HybridZ

Wilwood caliper damage (PICS)

This caliper is off of my track car. It's seen about 15 days on track. It has leaked once from a bad seal. All seals were replaced, pistons and calipers cleaned and new rotors and pads were put back on the car.

At that time there was just a slight bit of anodization worn away. The machining marks were still visible in the cyclinder bores. That was about 4 or 5 track days ago. All poston bores are identical in the direction of the wear and they all look like this. It leaks.

The easy fix is to buy a new caliper but I don't want the new one to end up like this one. Any thoughts guys?

DSC001591.JPG

wilwood caliper

DSC001581.JPG

Links to full size photos

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/medium/DSC001581.JPG

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/DSC001591.JPG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a classic symptom of your car being too fast. If you will slow down so I can keep up it won't happen.

When I get home and sober up maybe I can offer an intelligent comment.

At the moment, this is about it.

jt

That is a classic symptom of your car being too fast. If you will slow down so I can keep up it won't happen.

When I get home and sober up maybe I can offer an intelligent comment.

At the moment, this is about it.

jt

Enjoy! I'll look forward to a sober analysis. :D

Both calipers or just one side? If it's only one side, I am going to guess a possible mis-alignment of the caliper to the rotor surface causing the pistons to cock to one side under pressure. Chack that the caliper is exactly perpendicular to the axle shaft. Measure the thickness of the pads front to back to see if there is any "slope" in them.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/calipertech.asp

Both calipers or just one side? If it's only one side, I am going to guess a possible mis-alignment of the caliper to the rotor surface causing the pistons to cock to one side under pressure. Chack that the caliper is exactly perpendicular to the axle shaft. Measure the thickness of the pads front to back to see if there is any "slope" in them.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/calipertech.asp

I have not taken apart the other side yet. I just measured the caliper face to the rotor and there may be 2 or 3 thousands differerents between the front and rear.

There is a bit of taper on the pads but nothing excessive.

jmortensen PMed me and his theory is caliper flex. I think that would account for the wear pattern in the bores. If it was a problem with alignment, I think the wear in the bores on the inside half of the caliper would be reveresed or a mirror image of the wear in the bores on the outer half of the caliper.

Does that make any sense?

Yup makes sense. Crooked caliper would be mirrored diagonally. Maybe you need grabbier pads or bigger calipers.

I've sent these pics to willwood and Dave at arizona Z. It will be interesting to see what they say. I'm sure the answer will involve more $$$.

I agree with Jon. Mark, I think you might be better suited with a stronger caliper. How was pad wear and is this with a solid or floating rotor? I think your rotors were solid 2piece, and you may want to go to a bobbins setup...

Mike

I've read so many posts with issues regarding the Wildwood (AZZcar brake setup) ...

are these even worth it or should I be looking elsewhere for a better brake package?

Opinions will vary. Probably best to start a new thread to generally discuss the AZC brakes instead of hanging it on this thread.

I've read so many posts with issues regarding the Wildwood (AZZcar brake setup) ...

are these even worth it or should I be looking elsewhere for a better brake package?

I really don't think this is a problem with Dave's stuff. I'll post any info I get from Dave or wilwood.

I agree with Jon. Mark, I think you might be better suited with a stronger caliper. How was pad wear and is this with a solid or floating rotor? I think your rotors were solid 2piece, and you may want to go to a bobbins setup...

Mike

It's a two piece solid set up. Arizona Z stuff. I wonder if Dave's hat could be made to work with something like this? It's Brembo hardware for there floating rotor setup.

Anti_Rattle_Assembly.JPG

Fasteners.JPG

I run the old non bridged super lights on my track car and never had a problem and talk to Dave quite a bit and have never heard of it. My street car doesn't get the same use so it would be hard to compare.

I think it's important to note here that Mark isn't your regular "student" HPDE driver... Mark, you're turning 2:10s (and probably faster) at VIR, and once you get beyond a certain level in performance, you're going to start seeing these anomalys.

I think two things are contributing to it, as I've had time to think about it without an adult beverage infront of me...

The solid rotor/ solid caliper mount is part of the issue (at your level of driving performance). You either need to get to a floating rotor, a floating caliper, or a stronger "monoblock" caliper like the Brembos we're using on my "other" car...

PICT0083.jpg

I'd personally recommend getting incontact with Coleman racing. They can make you a floating hat/rotor design in any size and rotor configuration you want. That's what I'm using on the black car and I have 19 days total on those front rotors.

Mike