HybridZ

C-130 carrier landings. No...really.

Globerunner513

Well some of you might have known about this before, but I just learned all this.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp

c130_3.jpg

Altogether, the crew successfully negotiated 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings, and 21 unassisted takeoffs at gross weights of 85,000 pounds up to 121,000 pounds.

At 85,000 pounds, the KC-130F came to a complete stop within 267 feet, about twice the aircraft's wing span! The Navy was delighted to discover that even with a maximum payload, the plane used only 745 feet for takeoff and 460 feet for landing roll.

There on the side of the fuselage, a big sign had been painted on that said, "LOOK MA, NO HOOK."

Really blows my mind what some of those planes & pilots could accomplish.

i used to fly the kc130 in the usmc. obviously never landed/took off from a carrier but did some in the simulator. on a regular air strip you came in pretty slow & dirty [full flaps and gear down] and just at touchdown you'd go to full 'flat prop pitch' [feathering the props to a flat pitch creats 4 large circles on the wings], stood on the brakes hard = full abs and then increased lift on the wings by pulling back the yoke. you'd be surprised how quickly they could be stopped.

I read someplace that they had to modifiy the landing system so that they could go to reverse on the outboard engines just before landing then basically drop the plane on the deck. As for take off they used the rocket assist to take off, like Fat Albert does in the Blue Angles shows.

HB280ZT

Retired NAVY

Thought this might be interesting to add. This is from the Third Division off of Naples in WW2. An Army aircraft carrier! It is an LST that was converted by the army for spotter planes used for amphibious assaults. Talk about a one way trip.

armyairru5.jpg

I was an AF aircraft maintenance officer for a lot of years with C-130s and they can be configured to do amazing things - like drop 10,000 pound bombs out the rear hatch by parachute to clear a helicopter landing area in the jungle. I don't see any JATO on the carrier take off - they'd be visible on the sides by the paratroop doors if used.

Dennis

C-130 A

C-130 B

C-130 H

A long time ago.

In a place far far away.

it looks scary, I'm glad I wasn't on it.

That was the Credible Sport program. We were going to land in the soccer stadium across the street from where the hostages were. The crash at the end of this video was caused by a crewmember hitting the "stop" button too soon. We built two of these, the other one is still at Warner Robbins AFB museum if I'm not mistaken. Didn't quite have all the bugs ironed out before Carter went with the now infamous helicopter rescue/debacle. IBM did the computer that timed the rocket firing. I blame them. :)

I read someplace that they had to modifiy the landing system so that they could go to reverse on the outboard engines just before landing then basically drop the plane on the deck. As for take off they used the rocket assist to take off, like Fat Albert does in the Blue Angles shows.

HB280ZT

Retired NAVY

Harry,

They would override the weight on wheels switch and that will allow the props to reverse (at least in a P-3).

Dave,

Did you have the same override?

I'm on a river valley farm about 20 minutes flying time from NZ's main air force aircrew training base, I've had C-130's scream past at a low enough height that you can look DOWN on them from the top paddocks. the manuverablity of those fat birds is pretty amazing, they'd turn the corner by the bridge where the valley pinches in and turns about 90 degress on a 45 degree bank and still keep the higher wing below the valley sides. Any SAM radar would have to be sited IN the valley itself to find them.

I'm on a river valley farm about 20 minutes flying time from NZ's main air force aircrew training base, I've had C-130's scream past at a low enough height that you can look DOWN on them from the top paddocks. the manuverablity of those fat birds is pretty amazing, they'd turn the corner by the bridge where the valley pinches in and turns about 90 degress on a 45 degree bank and still keep the higher wing below the valley sides. Any SAM radar would have to be sited IN the valley itself to find them.

They do lew levels around the panhandle of FL and I once saw an awesome sight of an HC-130 refueling a pair of helos while flying down the valley just north of Durango. For the Spec Ops birds, manpads and AAA are more of a threat than tactical or strategic SAMs.

My nephew is in special ops and for his latest HALO training they did a night landing and take off from carrier in a MC130W. He won't tell me many details, but he did say he saw Ensenada when he left the plan and landed just north of El Centro.