HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that pump is as big a disappointment, as the car was a happy surprise.

I haven't seen a "new" mechanical fuel pump in about 15 years, come to think of it. That thing looks sad... weird.

:lol: Well as long as it pumps some fuel, it'll be alright. I got it for $38 with my discount, so it wasn't that bad. I tried to find a rebuild kit for the pump, but apparently we can't get one.

:lol: Well as long as it pumps some fuel, it'll be alright. I got it for $38 with my discount, so it wasn't that bad. I tried to find a rebuild kit for the pump, but apparently we can't get one.

Thats the right attitude to take, without a doubt.. I just kinda felt... old I guess... when I saw the "new" pump.

Sucks being a throwback; I'm not supposed to feel like an antique four weeks before my 28th birthday!

Thats the right attitude to take, without a doubt.. I just kinda felt... old I guess... when I saw the "new" pump.

Sucks being a throwback; I'm not supposed to feel like an antique four weeks before my 28th birthday!

:lmao: I turn 20 in two weeks. BTW, I should be installing this thing tomorrow and seeing what it'll do. I'll update it as soon as I find out. :cool:

Well here's how I left it tonight.

carb19.jpg

I'm taking the carbs back to my house in Tuscaloosa and hope to get them rebuilt before Thanksgiving. Then I'll bring them back to Winfield (where the car's at), and hopefully get it going. I'll be sure to take pics during that process. :cool:

Alright, I ordered the carb rebuild kits yesterday, and got them in this morning. I'll probably start tearing into the carbs this afternoon. Here are the kits.

carb21.jpg

I also repainted the forward dash panel because it was looking pretty rough with surface rust.

dash1.jpg

Alright, I ran into a couple of problems rebuilding these, but I got the rear carb assembled a few minutes ago. Much thanks to geezer for helping me with my float pin problem and giving me some info on tuning. :cool: I'm going to tear the front carb apart tonight and hopefully get it cleaned up and assembled tomorrow. The moment of truth will be Tuesday, or wednesday at the latest. :mrgreen: Here's pics of the rear carb.

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done1.jpg

done4.jpg

I didn't worry too much about "prettying" these up, as once again, this engine won't be in the car for long. I would have painted the plates, linkages, etc, and wire brushed the body otherwise. Function > form.

OMG somewhere there is a parts warehouse guy who just lost half of his flattop parts hoard..... I hope he is handling it okay.

In case you couldn't tell, you might have the only pictures on all of the internet of freshly rebuilt boat anchors :D

:lmao: After thorough online research, I'd have to agree with ya there. :mrgreen:

Success! Haha, well sorta. It definitely runs better with the new boat anchors. Now that it will actually run for a little while, I've figured out that it has a valetrain adjustment/timing problem. The valve cover comes off first thing in the morning. :cool:

Here's a quick vid:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV00004.flv

Pull the dizzy cap and the rotor off and inspect your points. You've got good blue spark coming out of good new NGK BPR 6ES-11s right? Synchronizing these carburetors without a tool to do so (looks like a plug for the front hole but it has a little meter measuring air flow on it) is a guessing game at best, although my oldest brother is VERY good at getting it 95% of the way there just by placing both of his hands in front of the bores while the engine is running and "feeling" the air flow difference.

Warming up helps these engines run alot better as well, ESPECIALLY when the tune is a little off.

Congrats!!! Those turds are POLISHED!!! :coollook:

Pull the dizzy cap and the rotor off and inspect your points. You've got good blue spark coming out of good new NGK BPR 6ES-11s right? Synchronizing these carburetors without a tool to do so (looks like a plug for the front hole but it has a little meter measuring air flow on it) is a guessing game at best, although my oldest brother is VERY good at getting it 95% of the way there just by placing both of his hands in front of the bores while the engine is running and "feeling" the air flow difference.

Warming up helps these engines run alot better as well, ESPECIALLY when the tune is a little off.

Congrats!!! Those turds are POLISHED!!! :coollook:

Haha, yes they are. I'm gonna check everything out in the morning again, although we've already checked everything ignition related. It's trying to spit back through the rear carb, so I'm thinking there's a valve issue on one or more of the back three cylinders. It also doesn't sound like it's hitting on all 6, which would further help explain that.

just a little more emphasis on the question.. good blue spark, NGK plugs, right???

Then check your valves, I bet you are running pretty tight. Get her good and warm, seriously.. if your temp gauge works then you can watch that and see how slow it is to come up but if its broken, let it idle for 20 minutes or so to get it HOT.

You have a manual choke lever on these carbs still right? You are keeping the choke engaged while warming up? (remember I just went through a crash course on how to actually own a carbureted car for the first time about two weeks ago, so forgive me if I am asking obvious stupid questions)

just a little more emphasis on the question.. good blue spark, NGK plugs, right???

Then check your valves, I bet you are running pretty tight. Get her good and warm, seriously.. if your temp gauge works then you can watch that and see how slow it is to come up but if its broken, let it idle for 20 minutes or so to get it HOT.

You have a manual choke lever on these carbs still right? You are keeping the choke engaged while warming up? (remember I just went through a crash course on how to actually own a carbureted car for the first time about two weeks ago, so forgive me if I am asking obvious stupid questions)

Haha, yep, NGK's are firing fine. My center gauges in the dash don't work for some reason, so I gotta check into that.

Well there's the problem. :lmao:

valve1.jpg

Yep, that's a bent #3 intake valve. :fmad: Someone didn't know what the heck they were doing when they put this thing together, apparently. I just hope it didn't bust the piston. I looked down in there with an inspection light, and if the valve didn't bust the piston, then it left a heck of a dent in it. Haha, I'll find out tomorrow when I take the top end off I guess. Should be a greeeaaaaat Thanksgiving. :lmao: