HybridZ

DC Water Jet's 202mph Z-Car

notice the red hat my dad has on. Thats what I am after.

Am I failing to see something on his hat that makes this red hat something special, or are you saying you are trying to put the bill of a baseball cap onto the front of your car as an extension???

Both ideas sound almost wholly baseless, unless its the right idea... and I'm not certain which one you meant (although I've a hunch its just the ballcap metaphor.)

In any case, it sure looks... Exotic. It reminds me alot of the old Porsche racers, in a way that makes me think I oughta hate it.. but I find it mesmerizing....... What I am saying is that I am torn between love and hate, but I've got a biiig grin on my face either way. :2thumbs:

World finals going on at the salt now, Got these images off landracing and SCTA site. only info I have is Victory motorsports, made a run so far at 161.95 mph. maybe someone here knows the car.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Wow, those guys can claim my dollar!

I wonder if they are out of Wisconsin. The year I missed, Andy gave our distributor shaft to some guys with a 'red 240Z' that needed one. We made our records that year, we didn't need it till next year anyway...:mrgreen:

As for the comment on the cap being nothing special...argh! Thank you JC... I was about to scream.

"Not Available in Stores" is one way to put it.

"More Exclusive than the 'I climbed Mount Everest' Club"

More people have climbed Everest, than have acquired that hat. One task gets easier as the years progresses due to technology, the other becomes more difficult to get due to technology...you should be able to figure out which is which...(I hope!)

(Hint: If Everest grew porportionally taller each year as climbing technology progressed, you would have a rough approximation of what it takes to get the 'Red Hat'...)

Yep, exclusivity is sometimes misinterpreted by the hype surrounding the activity...

Some stuff simply gets easier to do as technology advances.

In the case of the 200 mph club, it's Catch-22. If you can go faster because of technology, so can all your competitors. And unless you break one of their records first...it can become increasingly difficult to acquire said chapeau...

Pretty soon, I'm expecting the only realistic 2 Club Attempt left will be in J/PS... everything else will simply be so high up or in the 3's that a J car is the last displacement you will be able to break in at a clean 200.001 mph...LOL

It's cryptic enough to go over my head as well Gary...

WTF?

I think the art of communication is truly dead. I can't find anything to link with that comment. I guess a reference to whom is was directed at, or if it was a totally unrelated Tourette's-Style utterance would go a long way to quell my curiosity!

At the 200mph club meeting this year they also mentioned more people have been to space than are in the 2 club. (not saying I would rather have a Red hat than a flight to space)

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

I was reffering to this statement. Surely if you factor all the motorsport drivers, more people have went over 200 mph than into space. But I guess LVSALT was reffering to this special rules you land speed guys go by.

Not at Bonneville they haven't. Or any of the other SCTA sanctioned events.

Going 200mph is easy, buy a Veryon and go 200 mph.

Now do it with people watching, in a set distance, over a two-way average with strict compliance scruitineering as to engine displacement, etc and it gets more select. There have been F1 Drivers who have come to the salt and gone away not only with no hat, they didn't even come close to the record they thought they would easily set despite the trailers of support engineers and technological help they received.

I've gone faster in my street car that we have at El Mirage. Then again, it doesn't meet the specs for my class. Which is why I salute those guys going 161 in the stock body Z. That is SOME accomplishment!

Going over 200 is not really the point, it's doing it under the conditions required, compared to others competing in the same class of displacement.

Every year each and every one of the other places it could possibly occur, it gets easier due to technology.

At the salt, every year, for the exact same reason it gets easier everywhere else, there it gets HARDER.

It's not just going 200mph. It's breaking a record that is 200mph or more in the class. If you break a record and it's over 200mph, that does not mean you automatically get your cap. There are rules for the 200mph club that set more stringent speed requirements that are usually higher than the standing record. It's not simply going 200 that gets it for you.

You have to go faster than someone else's record that is over 200 mph. And every year everybody is going faster, so the bar is continually moved higher. For the same displacement. For the same induction style. For the same body class.

