HybridZ

RB26 FMIC need opinions

dwarlick

I just did a quick mock up of my new FMIC and need some help. I wanted to use the stock holes in the radiator support, but the IC I got ended up being too wide to make the 90 degree turn. I then got the idea that if I flip the IC over I could angle the piping a little to make the 90 degrees.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

PICT1742.jpg

Looks like the same exact one I purchased. I mounted it as far forward as I could. I eliminated the extra bends in the piping this way. I know that theoretically you want the intercooler close to the radiator in this situation. You will end up with weird eddy currents in between the two and an overheating issue. I havent tested a solution yet, but Im going to put an electric fan in between the two on the front of the radiator and use directed fins to guide the incoming air through the Intercooler and directly into the radiator area. Hopefully this prevents the air from stalling behind the intercooler. I will find out when I start running. I figure its worth a try to escape the extra bends in the piping.

The more clamps you add to the system the more you are prone to blowing things apart.

I suggest the same as above. have a Pro welder look at it. You can cut the straight sections off and add tight 90s and it will be almost perfect fit thru the holes here s a pic of my intercooler with this don't to it.

Yea i don't have a core support But these could be fabbed to fit the stock core support

DSC02638.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

you might have to cut the short side radius of the 90 degree bends a bit and sacrifice the tiny percentage of airflow that will cause turbulence in that area, but I think it will be much like many port designs that are not quite 90 degrees in design.

I would center the IC a bit more and have two 90's on either side at the top (or at the bottom would work too in this case) and start cutting the short sides of the 90's together until you reach a suitable even ended pipe route.

I think it would be better than to have one full 90' and one 45-type weirdly offset cut 90' on the other end. It should be just a U-Bend cut in half to get part way there.

Car looks clean, too! I wish my cars were that clean to work on. LOL

also, what J S. is trying to say and what stony is illustratating is that you don't have a clamp in that are, it's just welded after cutting off the straight hose-mounting section that's currently there.

Took me a second look to see it in stony's post, so it probably slipped you too, LOL.

never know!

Heres a picture of my old setup, its not a Rb26 but I think its the exact same intercooler. Looking back at this picture I cant believe I even put that thing on my car..its rediculous. At least for a L28 anyway....

I used four tight radius 90's worked out awesome, put the couplers inside the engine bay which makes for easy servicing.

Picture_087.jpg

I take it that intercooler (and others shown below) are just std alloy aftermarket coolers meant for the R33/34 skyline ?

Yea, heres another use of stock holes.. :)

33118184390.jpg

Actually, this one afew of us were able to purchase from a fellow member afew years ago. James Thagard. Is that the right spelling? I'm so terrible with names, but I do remember you James. lol Excellent Man to work with!

Has it been that long?

• 2 years later...