HybridZ

A few HID questions

bens1088

I am looking at doing an HID conversion. I've done probably 5 or 6 of these to regular cars. The 280zx has H4 lights right?... When I looked it up it came out H6 on the Sylvania site??

1979 NISSAN 280ZX

High & low beam headlamp

H6024

H6024ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

H6024XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

H6024CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

There is no relatively cheap projector housing and I do not want to use those suppper cheap H4 "projector" housings that glare like crazy.

Now wouldn't something like this work if you fabbed it into the housing and then put a cover on it?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALO-ANGEL-EYE-PROJECTOR-4-FOG-LIGHTS-FOGLIGHT-7-COLOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem300281570492QQitemZ300281570492QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also people keep speaking of a wiring harness upgrade. I've searched and cant find a good clear explanation on it. Is it a must for HIDs? I have the sylvania xtravisions on there but they aren't bright at all and I don't like them.

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now wouldn't something like this work if you fabbed it into the housing and then put a cover on it?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HALO-...Q5fAccessories

One thing I know for sure is that those wouldn't work the way you are thinking they might. The reason being is that a foglight projector lens and a headlight projecter lens are different as far as curvature and shape.

That is the reason the " cheap" projector conversion housings glare so bad and do not let out a proper light beam and pattern. Because they use foglight projector lenses.

When I had my FC3S RX-7 I used a set of 94 + acura integra projecter lights and pulled of the outer casing. they worked great.

Hope that helps a little,

Matt

well with those I just swapped the bulbs. On the z, the bulb... is the whole headlight. I also want to convert to projectors. With the other conversions they were just plug and play. From what I've read, I should rewire the headlight harness, but what entails rewiring the harness?

Also I'm trying to figure out what projectors work and what I need to buy.

I bought the cheap ebay projectors for $30 shipped and bought a $60 HID true Xenon kit as well. I went with 5000 K and they are WHITE. The lenses are kinda crappy and spread the light all over the place. They are just as bright as the stock lenses with the crappy housing. They are H4.

I bought the cheap ebay projectors for $30 shipped and bought a $60 HID true Xenon kit as well. I went with 5000 K and they are WHITE. The lenses are kinda crappy and spread the light all over the place. They are just as bright as the stock lenses with the crappy housing. They are H4.

HID for $60??? That doesn't sound right :P

But IMO, you only want projectors for HIs only. The easier HID Bi-throw lights, use a magnet that moves the bulbs for HIs and LOWs, which aren't good for projectors. Fo such style kits you want the housings that have a reflector cap over the bulbs.

And yes ebay housings are crap. Stay away from anything that says crystal or diamond cut. The lenses will crack on you -_- .

HID for $60??? That doesn't sound right :P

But IMO, you only want projectors for HIs only. The easier HID Bi-throw lights, use a magnet that moves the bulbs for HIs and LOWs, which aren't good for projectors. Fo such style kits you want the housings that have a reflector cap over the bulbs.

And yes ebay housings are crap. Stay away from anything that says crystal or diamond cut. The lenses will crack on you -_- .

Yep, $60. They are just as powerful and reliable as any $200 kit. I compared and swapped with my friend's who bought a $200 kit and thy were exactly the same.

FYI even though they might appear to be the same, there are differences in tolerances just as there would be between in quality of mechanical parts (as some of the owners of early to mid 90's mitsu's with the original ECU would know :P). This is even more evident in high wattage electronics.

I have the hella H4 upgrade lights in mine and they are awesome. Well worth the money, plus the bulb is changeable which means... you can put in HID kits. Then you solve all problems, OEM style glass light with a GOOD beam projection (the glass IS shaped different than OEM for better coverage) and changability.

Guest 280ZForce

This is no "glare" from projector HIDs, the housing of the projector is what projects the light, hence why it's called a projector. It wouldn't matter the car/truck headlight housing you mount it too. It wouldn't cause any glare off those, as stated, the projector housing is what reflects the light not the headlight housing you mount it in. You just have to make sure the projector is mounted and aimed correctly.

If you were to just buy the HID bulbs, ballasts and harnesses, then you would have to worry about glare in a housing they are not made for.

• 2 weeks later...
They also carry this .....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Philips-HID-Kit-w-Best-Matsushita-Ballasts-9006-6000K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33710QQihZ008QQitemZ180289710500

Whats the diff??

That one is missing the most important part of a hid retrofit.... the projector housing.

I would like to see these on a Z, as I think they may make the headlights looks weird. Would be great if they did not change the appearance of the stock lights.