HybridZ

Carbon fiber door panels

I was able to install the test set this evening. Even before they've been polished they look great. I intentionally left the armrests off. I like the cleaner look.

mark, i see that you 'screwed through' the panels to attach them to the door.

did you drill into the metal of the door and use simply sheet metal screws?

for the top of the panels, i assume they do not have the 'fuzzy' which sits against the window as it rolls up/down. does this, in your opinion, effect the operation of the window?

do you have power locks or planning to drill the lock pull hole later?

thanks

ps-love the color and bodywork on the z!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark, i see that you 'screwed through' the panels to attach them to the door.

did you drill into the metal of the door and use simply sheet metal screws?

for the top of the panels, i assume they do not have the 'fuzzy' which sits against the window as it rolls up/down. does this, in your opinion, effect the operation of the window?

do you have power locks or planning to drill the lock pull hole later?

thanks

ps-love the color and bodywork on the z!

Thanks. I did drill through the metal using simple sheet metal screws. There are four screws. We had not considered anything more sophisticated. I think it looks fine. There is a spot to drill out the lock pull but I chose not to. The CF rolls over to allow gluing of the fuzzy glass guide but I have not yet put that on. This was just a test fit of the first pulled part. We're actually tuning a few aspects for a tighter fit.

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have always admired your car, Mark, and wonder why you went with the other wheels instead of the CCWs you once had. The work on your car is nothing short of amazing and the new door panels will look right at home inside the passenger compartment!! :2thumbs:

Davy

Thanks. The CCWs are now used as race wheels with mounted slicks. The wheels in the new pics are street wheels.

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have always admired your car, Mark, and wonder why you went with the other wheels instead of the CCWs you once had. The work on your car is nothing short of amazing and the new door panels will look right at home inside the passenger compartment!! :2thumbs:

Davy

I have seen CF cloth on ebay in a variety of colors, and patterns fairly reasonably priced.

Unless things have changed, real CF is available in any color - as long as it's black! (to steal a quote from Henry Ford)

Other colors are fiberglass or kevlar or combinations thereof woven in with CF. Which leaves something to take note of, FG can be used in the same way as CF by using the same resins, bagging, and exposing the weave.

Exact same look for parts where weight or strength are not as important.

Wanted to also comment about that last group of photos posted of the cf door panels... funny in the one pick, the cf picks up the reflection of threshold plate and makes it look as though it has the chrome strip normally found on the original panels, cool!

$500 may sound steep, but is a nice alternative to dealing with those having the NOS panels on Ebay for sale at $700+ , or even good used ones with good chrome which can get pricey too.