HybridZ

Systems which accept the 280zxt distribuor

Art Nadel

The AFM is evil and it must be punished.

So a stand alone is needed.

I like the SDS because it may be simple enough for a computer idiot such as I. In addition to being dumb, am also lazy.

So I like the MS because I can use stock CAS distributor which I have.

Why remove and modify a perfectly good pully which is minding its own business? Have you nothing better to do with your time?

Which of the other avialable systems would also let me use the stock distributor, or even the stock turbo crank trigger set up? Have that as well.

Art

Check out what JeffP has done with his car, Art.

He is currently running a VG30DE Box from a Maxima using a distributor...but firing individual coils.

Having the OBD port on an 80-83 car would really send the SMOG people into fits! It would be clean, pass visual, but have an OBD which their system says is not supposed to be there!

Muahahahaha!

We've put together an article (with a lot of help from Moby and many other denizens of this board) on how to use MS with the 280 ZX Turbo distributor here:

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

Many other standalone systems can use the 280ZX distributor as well. Other ones that come to mind (in strictly alphabetical order) include Accel/DFI, AEM, BigStuff3, FAST, Haltech, and the Holley Commander. The fact that the Nissan distributor is a close cousin to the Optispark doesn't hurt...

Why remove and modify a perfectly good pully which is minding its own business? Have you nothing better to do with your time?

Perhaps some people think that the distributor and its associated wiring detracts from the look of the motor. Perhaps some people enjoy the challange. Perhaps they like to be able to control the spark from a computer. Perhaps they want to be different. Perhaps they have nothing better to do with their time. :)

Matt,

Terrific!! Seems there is no better online support then DIY gives for MS.

An excellent reason to select it, or rather to not select any other.

Just wondering, the threads go back a few years, and call the MS II the road less travelled, and therefore suggests a person might want the earlier versions because of the vast amount data base from existing users. Has that changed now that MS II is more mature?

And, it explains how to go with our without the HEI module. It does not seem hard or expensive to add that, but forgive my ignorance, what is the advantage of doing so?

My stock L28ET system has given me plenty of trouble but never the ignition side of things. I get a good hot never failing spark to well above the RPM I need. So keeping that the same, but under MS control should make me grin. I like to grin. Need some incentive to add the complication.

Thanks

Art

It may be time for an update. There's quite a few MS-II installations out there and it has been pretty stable.

HEI modules had something of an advantage over the old VB921s in that they're a bit more reliable, but the BIP373s are about as tough. The HEI modules are kind of an easier way to get spark control with a V2.2 board, but that's about it.