HybridZ

1UZFE 260Z Swap

dan5138

Well I'm thinking seriously about swaping a 1UZFE into the 260Z thats been sitting in my backyard. Just finished a 280z (mostly stock), it packs a good punch. But hey almost 2x the power and less weight is always better right? Another one of my goals here is to make it a budget build, kinda a rat rod sorta deal. Scrounginging up parts and fabricating what can't be found just adds to the uniqueness of the build imo. Ive also done quite a bit of research on this engine transplant (though nothing specific to Z's unfortunately). Anyway if anyone has any input or advice, let me know. Ill be updating with pictures of the car shell later.

do it, good idea very good idea, there is someone doing it in a 280. Im gonna do it soon, just researching and getting ready to start buying up parts

3startuna from 3si I'm guessing? Going through with this huh? I certainly hope you succeed, and when you do you have to post info about subframe clearances and the like. My guess is wiring is going to be the biggest hassle.

This is PumpGasVR4, btw.

3startuna from 3si I'm guessing? Going through with this huh? I certainly hope you succeed, and when you do you have to post info about subframe clearances and the like. My guess is wiring is going to be the biggest hassle.

This is PumpGasVR4, btw.

ha ha Ive been discovered!!

Yup im doing it.

LOL Im thinking of going to the bigger VH45DE instead of the 1UZ. The VH seems like an easier swap as the flywheel and trans from a 300ZX will bolt up to it. And at only about 300ish more than the price of a 1UZ I can get 500 more cc's :D

Plus ive been researching both motors, and im liking the VH bottomend more, and there is a bit more aftermarket support for the vh

Right now its a toss up between the two. If I can get a 98 1U ill go that route if not ill get the VH, both swaps seem like a win win though

How much does the VH weigh though? Isn't it more than the 1UZ? That's the thing that attracts me to the 1UZ most, it's light weight. If I just wanted lots of cheap power I'd get an LS1, but if I want low weight with good displacement and powerband, I'd go 1UZ or perhaps some other lightweight V8 I'm not yet aware of.

Edit: I could only find one source but it appears the VH is around 500lbs. One guy weighed it with no intake manifold, no AC compressor, no alternator, no power steering pump, and only one exhaust manifold, and it weighed in at 478lbs. That's easily over 500 with all the accessories. That's actually a little heavier than an LS1. I'd personally just spend the extra $2K and go for the LS1 at that weight point. You might actually make up for that extra cost in the end with the LS1's staggeringly huge aftermarket with parts that cost a fraction of equivalent parts for the VH or 1UZ for that matter. There's also more knowledge and support out there for the LS1 swap. Just my $.02

Well just got the darn thing medium blasted... and there isnt too much left. Aparently this car has had rust problems before and someone undercoated right over the top of it. The frame rails look like swiss cheese in places :/. Body cancer was just bondoed over in a lot of places and the paint was on there THICK so it didnt show up until after blasting. What i get for buying a 3/4 complete car for $300 i guess ><. Fortunately I haven't bought an engine or anything yet... anyone interested in a full set of 260 glass? lol.

I may be better off with a '75 280 chasis, I believe the are a little stiffer/heavily built than a 240 / 260? The only thing that makes me unhappy about the 280 is ride hieght. Looking at my finished 280 (stock height) even a 1" drop would leave me sitting kinda high imo. Does anyone have any examples/experience with 1" drop springs on a 280?.

As far as electronics go it would be money well spent to buy a Mega Squirt 2 to control a 1UZ rather than spend a lot of time looking for the correct stock harness/ecm. I would also redo the chassis wireing (Nothing bugs me more than opening a hood and seeing a bunch of wires and vacuum lines). But until I can come up with a decent chasis, this is on a hold.

