HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news: no busted pistons. Slightly bad news: multiple valve to piston contact points. :lmao: Here's the pics.

valve7.jpg

Here's the bad one on cylinder 3, and another on cylinder 2

valve5.jpg

Cylinder 5 and 6

valve6.jpg

Well that's no good. :lmao:

valve8.jpg

Ordering parts today, and I might be able to come home again next week to put it back together..............CORRECTLY; unlike the DA's that did it the first time. :fmad:

You worried about the pistons at all?? A quick look at the pictures and I want to say you could just clean those nicks up and run the bottom end as is. I wouldn't necessarily say this so flat-footed, but you are wanting to swap engines anyhow, and the motor you are dealing with is (depending on how you look at it) either a 240 with the wrong stroke and rods, or a 280 with the wrong size pistons. In other words, a 260 motor isn't exactly premium for resale, so I wouldn't fret over it.

You worried about the pistons at all?? A quick look at the pictures and I want to say you could just clean those nicks up and run the bottom end as is. I wouldn't necessarily say this so flat-footed, but you are wanting to swap engines anyhow, and the motor you are dealing with is (depending on how you look at it) either a 240 with the wrong stroke and rods, or a 280 with the wrong size pistons. In other words, a 260 motor isn't exactly premium for resale, so I wouldn't fret over it.

Nah, I'm not worried about the pistons. I'm gonna clean up the burrs so no pieces come loose or anything, and run it. If something happens to it, like you said......no worries. :cool:

Well, I got lucky with getting parts for this thing. I figured I'd have to order most of them online. Turns out, we had the timing cover set in stock at work. $8

valve11.jpg

After calling literally every parts store in Tuscaloosa, I finally found an old "mom and pop" parts store that had a head gasket set in stock! They said it had been there at least 10-15 years. :lmao: I told them it'd probably be longer than that before they sold another one. It was imported from Japan as well. It's a lazorlite brand. $46

valve9.jpg

valve10.jpg

The valves are ordered and will be in Winfield tomorrow afternoon. They were $10 each. I'm going home (Winfield) tomorrow after class, and hope to get this thing back together by Thursday or Friday at the latest. :cool:

uhm, I may be sending you after a red herring, but check out the valve seal installation job as done by other members here.. it may be a performance type situation that doesn't apply to you, but something in my memory is flashing a "complication possible here" sogn when I see those valve stem seals.

uhm, I may be sending you after a red herring, but check out the valve seal installation job as done by other members here.. it may be a performance type situation that doesn't apply to you, but something in my memory is flashing a "complication possible here" sogn when I see those valve stem seals.

Haha, ok. I'll do a search on it. I think you're the only one still following my build. :lmao:

Nope, I'm still here and saving pictures of your gaskets to my hard drive for future reference. I'm interested in seeing a final video of it running here in a few days. That is, as long as everything else goes according to plan.

:lmao: Yea, cross your fingers for me.

Looks like you're making some good progress! Where did you get your new head bolts from?

I'm just reusing the old ones. This motor won't be in the car for long. As far as I know, these aren't TTY bolts, so I should be fine. The bolts were new when the engine was assembled 3-4 years ago, and I don't think it's been run more than a couple hours since then. It's probably not even broke in yet.

Here's today's progress. I took out the radiator, a/c condensor, evaporator, and a/c lines, as well as the distributor and water pump. It had the "dealer installed" a/c system in it that was disconnected when I got the car. I'm not interested in spending the money on it that it would take to get the a/c working again. The windows roll down just fine. :lmao: I ordered a new water pump because the bearing in the old one feels a little stiff. I couldn't finish taking the front cover off because I was waiting on my dad to bring his puller home from work. I'll get to that later on tonight.

valve15.jpg

I also plugged all the air pump injection inlets in the exhaust manifold so I could take all that junk off.

valve14.jpg

Head cleaned up and ready for 3 new intake valves.

valve12.jpg

....and the new valves.

valve13.jpg

I hope to get the front cover off tonight, and get the new valves in the head. I should be able to finish cleaning everything up and start putting it back together tomorrow. My goal is to drive it around the block before I go back to Tuscaloosa on Friday. :cool:

It will be nice to see the before and after pics. A clean, well tuned, and de-smogged, but otherwise bone stock L26 isn't a very common sight, especially not on this site!

Yea, that's the plan. :mrgreen:

Got quite a bit done tonight thanks to my dad's help. :cool: I got the balancer pulled off and the front cover taken off.

valve18.jpg

We ended up taking all 12 valves out and lapping them to ensure they all seal perfectly. We also replaced all the valve stem seals while we were at it. This picture speaks for itself.

:lmao:

valve20.jpg

All assembled with 3 new valves and ready to go.

valve16.jpg

valve17.jpg

Oh, and here's a pic of my new tires I got as a birthday present. :)

valve19.jpg

Re-assembly starts tomorrow. :cool: