HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

Well, I had another thread with some pictures in it, but it was more of a "I think I might buy this car, help me out," thread. I'm going to keep a log of my progress on it in this thread. Here's what she looks like now.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

I'm fairly sure this is the original paint, but I'm going to verify that with the owner today. If you didn't see my other thread, I bought this car from the original owner with just 62,000 miles. There are a few dents here and there, and the right rear quarter got bumped into, but the body is in excellent shape overall. It hardly has enough rust on the bottom of the rockers and quarters to make the paint bubble up. The floorboards are very solid in this car. Today, I'm going to clean it up and see what kind of shape the paint's really in. I also had a few questions. The car hasn't ran in about 3 years, and I'm going to try and get it running again. What do you suggest I do? I was going to drain the gas and put a new battery on it at the least. Do these cars have a drain on the gas tank? An oil change will also be in order. Also, I may have to rebuild the carbs. I'm going to inspect the brakes and probably at least flush the old fluid out and put new in. Do you think I should go with new pads and shoes as well? I know I will later, but would the pads/shoes be a safety concern considering it's been sitting a few years? Thanks guys

-Grant

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I brought it back to my house the morning. Well actually, my parent's house in Winfield. I had to be back in Tuscaloosa (about 80 miles away) at 4 today, so i didn't have a lot of time to work on it. I got the outside cleaned up fairly well, and the carpet cleaned up as well. I didn't get to the seats or dash, but I think they will clean up pretty well too. Here are the pics. :cool:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

I won't get to work on it again until Friday, and I hope to get it running then or on Saturday.

Holy Mackerel!! A diamond in the rough to say the least, that was a FIND!!!!

now GO GET YOURSELF SOME TRIPLE WEBERS!!!!! Those flattop carbs are BOAT ANCHORS and webers are goodness incarnate.

the interior is fine as it is :D

edit This was a fourspeed right?

WOW that thing cleaned up nice. I'm curious about something. It looked like it had an engine fire near where the mechanical fuel pump is located. any story on that?

I do believe that's where the a/c compressor was leaking at one time, and slung oil onto the underside of the hood. I thought it was a fire at first too. :icon52: Haha, and while we're on the subject of fuel pumps.......I've been told it has a mechanical pump, and an electric by the tank. Could the electric one be replaced by a universal electric pump? If so, what size are the lines there, and are they rubber?

Holy Mackerel!! A diamond in the rough to say the least, that was a FIND!!!!

now GO GET YOURSELF SOME TRIPLE WEBERS!!!!! Those flattop carbs are BOAT ANCHORS and webers are goodness incarnate.

the interior is fine as it is :D

edit This was a fourspeed right?

Yep, it's a 4 speed. I'm not sure I'm going to mod this engine before I swap my LT1 into it. I guess we'll see how she runs first though. :lmao:

Thanks for the compliments guys! :cool:

Very nice find! I hope you and s/he have a long and safe relationship!

Oh, she and I will. :lmao: She runs! :D It cranked up the first time I tried it. :cool: The fuel pumps aren't working though, and I'm going to replace the mechanical one first thing in the morning. I have an original factory service manual that shows how to test the electric one and even how to disassemble it. I'm going to trouble shoot all of that in the morning and see how it goes. I poured a little bit of fuel into the carbs, and it fired right up for a few seconds. I took the plugs out and poured a little bit of oil in the cylinders beforehand. I then turned it over about 10 revolutions by hand before I cranked it. Tomorrow I'm going to change the oil and see if I can get it to run for a little while. Here are pictures from today.

eng1.jpg

ext1.jpg

int1.jpg

int4.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

Oh, and if you have aluminum wheels that look as bad as mine did, I suggest using Eagle One etching mag cleaner.

Before:

DSC_0010.jpg

After:

DSC_0011.jpg

I can top that! :-D

I can't believe that deal you got. Especially in the shape it's in. ESPECIALLY since I've been looking for one for months.:cry2:

Gratz, man.

Thanks man! :cool:

Well, thanks to O'Reilly Auto Parts, I didn't get it running today. I ordered a fuel pump yesterday, and the dumba$$ ordered one for a 610 pickup. How hard is it to understand the words two-sixty z ? :mad: I would have ordered it from Advance (where I work), but there's not one around my hometown. I guess I'll order it myself once I get back to Tuscaloosa this afternoon. Urgh. Anyways, here's a pic from today.

ext2.jpg

Nice to see that you went ahead and purchased it. Great find.

Just be aware that the mechanical fuel pumps they sell for these cars at your corner auto parts stores are usually the non-rebuildable type. Since you'll eventually be doin' the LT1 swap then you probably won't care though.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the paint then there is a sticker on the radiator support that shows the paint code. When you have that go to http://zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/index.html and cross reference.

Nice to see that you went ahead and purchased it. Great find.

Just be aware that the mechanical fuel pumps they sell for these cars at your corner auto parts stores are usually the non-rebuildable type. Since you'll eventually be doin' the LT1 swap then you probably won't care though.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the paint then there is a sticker on the radiator support that shows the paint code. When you have that go to http://zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/index.html and cross reference.

Thanks for the link. Mine is the 306 metallic silver. You're right about the pump being non-rebuildable. Like you said though, it really doesn't matter to me. Here's what came in to work today.

pump.jpg

pump1.jpg

I'll be going home either Tuesday or Wednesday morning to (hopefully) get this thing running. I've already drained the old gas out, and put 5 gallons of 91 octane and a bottle of sta-bil in it. Now I just have to put the new mechanical pump on and check out the electric pump as well, although I'm 99% sure it works.