As far as fitting a 1UZ goes, it has to be one from a sc400 (rear sump). Taking quick measurements (there is a nice diagram of a 1UZ in lextremes.com forums) it's a tight fit in some spots. Hood clearance and having the engine Fairly close to the firewall seem to be the only real issues. Building engine mounts and bolting them to the frame rails seems about the safest bet as well. I can just picture the welded mounts cracking because of chasis flex.

ha ha Ive been discovered!!

Yup im doing it.

LOL Im thinking of going to the bigger VH45DE instead of the 1UZ. The VH seems like an easier swap as the flywheel and trans from a 300ZX will bolt up to it. And at only about 300ish more than the price of a 1UZ I can get 500 more cc's :D

Plus ive been researching both motors, and im liking the VH bottomend more, and there is a bit more aftermarket support for the vh

Right now its a toss up between the two. If I can get a 98 1U ill go that route if not ill get the VH, both swaps seem like a win win though

What transmissions do the 300zx's use anyway, hopefully not some variation of the borg werner like some of Z's have. As far as displacement goes, I like how the smaller, higher revving V8s sound as opposed the larger displacement engines. You get pretty tired of hearing chevy's with flowmasters when that is all anyone drives around here. Though Ill do some research on the VH too, sounds interesting :P

The VH45 seems to be as much of a unsung hero as the 1UZ. Just looked up the stats on the VH, it sounds like a very stout engine, same price range, alum block etc. What gets me is apparently it has timing chains instead of belts? but 20+ more hp from 500cc sounds like a good tradeoff. I'm think thinking this would be the way to go, since I didn't know about the VH previously. Not to mention the VH is more aesthetically pleasing, using nissan parts for the entire car and all. Ill probably get flamed for this but... anything would be better than a 350. Anything that still uses pushrods is a boatanchor imo. Ive also heard the LSD diff from a Q45 almost bolts directly into s30's (minus the difference in drivshaft flange) anyone have experience with this?

What transmissions do the 300zx's use anyway, hopefully not some variation of the borg werner like some of Z's have.

I don't know who makes it but the 300ZX transmission is very strong and has been proven to hold well over 500hp reliably.

anything would be better than a 350. Anything that still uses pushrods is a boatanchor imo.

That's just a little unfair. The first DOHC engine was released in 1912, only ten years after the first pushrod engine. So DOHCs are almost a century old themselves. Also, when you say boat anchor, that conjures up images of something heavy weight to most people. Thing is, pushrod engines are usually more compact and are typically lighter weight, not to mention having less parasitic valvetrain losses. Also, an LS1 is obviously a more high-tech engine than either the VH or 1UZ, as it was designed quite a bit later than either of those engines, and it was intended as a high performance engine from the outset. It has coil-on-plug ignition, a very flexible stock ECU, and extremely good heads(even normal LS1 heads, which are by no means the best of the breed, flow somewhere around 290cfm if I'm not mistaken. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm not trying to knock the VH, but the LS1 is clearly the better performance engine in almost every concievable way. It's smaller, lighter, makes more power and torque, produces less emissions and uses less fuel, has a larger, cheaper aftermarket, and if you ask me, looks better with that beautiful intake manifold, especially if you have the red Corvette fuel rail covers on it. The only thing the DOHC V8s have on it is they can rev higher. That may be important depending on your needs.

the LS1 is a huge engine and has a proven record plus a huge aftermarket, No one can question its strengths. And yes it looks better than both the 1UZ and VH45de

I like the VH because:

6c3e_1.jpg

1. it will work with the ZX trans which for an all motor VH is really a very strong trans. Plus those trannies are pretty cheap.

2. It has a bit more aftermarket support than the 1UZ, jim wolf makes an aftermarket ECU upgrade for it.

3. Z32 300ZX drivetrain parts work with it. RPS makes a flywheel for the 300ZX, the ZX trannies are very reliable and very easy to source.

4. The stock features: full main griddle bottomend, larger displacement for about the same price, VVT, coil on plug ignition, etc.

5. the bigger displacvement means theoretically it should respond better to modifications.

Vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1RcKhIzKVM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41-cjlksyM&feature=related

I like the 1UZ:

1uzfe_1.jpg

1. The weight, it is very light for a V8, infact an engine builder joked that he could lift a 1UZ with one hand.

2. Will work with the supra W58 trans, which is also a pretty cheap trans

3. Its a very smooth engine

4. Racing pedigree, the UZ engines are used by toyota in their super GT race cars.

5. High compression engine

6. Looks better than the VH45 installed

7. THE SOUND!!!!!!!! MY GOD!

Vids:

Advantages to both:

1. CHEAP, 1UZ's sell as cheap as 400.00, the later 1UZs are more expensive, but IMHO the better choice, VH are 800-1000

2. Quad cam DOHC means it can rev high and fast, which will give the car a more exotic feel.

3. both are big bore, short stroke engines, so they will be rev happy.

4. Light weight, all aluminum engines

5. Reliable and very unique

6. Both are from US spec cars so parts will be very easy to source for them. And thankfully the kids havent caught wind of them, so the prices for them are still low.

7. Both in a S30 Chassis is an awesome Idea!!! low weight plus the hp and tq, and a compact engine = very good handling, good weight distribution and FAST. They should both run low 13s all stock, possibly 12s.

IMHO doesnt matter what engine you go with both are a very good choice. I like the VH more, because at least on paper it seems like a tougher engine.

Plus timing chains are pretty cool, because they will run forever, no need to replace a belt every 60K miles and also they are better at high RPMs than belts. Notice there is a new trend in the car world to go to timing chains for high rpm engines. Honda S2000, Honda's K20, all yamahas, mitsubishi's 4B11T.

Which is the "better" engine? I dont know, I havent personally built any of them, so I'm not in the position to call it. From asking my mechanic buddies, both seem to get pretty high ratings. Reliability wise, a friend of mine said he saw a 1UZ come in for service had over 200,000 miles on the clock, just routine maintenace was all it needed.

Either way you go you really cant lose.

I wasnt trying to knock the LS1... its a great engine and all. Just out of my price range. Not to mention putting american parts in a jap car is just bleh... If i was going to put an LS1 in anything I'd scrounge up an old camaro. As far as the VH goes, they are dirt cheap. I can buy a whole '90 to '93 Q45 for right around 1k where I live. I get the engine, all the wires, the nice viscous LSD, and a slushbox if I wanted it. The VH is kinda ugly, but hey I would be changing the intake and take all the plastic "cosmetic" BS off anyway. The only real shortcoming I can see with the VH is the timing chain, But there may be a way to replace the guides / tensioner with idler sprockets. Similar to the set up kaminari (spelling) makes for the L28. That setup should be good for a few more RPMs.

And does anyone know what operates VVT on the VH? I'm asuming some sort of solenoid or something. Hopefully something that won't be hard to code into a MS2.

I know where your going with this and im already a head of you. Ive been thinking about that as well. Thats also why if i go 1UZ im gonna get a 98 model.

VTEC in hondas is controlled by a solenoid. If the nissan system works the same way, all you need to know is what pin on the ECU sends the signal to trigger the crossover. Once you know that, all you would need is an RPM signal, then simply a device that will allow you to replicate the crossover signal at a lower RPM.

Thing is though im not familiar with nissan's VVT, so im not sure how its triggered but im sure its simular to how honda does it.

Im curious though why are you against timing chains?

And I agree the intake is very ugly. But thats a minor detail

I'm not against timing chains, its just if you dont have have a good set of guides and a good tensioner, theyre about as much trouble as a belt. Depending on what you are doing its just as easy to snap a chain too. Over engineer anything that may be a weak point rather than wait for it to fail. Would be sick to see a gear driven VH though. Not sure how much more parasitic a gear drive setup would be : /. Yea i knew the honda Vtec is solenoid.My friends preludewould just kinda scoot along until it hit that vtec... then it took off like a raped ape lol. Im sure with all the open source support MegaSquirt ECMs have it would be hard to set it up to trigger the VVT. As fa as that goes adjust how much it advances timing as well as when it kicks in to better suit your application. Lots of possibilities for the UZ or VH.

