HybridZ

Drifting: Here to stay or just a fad?

AkumaNoZeta

I don't know the regulations either but I've heard things like you have to keep the factory spindles and the factory dash in it, you're not allowed to use the colored-smoke tires, and I've also heard that AWD isn't allowed. The Evos and Imprezas I've watched on youtube built for drifting were all converted to RWD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drifting isn't going anywhere I don't think. The tracks from Seattle to Portland are always booked throughout the season and tons of people come out to drift there.

I think its popular cause, although there are costs of tires, its far cheaper than doing track days for road racing, plus anyone with a RWD car can give it a go.

And I wouldn't go so far as to knock it down to a 'basic' skill. Yes any good driver should be able to get sideways, and get back out, but to actually 'drift' properly, I somewhat doubt many people even on here could get it right. But I guess this isn't a discussion of what drifting is.

Like stony said, Its been around for decades in Japan, and that's not gonna change any time soon. But the popularity in the states will probably go in waves.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!

I am overjoyed to annouce, *trumpet*clarion*

The hybridZ Quote Of The Day!!!

That's part of what's always bugged me about it. It's the automotive equivalent of ice dancing. Sure, it takes tremendous skill and talent, but what for? Style points? Lots of smoke and noise and not much else.

It's a skill a good driver should be able to master...but it should be treated as a tool in the bag of tricks - something to use when you've buggered up a corner. There's more to driving than just being able to go sideways.

The way I look at it is this: fishtailing around a wide turn is fun. Who DOESN'T like that?? Its sorta like how we used to roll down a grassy hill when we were little kids... Fun!

If, somehow, somewhere, SOMEbody found a way to essentially roll down a grassy hill in a competitive fashion, that could sell unrelated products, and be at least conceivably, moderately entertaining.... I betcha the grassrolling trend would catch fire all through western culture. (I want to say America, but the good ol US of A does NOT have a monopoly on being easily entertained.)

If it "looks cool" it gets your brain set into the jell-o mold that the advertisers want, so they can show you their commercials four times during the program.

THIS is my favorite drifting video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Ciu8nGVYI

I personally think its fun. Ive done a few events back in 04-05ish. I totally agree with the rolling down the hill analogy!

I think they (FD) lack the structure (volunteers, club scructure, knowlagable staff, consitent rules) to have any sort of longevity. Short term, I think they will get what they want out of it, long term I cant really guess.

I dont mind how it is now around here. We have an event every month or so at the local circle track. They are usually on friday nights and go pretty late into the night. I usually volunteer. I have fun flagging and re-setting up cones. What I find strange is no one else really volunteers for the events. A lot of drivers are driving AND doing whatever they can to help the event run smoothly.

What I find strange is no one else really volunteers for the events. A lot of drivers are driving AND doing whatever they can to help the event run smoothly.

I heard a quote on Speed channel the other day, forget what I was watching. I *think* it was at laguna seca but I forget which race. I cannot even recall the specific wording of it, but one announcer said to the other (who said the same applied to him) "the first job I had in motorsports was free.. in fact the first several jobs!"

Racecar drivers of any stripe, from local autocrossers to Richard Petty and the Andretti clan, all know that there is a VERY nonzero chance of ending their life on a track; as such, we all pitch in and help as much as possible, because none of us ever know when WE will be the one getting the help. That, plus.. you can't get any seat time for free!!!!! I've only been in the drivers seat on a track one day of my life.. but I've worked corners ALOT.

I had no clue that this camaraderie was lacking at drifting events.. Never gone to see one in person. Is this an isolated experience, or do others notice the same lack of enthusiasm amongst the fans/lay people?

How is is cheaper than a track day?

Both use tires...gas....safety equipment ...the odd mechanical break down. Ive never seen anyone hit a wall on track day? ( not to say it doesnt happen)

As far as Im concerned...it looks like fun and Im sure it is but it is like "figure skating".. and on that note ...I give it a 5.5 chance of surviving another 10 years. Maybe less, as long as there is judging for style points .... eventualy we will have contraversy....the Spanish judge will favour the Spanish driver and the Japanese driver will file a complaint and the hole thing will collapse.

Drifting isn't going anywhere I don't think. The tracks from Seattle to Portland are always booked throughout the season and tons of people come out to drift there.

I think its popular cause, although there are costs of tires, its far cheaper than doing track days for road racing, plus anyone with a RWD car can give it a go.

And I wouldn't go so far as to knock it down to a 'basic' skill. Yes any good driver should be able to get sideways, and get back out, but to actually 'drift' properly, I somewhat doubt many people even on here could get it right. But I guess this isn't a discussion of what drifting is.

Like stony said, Its been around for decades in Japan, and that's not gonna change any time soon. But the popularity in the states will probably go in waves.

I'll comment on how long I think it'll last when I'm fully awake and can create a logical thought. As for working the track/etc I can say up in Canada that's NEVER a problem, guys will toss out a yellow flag and drive out with a few people and brooms to clean up off track excursions, people frequently help each other out with setup/mechanicals, etc. *shrug*

That's always been the thing that confused me too. It seems to be mostly young kids who are into it, and how you can work a crap job at 18-20 and afford so many sets of 225/15/20 tires is beyond me.

That's because watching autox is like watching paint dry.

At some point I think the drifters will realize, or maybe already have realized that they're burning up huge amounts of $$$ and that they'd be going a lot faster if they actually kept traction.

That's what sponsors are for.

I think drifting is here to stay...The two issues are $$$ and location. Yes, tires are expensive but most drifters I know buy used. I would have to say that the #1 issue is that most cities don't have a track set up for drifting.

People have been drag racing on the streets since the invention of the automobile. You can't exactly drift around the neighborhood for practice.

Back in the day the local tires stores used to keep there used ( bad) tires under lock and key to keep the drifter from rumaging thru the piles for tires they could use that night. When storage became and issue they just started cutting the bead to make the tire unusable!!!

Style points is what they give the guy that finished second.

As far as I can tell, in Tucson drifting seems to be waning. Ax and Road Racing are getting more and more popular. Maybe a lot of the younger guys got into motorsports through drifting and are now migrating to the other forms for racing.

i really think drifting is here to stay. it is the motorsport for the people born in the 80s here in the US. right now, drifting is hurting because companies dont want to sponsor drifting since the economy is in bad shape. Once the economy bounces back, i believe it will start growing rapidly once again.

I still think being able to drift is like being able to yodle, it takes talent but really isnt good for much. :)

The same can be said for any form of racing. It takes a lot of skill and practice but its not really good for anything. I quote from one of my favorite movies, Tokyo Drift "Whats the point? It just proves your faster thats all."

For me its not about winning anything or being good for anything. Its all about the fun of it. I like drag racing as well. One lets me go as fast as I can and the other puts my control skills to the ultimate test. Both of which are an adrenaline rush and just plain fun. I think drifting will have its moments in the spotlight as well as fading into the shadows. But its here to stay. :)

^well said.

And the only reason i mentioned the cost, is cause, at least around here, you would spend about $200 on track fees alone for a road race event. Drifting, from what I have seen is about $50. I dunno, I guess they'd probably equal out in the end, but I can see the age demographic that seems to make up the majority of drifting, paying $50 easier than $200 at a time.

It will be interesting to see what the new generation of foreign economical sports cars will do to the sport (Hundai Genesis, 370z, etc)

As long as there is an out of the way parking lot, roundabout, or industrial district, and tire stores that just throw the used ones out back, drifting will be here to stay. And it really isnt doesnt cost as much as you might think. Most people use the s13/s14 base... cheap the buy, and cheap to fix. nothing wrong with used tires which can easily be had for free.

drifting has been around for a long time in japan and is still going strong. i first saw it on Okinawa back in the late 80s!!!!.

Drifting in japan seems to be one of the first steps for gear head car guys to take. is it a fad??? it think it has been around long enough to not qualify as a fad anymore but will it stay. not sure current crowds at the events say it will stay for a little while at least.

I agree with Stony, I get a charge out of kids claiming to have been doing 'drifting longer than anybody else' because they started in go-karts...all the while seeing from their profile they're someplace in their early 20's...

I think Stony and I must have been at the same streets and the track up in Nakodomari to watch those competitions...which were old hat in mainland japan by that time---there were shop owners in Oki at that time (The 80's) in their 30's who had been doing it since they had their driving licenses. I sold my 77 Fairlady Z to the owner of Car Shop Saku-Gawa (sticker on the side of my rollaround tool box) who was bigtime drifting.

So here in the USA...it's 'only' around 15 years old, but in Japan, it's easily 2X that age as a definable sport and 'thing to do'.

Most people poo-poohing it have never seen a top tier event in person. I watched a lot of topnotch auto-x'ers drop their jaw when they saw what actually goes on, and at what speed. It's more than slipping a car sideways around a corner. Many of the technical sections happen on straight sections with apex cones set up. And when more than one car is on-track in the finals, with each one trying to trip the other one up...

Just a fan of the 'fad' for the last 25+ years....

I will say for the record i don't condone it BUT i will tell you from back in the day guys were doing on the street what is being done now on closed circuits. Leaving scuff marks on curbs and drifting used tires till they popped. I would literally come home at night with little pieces of rubber in my ears, nose hair.... everywhere. It was a rush that never gets old and i wasn't good at all. BUT the first time you wrap a car around a tree or jump a curb and rip the entire front suspension out of the car you quickly discover how expensive drifting can be :lol: Don't ASK!!!!

Now that I'm older and more wise ( that's what they say at least) there are too many ways to total a car or worse KILL people. Do us all a favor and keep it on the track... unless or course your drag racing then by all means ..... AHHHH just joking keep it on the track where it belongs people.

The old school drifting was a stepping stone. But this new stuff where they are going 80-90-100 mph just inches away from each other is crazy. You have to be really good to drift at the PRO level and maybe it will be the next nascar (NNNNOOOOTTTTTT) drifting will come and go but will never completely die but it will never get superstar status. In my opinion. the D-1 stuff on TV is GAY and annoying as hell to listen to. BUT seeing it person is much better. Unlike most other motor sports where usually the best seat is in your house. my 2 cents.