at 50 feet, the other is a stationary test but doesn't say that the RPM of the vehcile needs to be anything other than idle. Why would it need to be anything other than idle? Most people don't rev thier engines when they are sitting still. ;)