HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

I had a problem getting any sort of stable idle once. Turns out I hadn't tightened down the fuel pump and had a giant air leak from there. It just kept fluctuating from 800-2000 rpm until I found the culprit.

Duuuuuude, would having the little plate on the front of the head off cause that as well? I had it off checking out my fuel pump and didn't put it back on for the minute or two that I ran it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! It runs, and quite well at that. :lmao: I think it was a combination of things that needed fixed or adjusted. I put that cover back on, we tuned on the carbs some, and set the timing. Here's the end result:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV00003-2.flv

I'm probably gonna drive it around the block tomorrow. :cool:

EDIT: Here's a much better vid.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV00006.flv

HELL yeah!!! :rockon:

Your valves are a trifle noisy, but that could be as simple as your camera being a leeeeetle bit sensitive to the normal valve noise. Just make sure you check warm clearances after a bit, especially if she seems quirky as far as needing to warm up excessively, or anything like that.

Sounds great man.. Once you get these carburetors close the fine-tuning is largely a matter of economy points; not really awful to just live with until you get it figured out. When a car doesn't run right its important to have tuning tools to rule out carburetion as a problem, but if you can get them that close, from that far off... you are pretty much set.

:2thumbs: have fun barking second, don't forget to torque your lugnuts for good luck

HELL yeah!!! :rockon:

Your valves are a trifle noisy, but that could be as simple as your camera being a leeeeetle bit sensitive to the normal valve noise. Just make sure you check warm clearances after a bit, especially if she seems quirky as far as needing to warm up excessively, or anything like that.

Sounds great man.. Once you get these carburetors close the fine-tuning is largely a matter of economy points; not really awful to just live with until you get it figured out. When a car doesn't run right its important to have tuning tools to rule out carburetion as a problem, but if you can get them that close, from that far off... you are pretty much set.

:2thumbs: have fun barking second, don't forget to torque your lugnuts for good luck

Yea, the valves are a little noisy. I haven't checked warm clearances yet, but I'll do that in the next day or two. It also has to warm up excessiviely like you mentioned. It won't run worth a crap for a couple minutes after it's cranked. As long as it's warm though, it'll start up and run just fine.

Alright, here's a cold (27F) start video to show how awfully it runs until it's warm. For the first 2-3 minutes, it won't idle unless you keep messing with the throttle. The first crank up, it will only crank with your foot on the floor.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV000020.flv

Yea.....and here is after it's warmed up. When it's warm, it cranks perfectly. It will also rev up great. However, if you try and hold it steady at say, 2,000 rpm, it will stay there for a couple seconds, then die off until you play with the throttle again. You can see that in this vid.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV000021.flv

At the end of that video, you can see it running about 1,000 rpm. That's with me giving it probably 20% pedal. It just stutters around 1,000 rpm and won't gain any unless you "play" with the pedal. You can also see in that video where it revs to 2,500 or more, then sputters down to idle, then back up....then down, etc. That's with my foot firmly in the same position. :confused2

ech, tuning carbs, NOT got a whole lot of experience there.. but I would inspect the vacuum advance diaphragm and make sure its working right, and basically make sure you aren't somehow getting a spark variation that is resulting in your wandering idle. From there I can't really help you much more.

You might want to get some carb spray and start spraying around with the car running. Pay close attention to how it runs when you spray around the intakes and any other possible suspect areas. You might have some residual vacuum leaks present. Then again, it might be something completely unrelated, but you're only out a cheap can of carb spray.

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to get some carb spray and start spraying around with the car running. Pay close attention to how it runs when you spray around the intakes and any other possible suspect areas. You might have some residual vacuum leaks present. Then again, it might be something completely unrelated, but you're only out a cheap can of carb spray.

