HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

So THAT'S why my fuel filters kept clogging up. :lmao:

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

Yep, ALL of that was in my fuel tank, plus more that I couldn't shake out. I thought I was going to be able to just take it off, put some solvent in it, swish it around, and pour all of it out. I was wrong. lol, so I took it to a radiator shop this morning to have it acid dipped and steamed out. It cost me $45, but it'll be WELL worth it if it comes out pretty clean when I go to get it tomorrow morning. In the mean time, I did a full tune up on it with a Borg Warner cap and rotor, MSD Street Fire 8mm custom fit wires, and NGK plugs. It should be running excellently when I get the tank back in it. :cool:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the tank this morning and got it back on the car. They did a pretty good job with it, and so far, my filter is still crystal clear. :cool: I made a new fuel pump block off plate tonight and did some cleaning under the hood, so I'll have to get some new pics tomorrow. I think I'm having a small fuel delivery problem though. Sometimes it doesn't want to idle and stumbles when I start off, and then it stumbles randomly at higher rpms (4,500+). My guess is it's because I have my fuel pump so far forward in the system, and it's just not creating a whole lot of pressure. Does anyone think it would help things if I moved it back by the tank?

you don't need fuel pressure, you just need to keep your float bowls full.

Have you checked for proper function of the timing advance mechanism?? electronic ignition is REALLY the #1 A-1 swap o do on a points-sparked Z.

Hmm, no I haven't checked that yet. I'm sure there's a thread around here with a how-to for an electronic ignition swap. I'll search around. Thanks!

Alright, here's a few new pics. The battery in my roomate's D40 was dead (again :icon51:), so I took these with my phone.

phone3.jpg

phone2.jpg

:mrgreen:

phone1.jpg

New underhood pics since a good cleaning and tune up. The next project is to do something with that ugly air cleaner contraption. :lmao:

phone4.jpg

phone5.jpg

The new fuel pump block off plate I made at 3:00 am in the garage last night. :D

phone6.jpg

Here's a walk around vid. (cold start) The valves are a little loose, but I swear they're not that loud in person. lol, the video amplifies them for some reason.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/Videos/?action=view&current=MOV000015.flv

Here's a little acceleration vid. I wasn't really stretchin her legs, only revving to 4,200 or so. 2nd gear's plain fun. anitoof.gif Sorry for the long vid, the good part's towards the end. The squeeking is my steering column. lol.gif

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/Videos/?action=view&current=MOV000014.flv

• 2 weeks later...

......and then there was this.

mount2-1.jpg

:lmao: Most of you know what my problem was just by that picture. Soooo, I made my own version of the Ron Tyler mount today. After studying the drawings of the mount, I decided it was a little overkill, especially for a mostly stock L26. If I ever put the LT1 in it, I'll probably beef it up some. I made mine out of 1/8" x 2" and 1/8" x 1" steel with an extra gusset across the top. I built this at the place I used to work at (automotive shop at a Pepsi warehouse). My dad still works there and I'm friends with the manager. :cool:

mount4.jpg

mount9.jpg

Back when I worked at Pepsi, I mounted a new vice and welded a piece of 1/4" plate to the workbench just for this purpose. Little did I know I wouldn't actually use it until after I stopped working there. :lol:

mount5.jpg

mount6.jpg

Here it is almost finished. I just have to do a little more smoothing, drill the mounting holes for the poly mount, and paint it. I'm not drilling the holes for the final location of the mount until I get back in Tuscaloosa and can put it on the car and make it an exact fit.

mount8.jpg

mount7.jpg

I had to cut down the bulge on the side of the poly mount to make it fit between my gussets. It's quite an improvement over the leather belt. :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a little slow with updates. I got the new diff mount installed on Wednesday. Here's a couple pics of it. Between yesterday and today, I've driven it about 140 miles, and the differences between the two mounts aren't even comparable.

mount11.jpg

mount10.jpg

I also tested out undercoating a new patch of my wheel wells. The factory stuff was undercoating painted over with the body color, but I think just straight black undercoating will look better. No need to have shiny stuff in the wheel wells.

