HybridZ

Carbon fiber door panels

A small update to my RB 240Z- The bodyshop here in Austin, Al's Bodyworks, that did the bodywork and painted my car just finished making a set of Cabon Fiber door panels for the car. They made a custom mold (which took forever to get right) and just pulled the first sample panel. They look incredible and weight almost nothing. I can't wait to put them on the car.

If anyone is interested in a pair for their s30 feel free to call Al at 512-836-1851. After all the work put into the mold, I'm sure he'd be happy to run off more sets to try and recoup some of those costs.

I updated my car blog with pics. I'll add more when I get them installed.

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

mark

CFs30door_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess you could drill a hole for it.........But that is probably to much work..........................:twisted:

would it be possible to get a plunger, lever, and arm from a 240z or make one that would work with the 280z parts?

That I do not know, I do know though that the door is physically different on the top part. The plunger on the 280 is further forward than on the 240Z but the location is simply a slot cut into the top panel. With some clever thinking It's probable that you could move the lock+plunger assembly, after all it's not imperative to the basic operation of the door. You might simply be able to heat and bend the 280Z rod into shape. It's been a while since I've had a naked 240Z and 280Z door side by side so perhaps I'm making it more difficult that it really is. Beauty parts though eh!

Im also intersted in a price. I have a fealing CF will be a bit much for my Z budget tho, any plans to do them in FG?

Just to clarify- I'm not selling them myself. Al's Bodyworks is. He's a small shop here in Austin that does amazing work but isn't really connected to this whole interwebs thing so I did him a favor by mentioning the panels. They really are very nice and now that I paid for all the upfront labor (you can thank me for that :wink: it would be great to see some others enjoy the benefit. I personally hope he sees some sales from you guys but you'll need to call him directly (512-836-1851)

I would guess he'd happily do them in fiberglass as well.

Guest 280ZForce

well I just got off the phone with Al from Al's Body Shop and the result is this...

He won't do a group buy, no discounts. He will sell directly to individuals only.

$250/set for fiberglass

$500/set for carbon fiber

http://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/compositecarbon.html

oops, just noticed you're in aussie not the US, Last lot of carbon I bought was a single sheet of offcut from a boatmaker to clad a fiberglass bit I made. try looking through the phone book for boatmakers. especially racing boat and rowing skiff makers.