suspension abnormality?

the setup:

280z chassis

complete '73 suspension

eibach pro-kit springs

tokico struts

17*8 front wheels & 17*9 rear wheels

215/40 front & 235/45 rear tires

alright with that being said, heres the deal, it seems like my car is constantly squatting as if it were under some serious hammering. the rear has obviously been lowered an inch but it seems as if my front suspension hasn't lowered any. springs are in correct position (front and rear). any thoughts? or am i just paranoid?

If you put 240Z springs and insulators on your 280Z, the ride height at the rear of your car is too low. The 280Z chassis has the strut tower sheet metal slightly higher in the chassis and it requires the longer 280Z rear struts, the 280Z specific rear insulator, and slightly different length rear springs.

Put 280Z parts on your 280Z.

Alternatively you can cut the front springs to get the ride height level.

If you put 240Z springs and insulators on your 280Z, the ride height at the rear of your car is too low. The 280Z chassis has the strut tower sheet metal slightly higher in the chassis and it requires the longer 280Z rear struts, the 280Z specific rear insulator, and slightly different length rear springs.

Put 280Z parts on your 280Z.

Alternatively you can cut the front springs to get the ride height level.

i don't like the thought of cutting springs. they're progressive springs so what negative effects would i be looking at if i did this?

edit: the reason for swapping the suspension is because a '73 was my first z but the frame was jacked so i bought a couple of 280z's. well the '73 had brand new brakes, bushings, and painted suspension

Yep, and if you did like me, and put a 78 Suspension under a 73, you play hell getting the back end down low enough to even look level!

you wanna trade suspensions? haha. as in swap both your front for my front and your rear for my rear. i have the suspension of a 73 under mine...

Yep, been there, tried that because I didn't know better. It won't work. my car looked like a lowrider with the back suspension sitting scary low. Like JohnC says the geometry is all wrong. Get some 280Z lowering springs and sturts and you're good to go.

the setup:

280z chassis

complete '73 suspension

eibach pro-kit springs

tokico struts

17*8 front wheels & 17*9 rear wheels

215/40 front & 235/45 rear tires

alright with that being said, heres the deal, it seems like my car is constantly squatting as if it were under some serious hammering. the rear has obviously been lowered an inch but it seems as if my front suspension hasn't lowered any. springs are in correct position (front and rear). any thoughts? or am i just paranoid?

Yep, been there, tried that because I didn't know better. It won't work. my car looked like a lowrider with the back suspension sitting scary low. Like JohnC says the geometry is all wrong. Get some 280Z lowering springs and sturts and you're good to go.

damnit man!!! i wouldn't be mad if i wasn't into the body work stage

You can put spring doughnuts under the thing to raise the rear of the car, or use the taller isolators.

If I was still regularly travelling to Paducah/Mayfield suspension bit shipping might have been possible...but from SoCal? Unlikely!

Though I am cutting up a brown 77 280Z and will soon cut up another... They do have the parts you desire (strut tubes)...but they're big, bulky, and heavy. Shipping would be a PITA. Look locally, or find some spring spacers to put on your lower spring perch. You're in NASCAR country...they should be all over the road! LOL

I was pretty upset when I did mine. The guy I bought it all from said it would work. But he was sent to Iraq so I didn't get too upset at him, don't think he knew it wouldn't work anyway. At the time I had a shoulder injury and had farmed it out. So I ended up paying twice, once for the 240Z stuff and once to put the 280Z stuff back. But I was able to use the 4 wheel disc conversion parts which was the whole idea anyway. I ended up selling the rest of the 240Z stuff to my mechanic so it wasn't a total loss. Live a learn, should have done more research here I guess.

quote=240zwannabe;948027]damnit man!!! i wouldn't be mad if i wasn't into the body work stage

You can put spring doughnuts under the thing to raise the rear of the car, or use the taller isolators.

I don't think that's going to be enough. The shock length is the same so you can put spacers in but they're just going to preload the spring and remove some droop, but they won't lift the chassis as needed in my opinion.

The car still has shorter strut tubes and insulators in it. The real fix is to get the right insulators, and either section the front struts to bring the front end down to match the rear, or get the 280 strut tubes to restore the rear ride height.

I don't think that's going to be enough. The shock length is the same so you can put spacers in but they're just going to preload the spring and remove some droop, but they won't lift the chassis as needed in my opinion.

The car still has shorter strut tubes and insulators in it. The real fix is to get the right insulators, and either section the front struts to bring the front end down to match the rear, or get the 280 strut tubes to restore the rear ride height.

so really i don't just need struts and springs i also need strut tubes?

i was looking into some coilovers. would the strut tube make a huge difference if i'm cutting them anyway? or does that totally depend on the length of the collar?

i'm tired of dealing with suspension. i bought my suspension and brakes already assembled when i got the 240z, then i had a weak spring so i had to buy a whole new set and now this...why would things ever go good? i've been working on this thing since i was 15!