mount12.jpg

Here's a little update on the engine situation. I'm saving up some cash right now, and my bet is that it will go toward an Arizona Z Car intake and a 390cfm 4bbl Holley. The more I drive the thing, the more it's telling me to keep the 6 cylinder. I'm telling you guys, when it's running right, it's fun as hell to drive, and this inline 6 makes a noise you won't hear on anything else. Everyone's got a V8, right? I'm 90% set on keeping the L26. :cool: Looks like Daeron was right. lol

BTW: Can someone tell me who I should pm about editing the photo links that don't work at the beginning of the thread? I pm'ed SuperDan, but he didn't respond.

Turbo L-series basically.

It's the next natural step in evolution after the infection takes hold, and one I'm afraid I'm now pursuing.

Ah. I knew "gata" meant engine, just wasn't sure on the first part. I've always been a fan of n/a stuff, so I doubt I'll get the turbo itch. However, I've always been a fan of V8's too. :lol:

Yes, my translations was just a "hmmm, this sounds reasonable", plus, it was late.

I know that the L-Gata Module refers to the family of engines, but I'm not exactly sure what Turbo San Gata means.

I suppose if you were to think of it analytically then it could come up with a few different outcomes.

We already know what the word turbo references.

San can refer to the number three, or be used as an honorific or it might find use in some other manner entirely.

If it were used as an honorific then it'd mean Turbo Mr. Used as a number it'd be Turbo Three.

It seems Gata can have a few meanings, but the most common use being 'type'. Others might include shape, form or configuration. Now we come up with some other translations.

Turbo Three Type

Turbo Mr. Type

Turbo ??? Type

There, I think I'm now more confused than when I began.

Yes, my translations was just a "hmmm, this sounds reasonable", plus, it was late.

I know that the L-Gata Module refers to the family of engines, but I'm not exactly sure what Turbo San Gata means.

I suppose if you were to think of it analytically then it could come up with a few different outcomes.

We already know what the word turbo references.

San can refer to the number three, or be used as an honorific or it might find use in some other manner entirely.

If it were used as an honorific then it'd mean Turbo Mr. Used as a number it'd be Turbo Three.

It seems Gata can have a few meanings, but the most common use being 'type'. Others might include shape, form or configuration. Now we come up with some other translations.

Turbo Three Type

Turbo Mr. Type

Turbo ??? Type

There, I think I'm now more confused than when I began.

I've always more or less considered to to mean "Sir Turbo L-Series" Even though we don't use Sir (maybe "The Honorable Mister L-Series" would be a more Americanized translation) it seems more appropriate to me, but we all know how biased towards the L-series *I* am...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, time to wake this party up. :D

I picked up an Alpine cde-9843 about a month ago from a guy on another forum, and just installed it about a week ago. It's nothing fancy, but it beats the heck out of the factory rotary dial am/fm only unit. :icon13: Here's what I started with.

rad6.jpg

rad5.jpg

I took out the stock radio and here's the hole I was left with. I first thought I'd have to make a new plate to mount the sleeve in, but you can see where I planned to make some cuts in this pic.

rad3.jpg

Here's with it cut and filed and the new sleeve mounted.

rad7.jpg

Here's my fancy smancy mount. :lol: It's not that attractive or creative, but it works like a charm.

rad1.jpg

I put a piece of rubber on the factory mount between it and the radio.

rad2.jpg

I've also got some made for the top mount, just haven't got a pic of those. Here it is all mounted up. I painted the trim ring semi-gloss black, but it's just photoshopped black in this pic.

rad4.jpg

All finished.

rad8.jpg

rad9.jpg

I ended up mounting the power antenna switch in the pod on the left of the console where the temperature switch for the original a/c (I guess that's what it was?) was mounted. I made a new plate and painted it black, but it looks a little plain. I'll probably end up putting a nice Z decal or something below it. Overall, I'm happy with the results. :cool: