HybridZ

Gusseting the strut tube...

I once saw a strut tube come out of the base portion you see there--I think this was on Auxilary's car?? This modification looks like it would take care of that and ANY flex whatsoever. Nice gusset job, Jon. Your welding skills are improving too :mrgreen:

Davy

Geez, the struts are so heavy already.

What was the reasoning behind gusseting them?

Have you noticed any flexing, or are you just being cautious?

I don't think that little bit of weight is going to be detrimental to the handling.

Jon will undoubtedly provide us with some subjective and/or objective results after he re-installs the gusseted struts.

Others have documented flexing, which changes camber under heavy lateral loads. The .060" sheet metal gusset is not adding any significant weight. A couple ounces (literally) isn't going to matter.

As I stated, I have seen a strut separate, tube from the base! I like Jon's modification and it makes me feel better about putting some 30+ year old struts through some serious twisties. I'd call it cheap insurance :2thumbs: and I'll be looking forward to doing something similar to my own, but letting someone esle weld for me. If I could weld as well as Jon can now, I'd call myself Jesse James...I seriously can't weld :roll:

Davy

Nice job Jon!

Thanks!

Wanna weld up a couple more? :)

Sure! :) Just as soon as I'm done with my stuff... :wink:

Really it isn't a big deal to do this. Took me a bit of time to make a cardboard template to fit and then its just cutting and grinding the metal to fit the strut tube correctly. You could make the gussets and then have a local shop weld it up for you if you can't weld. I will mail you the template if you want.

John, it makes sense to me that the spindle isn't connected to the strut tube as well as it could be, and I'm going to run some huge tires and heavy springs. It didn't take long or cost much, and I've seen it on other cars, so I figured what the hell. I was making spacers for the Bilsteins to fit in the strut tube anyway, might as well do this while I'm in there.

I'm sure it strengthens that junction, but does it need strengthening and is the small amount of flex that others have measured bad? If the flex gains a tiny bit of negative camber, that can be a (very, very minor) good thing.

I personally have never heard of a failure in that part of the front strut. I've seen spindle and strut tube failures which were caused mostly from bump or side impacts. IMHO I would be more worried about how the welding affected the strut (from a failure perspective) then preventing flex at that junction.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that the part is now more fragile. In my mind the benefit gained is balanced by the risk of a stress riser from the welding so its an even trade.

I'm sure it strengthens that junction, but does it need strengthening and is the small amount of flex that others have measured bad? If the flex gains a tiny bit of negative camber, that can be a (very, very minor) good thing.

You mean gains positive camber. Force in at the bottom of the tire pulls out at the top of the tire; like a strut tower bar keeps the strut top from flexing outward under cornering loads.