HybridZ

Eibach springs arrived, WAY SHORTER than stock?????

So I just opened the box from MSA and the Eibach pro Rate springs are WAY Shorter than stock.

The 260Z springs are 15.5 inches tall (all 4, unmounted)

The new Eibachs are.....

Fronts.. (189710) (6303.001) is only 10.75" tall ( 4.75" shorter than stock

Rears....(189712) (6303.002) is only 12.625" Tall ( 2-7/8" shorter than stock)

Is this correct? Are the fronts springs supposed to be almost 5" shorter than stock? And if they are, how does this only drop the car 1" to 1.5" ?????????

I'm don't want to install them until I hear from someone who has dealt with this before and can reassure that I'm not crazy.

Please help before I get overambitious and instal them just to see.

Dave.

DSC05144_thumb.JPG

Thank you Captain Obvious. I kinda noticed that as well.

I just got off the phone with Garrett? at MSA and he says that it is perfectly normal and that they are the correct ones. Unfortunately, I won't know how the car sits until the Whole suspension is done and that may be months from now, Being a (Winter project) and all.

Dave

Is this correct? Are the fronts springs supposed to be almost 5" shorter than stock? And if they are, how does this only drop the car 1" to 1.5" ?????????

Not sure about the part numbers. The new springs are stiffer, so the suspension won't have as much sag, that's how a much shorter spring can only lower the car a little bit.

Put the long ones in the back, tight coils at the top. When you put them in the springs will be loose on the perches. Not a problem, just make sure that they sit in the perches correctly when you set the car down.

So I installed the spring and strut to the left front strut assembly. Did'nt need my Brand New Spring compressor that I bought just for that moment, everything slid on and I bolted down the top peice and still have 1/2" of slop. I attached a few pics for reference.

So I agree with Jon but my final (hopefully) question is am I gonna have to double check the front perches Everytime I lift the front tires off the ground? What a pisser.

Hell, I was half tempted to cut the perches and raise them 5/8" just to make myself feel better and not listen to the spring "Clanging" around on the strut tube, and goofing up my nice paint job.

Thanks guys, That should do it for now..........

Dave.

DSC05147_thumb.JPG

DSC05149_thumb.JPG

DSC05150_thumb.JPG

Years ago, when I installed somebody's lowering springs, I recall that I cut the rubber biscuits from the bottom about 1". But they were substantially lower and shook my kidney srom their perches. Turbo Tom took them off and said they were not correct and installed his own set. That was about 12 yrs ago. After Tom's installation, people said it looked like a frog ready to jump. (It is a kelly green color)

If Rubber biscuits are "Bump Stops" then I totally understan. I was told to remove about 1" off the bump stops to assure that they did'nt interfere with day to day operation.

I have already removed the Full A/C unit (everything), the flat tops have been swapped for round tops (weigh less) and all the old paint and Bondo have been stripped from the front end. I'm pretty sure I lost at least 100 pounds off the front end. Especially if you consider the loss of all the old undercoating, grease, dirt, rust, and all the other un-needed crap.

I'm not stressing out anymore. I just had to be reassured of Eibach spring tension versus stock, the lowering of 1 to 1.5", and the fact that it'll also have 225/50ZR16's which sit a little lower than stock size tires.

Thanks agian guys,

Dave.

I got my Eibach springs installed today by Zspecialties here in WA man they make my car look and preform 100% better! If it wasn't so shitty out id take pics, maybe ill do tomorrow haha.

So Oliver got your springs in huh? He's a good guy and knows what he's doing. He want's me to get a few Harness's to sell at his shop.

Has everyone got their MSA Holiday Flyer yet? If so, You'll see 4 of my Electric Upgrades on page 10. Yeah for me, I feel almost popular now.

Dave.

So Oliver got your springs in huh? He's a good guy and knows what he's doing. He want's me to get a few Harness's to sell at his shop.

Has everyone got their MSA Holiday Flyer yet? If so, You'll see 4 of my Electric Upgrades on page 10. Yeah for me, I feel almost popular now.

Dave.

Good going Dave, you deserve the notoriety.... :D

Thank you Captain Obvious. I kinda noticed that as well.

He wasn't being sarcastic and was answering your question. John Coffey builds race cars among other things. You misunderstood him. I don't think he needed your comment....

Davy

To keep the springs from flopping around when I jack up the car I zip-tied them to the upper and lower perches in the front. There was even a small hole already there in both sets of perches for the zip-tie to fit through. The rears were compressed a bit when installed so no worries there

It seems that the front springs are a tad bit shorter then the back - in other words theres more of a gap on the back. Maybe they still need to break in. =]

Quite possibly. The lowering springs I put on my Volvo had to "settle in" over a period of a few weeks. The car's ride height looked better (believe it or not) as it evened out. I suspect the same for your springs---at least I'm hoping they do the same. This is a "matched kit" for the Z, so I would think it's going to happen.

I have Eibach springs on my 240Z and the body is pretty even as it sits so I think you're OK.

Davy

Quite possibly. The lowering springs I put on my Volvo had to "settle in" over a period of a few weeks. The car's ride height looked better (believe it or not) as it evened out. I suspect the same for your springs---at least I'm hoping they do the same. This is a "matched kit" for the Z, so I would think it's going to happen.

I have Eibach springs on my 240Z and the body is pretty even as it sits so I think you're OK.

Davy

Yeah I hope so!