HybridZ

My 260Z project (No 56K)

g9m3c

i was wondering why is your inspection light mounted by the brake master? just curious cause i always thought they were all mounted by the fuel filter on the other side

I dunno, that's where it was when I got the car. I'm wondering where this fuel filter you speak of is. Isn't the only fuel filter back by the electric pump at the tank?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The filter on the fuel injected cars is located on a bracket screwed to the front side of the passenger fenderwell, just in front of the shock tower.

This is also the normal location for the inspection lamp on S30 240, 260, and 280Zs.

I can't imagine how yours got over there, but I would be willing to bet you can find holes from where it was originally.

I am fairly certain that I have seen them over on that side before. It makes more sense to have it over near where the brake and clutch hydraulics are IMO, but honestly if I had my choice I would have about three of those under my hood.

Perhaps 240Z!!! doesn't realize that this is a 260Z, not a 240.

Good work so far. You're getting ever so much closer to having it running again.:mrgreen:

i ment on any z.... ive owned every version of them 240z, 260z, 280z, and the zx....i think it makes a lot more sense over there....except if you wanted to work on the starter or alternator...but anyhow they never provide enough light anyway....

See the bracket on the passenger side shock tower inside the engine bay? A medium-large plastic vacuum tank was mounted there which intruded into the space usually occupied by the inspection light. You'll notice that there aren't even mounting holes for the lamp on the passenger side. Because of the vacuum tank the inspection light was moved to the driver's side of the engine bay and given a nice flat, oval ended place to mount on.

The other bracket located where a fuel filter would be on a 240Z is the mounting bracket for the charcoal canister. The 260Z had both mechanical and electric fuel pumps, so the one filter in the system is located close to the tank to benefit the electric pump.

I just discovered the "not providing enough light" thing this week when snaking about with that light under the hood in pitch black:icon50:. Better than nothing though.

I bought a really nifty little 3 LED spotlight thingy at walmart a few weeks ago thats the bee's knees, and it would work GREAT as an under hood light. It has a cigarette lighter plug on it, and the cord reels up into the body of the light. Three LEDs, with two modes, one single light and then one with all three. For 6-8 bucks, you cant fight it!

I bought a really nifty little 3 LED spotlight thingy at walmart a few weeks ago thats the bee's knees, and it would work GREAT as an under hood light. It has a cigarette lighter plug on it, and the cord reels up into the body of the light. Three LEDs, with two modes, one single light and then one with all three. For 6-8 bucks, you cant fight it!

actually you can get a 9 led mini light thats metal and fits in the palm of your hand from advanced auto parts and its only 2.99 i think....it looks like its the exact size of the under the hood light and can probably be easily modified to be powered by the original wires so you can still unraval it and move it to where you want to....fyi i bought this flashlight im talking about and its freaking bright and the batterys never go dead

actually you can get a 9 led mini light thats metal and fits in the palm of your hand from advanced auto parts and its only 2.99 i think....it looks like its the exact size of the under the hood light and can probably be easily modified to be powered by the original wires so you can still unraval it and move it to where you want to....fyi i bought this flashlight im talking about and its freaking bright and the batterys never go dead

Word!! This is a battery powered light you are talking about?? What kind/how many batteries?

Oh yah, btw.... Thread, JACKED!!! mwahahahaaa

Word!! This is a battery powered light you are talking about?? What kind/how many batteries?

:lmao: Might as well jack it, I don't really have any major updates. I got it back together and found a hole in my fuel line right before I had to come back to Tuscaloosa, so I didn't have time to get it goin. :fmad:

yeah its battery powered and it takes 3 tripple a's...sorry for thread jacking....but i have been patiently waiting for some updates on this thread

It runs!

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV00005.flv

One thing I can't figure out though is the way it runs. It's idling really rough as you can tell in that video. That may just need some fine tuning though, as I haven't messed with the idle adjusting screws or even gotten my ignition timing in the ballpark yet. But ever once in a while, randomly, it will rev up to 4,000 rpm or so on its on for a second or two, then come back down to idle. :confused2 It's crazy. Any ideas? It's definitely got a strong vaccum, even at idle. Maybe the vaccum opener control valve is spazzing out? I don't even know what that thing does. :lmao:

It runs!

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/g9m3c/?action=view&current=MOV00005.flv

One thing I can't figure out though is the way it runs. It's idling really rough as you can tell in that video. That may just need some fine tuning though, as I haven't messed with the idle adjusting screws or even gotten my ignition timing in the ballpark yet. But ever once in a while, randomly, it will rev up to 4,000 rpm or so on its on for a second or two, then come back down to idle. :confused2 It's crazy. Any ideas? It's definitely got a strong vaccum, even at idle. Maybe the vaccum opener control valve is spazzing out? I don't even know what that thing does. :lmao:

Biggest question is this... Did you sync the carbs yet? That could very well be your problem.

Btw speaking from experience... when you put the new valves in, did they move up and down easily by hand? And when you lapped them, how did they look, everything look lined up correctly?

The reason I ask is this.... I snapped a cam a few motors back, bent 7 of the valves, one of those valves actually damaged one of the valve guides, I noticed before putting the engine all together, it was off center and had a tendency to stick... That could cause all sorts of problems. I'm hoping you checked them all before you put her all back together.