HybridZ

Drifting: Here to stay or just a fad?

AkumaNoZeta

I think it is a great sport for auto enthusiasts.

I dove into track events(HPDE) and became an instructor to reduce costs.

Autocrossing is a blast as well. It is a little more boring than the other options but I enjoyed every single event.

The point is, There are so many driving events now for amature car enthusiasts that were not options 20 years ago. I can remember back in the 1980s your only performance driving options were Autocross, and dirt track in my area. Unfortunately the dirt racing required a pupose built vehicle with a way to tow it to track.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, There are so many driving events now for amature car enthusiasts that were not options 20 years ago. I can remember back in the 1980s your only performance driving options were Autocross, and dirt track in my area.

Around here we had track days, autox, drag racing, and dirt track. We still have all of that so not much has changed in this neck of the woods.

You make it sound like that head doesn't deserve a ZX :) Really where else would you put on?

How is that? How do I make it sound like it doesn't deserve it? I'm curious, it was basically a top-line piece for current-production vehicles.

Same as a Stillen SC for a 350Z is nowadays, only better.

The point is, There are so many driving events now for amature car enthusiasts that were not options 20 years ago. I can remember back in the 1980s your only performance driving options were Autocross, and dirt track in my area. Unfortunately the dirt racing required a pupose built vehicle with a way to tow it to track.

ABSOLUTELY!

That really is the point!

The more the better, IMO. People get spoiled because there is so much to do...

I think it's popularity will wane as the people who attempt it either wreck their cars or discover regular cornering. I don't think it will go away. I drift my truck into the parking lot at work almost every day, I love being sideways. But I would rather being hauling around Sears Point, Thunderhill or Laguna Seca on my streetbike. I think it'd be cool if it stuck around but it's boring as hell to watch on TV. Plus, the whole judged thing means it's not really a race...

Drifting is damn fun and a real challenge. Set up early by entering slow. Trail braking and abruptly turning in will get the rear sliding. Once the rear steps out, counter steering must be instantaneous and proportional. Follow up by pulsing the throttle to keep the rear wheels sliding without over-revving. Look at the apex and rim it as close as possible. Exit the turn with the correct vector with the car still sliding sideways and make the transition to straighten up the vehicle as smoothly as possible for style points.

I have drifted at HPDE events when I can get well clear of traffic.

M3drift.jpg

Tow vehicle drifting:

TruckdriftA.jpg

TruckdriftB.jpg

TruckdriftY.jpg

I don't know how people can afford it, Ive always wanted to try it but the cost of tires these days makes it wayyyyyy out of my reach.

Ever heard the saying if there is a will there is a way? We don't go out and throw on a brand new set of tires and go burn them up lol. We go on what we call "tire runs" We go take a few sets of used tires off the hands of people that have used tires lying around and finish using them up, then when we are done with them, they get them back when they mount our next set.

I also have a few friends that work at dealerships, very easy to get a set of used 225/45/17 or 245/45/17 they are pretty common sizes these days.

20 bucks for 4 tires is pretty cheap even with a ♥♥♥♥ job.

Honestly the biggest thing that hurt drifting recently was the gas price when it spiked to damn near 5/gallon. That made me stop for a while, had to put groceries on the table.

It's popularity may be a fad but it's defiantly not going away. It's more of an underground thing and it's better off that way. The less attention we get from media, the less hassle we get from cops when we go play in parking lots at night. Alot of people hate it thinking it's so destructive and worthless, but I challenge you to get in your car and go run a tight course. It's the biggest adrenaline rush you can get in your car in my opinion.

It's just a sensory overload for me, tires squealing, smoke, the sounds of the engine , the g-forces on your body, being out of control but still controlling where your going. I don't know, it's just extremely addictive for me and I honestly can't see myself stopping.

there used to be a slot car club in Hamilton (NZ) for a while, and most people reading the sticker on their car would think little mechanical cars on a track. what is actually stood for was "Sustained Loss Of Traction" which is what the cops wrote tickets out for is they caught anyone drifting in a public space like a car park or a road.

How is that? How do I make it sound like it doesn't deserve it? I'm curious, it was basically a top-line piece for current-production vehicles.

Same as a Stillen SC for a 350Z is nowadays, only better.

Just trying to tease you on your general dislike for the S130 chassis, not that post in particular. +1 failed joke.