HybridZ

pick one, suspension or exaust

Niku-Sama

not a "what would you do" because its fun or you want to add performance...no its more like, both are time for replacment and you only have enough cash for one or another.

both are in equal....disarray. heres the run down.

as of now both are mostly stock.

Exhaust is old and starting to rust through, have a minor exhaust leak some where down the line, not the gasket though but i would replace the intake/exhaust any way so i get it out of the way. shotty work from some one in the past, i cant tall if its the stock system hacked up or a crappy newer setup that is still rather old

suspension is just as much of a problem, all 4 corners are shot and sagging badly, having bottoming out problems on worn out stock suspension (and thats saying something) i just rolled over 87000 miles and i am sure alot of time was spent sitting arround. body roll is getting worse, bushings are oh except its time for control arm bushings and shock mounts in the rear, would probally do all 4 though.

what i would replace either or with is

6 - 1 header, 2 1/4 inch header out the back, cat is gone already, a decent muffler.....mostlikely a tanabe medallion. i hear theyre good performers and arent pissed off angry bee sounding and quieter than most.

or

tokico springs and HP struts that some one is parting out on another board start the conversion to urethane bushings when i replace the control arm bushings. its a newer set, i guess it got into a wreck shortly after they were installed.

both are going to cost roughly the same.

First things you should do are: find out where the exhaust is leaking; figure out which rubber parts should be replaced (all of them) and which need to be replaced (the hard, rotting, cracking, etc. ones), and whether you need full shock assemblies or just springs; and price the 4 jobs (exhaust repair, exhaust replacement, partial suspension, full suspension). Get several quotes, and see how much you'd be comfortable doing yourself. Then figure out how much you can budget, and decide what your priorities are: what you need to do to be safe.

Personally, I would do suspension.

That sounds like a very good deal on those parts.

Someone around here may have a moderate muffler you can get.

Just the sound will make the butt dyno a little happy, combined with the suspention, may feel like a new car, untill you can finish the ext.

Suspension... though keep in mind that a leaky exhaust system can do more harm than just being loud. However, given the Z fumes in cabin issue, I'm going to guess it's not much worse with an exhaust leak.

A decent suspension will transform the car like you wouldn't believe.

If its fun factor you seek then go suspension. If you replace the exhaust with a perfermance system the car will still sage at all corners and handle like crap.

Gaskets are cheap and Im sure you can patch up the rust spots. My first exhaust system was somebodies throw away! Unless you have completed a motor build there's no point to an expensive exhaust?

Clearance will be more than fine.

I would do suspension.

tokico blues and tokico springs, you can buy them as a set from betamotorsports.

get a cheapy jdm muffler from ebay, buy 2.5 aluminized piping or stainless (but it's extra $$) from your local muffler shop and make yourself a new exhaust system. 8 feet of piping costs about $30-35 from a hole in the wall muffler spot. muffler costs just about the same.

like everyone else here says " suspension " its more worth than and exhaust system down the road. the question you need to ask your self is what would benefit your ride as of right now. if your ride is sagging then it would be a better repair/upgrade then the exhaust untill you get the motor up to par to truly benefit from the exhaust.

if you cant inhale now then the exhale upgrade is not really an upgrade but a hole in the pocket that could have went else where. its no fun if you cant bend a corner!!!!

alright well hows the clearence on the tokico springs compared to normal height?

like the distance from the bottom of the pinch weld to the ground behind the wheel well?

The uncompressed spring looks much smaller than stock, [search the suspension threads and you'll see pictures] but my car doesnt look much lower... These are with my new Rota 15s. My car is waay more about utility than looks though, notice the fading flat black primer paint.

[Looks pretty high]

IMG_0021.jpg

If youre looking for a lower profile, save up your lunch money and get coilovers.

The uncompressed spring looks much smaller than stock, [search the suspension threads and you'll see pictures] but my car doesnt look much lower... These are with my new Rota 15s. My car is waay more about utility than looks though, notice the fading flat black primer paint.

[Looks pretty high]

If youre looking for a lower profile, save up your lunch money and get coilovers.

Just a question, what tire size are you using? They look quite small to me, I am guessing 205/50R15's? You might want to consider 225/50R15's as another option.

Well, I guess I will be different here and give an argument for the exhaust.

If you are just street driving your car while doing modifications as you can afford them then a saggy suspension you can deal with. You already know how it handles and will react to your inputs so you can drive accordingly.

If you have an exhaust system that is going to start to get worse it can do that without you knowing. Exhaust fumes can sneak up on you and the next thing you know you are blacking out and running off the road or worse into oncoming traffic.

Believe me I have investigated crashes where this scenario has happened.

I know, there is always someone who thinks SAFETY FIRST....

Tom