It's not like NHRA where you can run unlimited displacement and the guy with the big engine goes the fastest. There are people with 2 liter cars with the Red Hat. Bit more work there than using a 8 liter to go the same speed, don't you think? And the particular conditions that exist at Bonneville add challenges that are unique in the motorsports world.

And that was the contention. Those other people you contend have gone over 200mph---all they need to do is take their car to Bonneville and run there to get that cap. But again, it's not merely going to that set bar speed, it's going faster than someone else in the same class as your car... or performing to the boards expectation of the vehicles capabilities above 200mph to the level they set.

The statement wasn't inclusive of motorsport drivers, it was limited to those competing to the set of rules extant at the salt. Same as it ever was... It's a bit different than buying a Veryon and making the run out of AbuDahabi to the Airport saying "I went 200+mph!"

Nobody stands in awe of The Stig and his feats of speed. But read the list of the 200MPH Club at Bonneville. There are names there that are like a who's who of motorsports history.

Not at Bonneville they haven't. Or any of the other SCTA sanctioned events.

Going 200mph is easy, buy a Veryon and go 200 mph.

Now do it with people watching, in a set distance, over a two-way average with strict compliance scruitineering as to engine displacement, etc and it gets more select. There have been F1 Drivers who have come to the salt and gone away not only with no hat, they didn't even come close to the record they thought they would easily set despite the trailers of support engineers and technological help they received.

I've gone faster in my street car that we have at El Mirage. Then again, it doesn't meet the specs for my class. Which is why I salute those guys going 161 in the stock body Z. That is SOME accomplishment!

Going over 200 is not really the point, it's doing it under the conditions required, compared to others competing in the same class of displacement.

Every year each and every one of the other places it could possibly occur, it gets easier due to technology.

At the salt, every year, for the exact same reason it gets easier everywhere else, there it gets HARDER.

It's not just going 200mph. It's breaking a record that is 200mph or more in the class. If you break a record and it's over 200mph, that does not mean you automatically get your cap. There are rules for the 200mph club that set more stringent speed requirements that are usually higher than the standing record. It's not simply going 200 that gets it for you.

You have to go faster than someone else's record that is over 200 mph. And every year everybody is going faster, so the bar is continually moved higher. For the same displacement. For the same induction style. For the same body class.

It's not like NHRA where you can run unlimited displacement and the guy with the big engine goes the fastest. There are people with 2 liter cars with the Red Hat. Bit more work there than using a 8 liter to go the same speed, don't you think? And the particular conditions that exist at Bonneville add challenges that are unique in the motorsports world.

And that was the contention. Those other people you contend have gone over 200mph---all they need to do is take their car to Bonneville and run there to get that cap. But again, it's not merely going to that set bar speed, it's going faster than someone else in the same class as your car... or performing to the boards expectation of the vehicles capabilities above 200mph to the level they set.

The statement wasn't inclusive of motorsport drivers, it was limited to those competing to the set of rules extant at the salt. Same as it ever was... It's a bit different than buying a Veryon and making the run out of AbuDahabi to the Airport saying "I went 200+mph!"

Nobody stands in awe of The Stig and his feats of speed. But read the list of the 200MPH Club at Bonneville. There are names there that are like a who's who of motorsports history.

Now that you have spelled it out, I guess I need to strap a turbo or two to my bike and go have some fun on the salt.

Well said (Tony D)

Sparks I have set two records over 200 mph and I am not in the 2 club. Alot of people could care less about the 2 club. I on the other hand have a goal of being a member. It was said in The Worlds Fastest Indian movie. "If you are a mountain climber you go to Everest, If your a Hot Rodder you go to Bonneville. That is my goal and im sticking to it.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

The movie evokes an emotional response.

I have not made it to ONE meet at ElMirage this year. I am now outfitted with the portable DVD Player, Stereo, and Projector to be able to project movies outside on my trailer side.

I'm betting the perennial favorite at the Lake will be "World's Fastest Indian"...

Kind of like Rocky Horror Picture Show for Gasolineheads! LOL

I liked that movie, I wonder how a Britten 1000 would do on the salt. They were made for twisty corners and acel/decel on a track rather than plain straight line top end speed, but they were the bike to beat for a while, and built in a kiwi shed just like that old indian was :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...