• 2 months later...

just an fyi for those that dont know, there is an adaptor to bolt the v160 6speed from the supras to a uz engine, and quarter master makes a flywheel and twin plate 8.5in clutch for this application. also there are CHEAP adaptor plats to fit w58 and r154 trans to the uz engines auto bellhousing and use an internal hydraluic slave such as a tilton or quartermaster etc.... also a 3s series 8 bolt flywheel can be redrilled by a machine shop to fit. they make the bolt holes larger and drill them offset. works perfect. you can buy them already done with the adaptor plate. they have a place in oz that has oversized valvesm cams, valve spring kits, etc.. and i beleive titan motorsports sells all of these things as well as twin turbo kits, forged pistons, forged rods, forged cranks. theres itb kits available etc... pretty much anything you could want including superchargers.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know who makes it but the 300ZX transmission is very strong and has been proven to hold well over 500hp reliably.

Its a getrag box I am pretty sure - thats why it's so strong! And I am pretty sure it is basically the same box that is used behind the RB25DET and the RB26DETT (modified for 4wd drive of course!)

just an fyi for those that dont know, there is an adaptor to bolt the v160 6speed from the supras to a uz engine, and quarter master makes a flywheel and twin plate 8.5in clutch for this application. also there are CHEAP adaptor plats to fit w58 and r154 trans to the uz engines auto bellhousing and use an internal hydraluic slave such as a tilton or quartermaster etc

The adapter kits are all the same price as far as I have seen, about $1800 or so $AUD - just the prices for the gearboxes vary, in $AUD, $600-$1000 W58, $1750 or so for the R154 and IF, and I must stress "IF" you can find one, the mighty 6-Speed Getrag from the Supra can go from $3500 and up, I have seen people trying to sell them for over $6k - wowzers!!!

www.rodshop.com.au

www.dellow.com.au

Dellow sells kits to bolts lots of different gearboxes behind the 1UZ, not just the different Toyota manuals!!!

I know where your going with this and im already a head of you. Ive been thinking about that as well. Thats also why if i go 1UZ im gonna get a 98 model.

You are better of with the earlier model 1UZ's if you want to make lots and lots of HP, pre 1992, thicker blocks and stouter rods used apparently!!!

the LS1 is a huge engine and has a proven record plus a huge aftermarket, No one can question its strengths. And yes it looks better than both the 1UZ and VH45de

The LS1 does have very nice valve covers and intake manifold, the VH45 looks like it was assembled back to front and is a touch ugly, but the 1UZ isn't without its charm :-)!!!

2. It has a bit more aftermarket support than the 1UZ, jim wolf makes an aftermarket ECU upgrade for it.

Maybe it is different in the States, but I would really have to disagree with this one - do many people sell this sort of thing for the VH45?

These two do individual throttle bodies,

http://www.efihardware.com/products/1603/manifold-Toyota-4.0-Lexus

http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=1QT

These two do Supercharger kits & a T-56 Conversion!

http://www.bulletcars.com/superchargers/toyota/budget-toyota-1uz-v8-supercharger-system.html

http://rushimports.com.au/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=54799fc66eeca1722876ac6da38f5ba7

& this one has all sorts of goodies available!!!

http://www.lextreme.com/allgo.html

This the last one is $US, but all the rest are $AUD or $NZ - which is an extremely attractive prospect at the moment for anyone earning $US!!!

Almost forgot,

For $850AUD this fellow will re-do your harness and send it back to you ready to connect up to your Datsun,

http://www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au/

And for about $950AUD this fellow will do the same!

http://www.venomcobras.com/services.html#10

Or you could just buy a Haltech or Autronic!