Well guys, I feel like a complete idiot. :lmao: I got to work on the car yesterday and today for the first time in a while. Yesterday, I got two of my new tires mounted and started on my exhaust. I didn't work on it very much at all though, because it was about 30*F out, and I like my fingers to have feeling in them. :mrgreen: So today, I finished up the exhuast and decided to try blue72's suggestion of the carb cleaner on my engine problem. I finally got the car to idle and I started spraying around the front carb. Turns out, everywhere I sprayed it around the front carb, it would idle up. Then.....I found it. My damn front carburetor wasn't tightened down! :fmad: I had a few friends over the day I put them back on, and I guess I was side tracked at the time. The nuts were just run up loosely by hand on the studs and I could even see a gap between the carb and the spacer. I hurriedly tightened those down........and BAM. Instant perfection. This thing purrs like a kitten now. I drove it about a mile or so, and I am THRILLED. I'm sure I would have found this sooner or later, but the carb cleaner sure did speed up the diagnosis. Thanks blue72! BTW, the exhuast quietened it down A LOT, and it doesn't sound half bad if I do say so myself. Pics to come later today. :cool:

Brakes are fixed! biggrin.gif Turns out, the master cylinder was fine, it just needed some fluid and a little bleeding. Now it'll make the seat belts catch if you stomp it hard enough. anitoof.gif I got my other two new tires mounted, as well as the battery hold-down repaired, painted, and installed. I also got my fuel pump wired in. It's officially a running, driving car now. cool.gif I drove it probably 3-4 miles today with not one problem. I tell ya, with just a 99% stock L26 with flat tops, this thing gets up and goes pretty well. It'd keep up with my truck, for sure, if not pass it. looking.gif I didn't change the rear diff. or trans. fluid yet though. I checked them both and they were full and the fluid looked pretty good and clean in both, so it was fine for a couple of test drives. I'm definitely gonna change em out before it goes to Tuscaloosa though. If Christmas wasn't this week, it would be going down there this weekend. My insurance office is closed Friday though, and I assume the tag office is as well. Whenever I can get my mom and dad to come with me, it'll be there. I'll have to drive the Z, my dad will drive my truck, and my mom will drive her car. lol.gif That way I'll have my truck in case the Z messes up.......not that I don't trust my work, but it HAS been sitting up for 3 years. anitoof.gif

Well, I got insurance on it today. I'm going to get a tag in the morning, and then my roomate and I are going to pick it up on Friday. I've got a few last minute things to do to it and some test driving around town before we come back with it though. The farthest I've driven at one time is about 4-5 miles, and it's only gotten up to full operating temp a couple times. I'm going to give it a few more lengthy test drives to make sure everything's alright, and then it'll make the 70 mile trip to Tuscaloosa. If everything goes well, I'll be driving it daily starting Saturday. rocking.gif I also picked up a pretty nice Alpine head unit from a member on fullsizechevy.com that I'll be putting in here pretty soon. The first project is a new firewall pad, full ABS dash cap, and then the head unit install. I'm probably going to mount some fog lights up pretty soon as well. I've heard these cars suck for night visibility, so maybe that'll help some. I'll be sure to update this thread Friday if everything goes according to plan. cool.gif

Here's the spread of crap to put on Friday. lol.gif If you're wondering why there's only 13 lug nuts, it's because that's all the warehouse had when I ordered them at work. furious.gif I'm gunna stop by a couple of our other stores on the way home to get the others though. Apparently, 12mmx1.25 shanked lug nuts aren't easy to get ahold of. :icon56:

DSC00554.jpg

Today, I drove it back to Tuscaloosa. :-D It was about a 65-70 mile trip, and I didn't have a single problem with it. I must say, this thing is a BLAST to drive! Haha, I love this Z. I went on a couple of test drives this morning before driving it back, and the fuel filter stopped up once. I'm pretty sure it's because I was thrashing on it a little and stirred up some crud in the bottom of the tank. :lmao: I cleaned it out and was fairly easy on it the rest of the day, and it's still crystal clear (see-through filter). In a couple of days, I'll probably go shake the back of the car around a lot, let it settle to the bottom for a while, and then drain it until it runs clear. I'm hoping I can do that a few times and have it cleaned out pretty well. I'm about to go for a little drive in it. :D It's officially my DD now. :cool:

EDIT: It rolled over 62K miles on the way to T-town today. :D