HybridZ

How to get a Z onto a trailer without rear suspension?

jknc90

My friend Rex is getting a 240z project car, it doesn't have an engine or transmission so it will have to be trailered back to his house. The only problem with this is there's no rear suspension therefore the z can't roll onto the trailer. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get his car on the trailer?

Thanks guys

I had to do this once with a car that was going to the JY. I screwed a 2x4 into the frame rails at the front and back, we jacked up the front and set it on the greased trailer rails, then backed the trailer as far under the shell as we could, then 2 guys lifted the back of the car onto the trailer. We pulled it on with a hand winch and that was that. To get it off we chained the back of the car to a post outside the junkyard and dragged the trailer out from under it... Yeah, it was fun...

Thanks guys. I had the same idea as monkeyt88. Me and a couple guys carried the stripped shell of my parts car onto a trailer. That will probably be the easiest way, especially since I don't know what kind of surface the car is on right now (the dollys might not roll depending on the ground where the car is).

AFAIK, the entire rear suspension is missing.

So it doesn't have any wheels in the rear?

Get trailer as close as you can, pickup back and back trailer underneath it. Take a ratchet winch or whatever you call it. Pull it up onto the trailer. Without the engine and tranny it will be easy.

Im gonna assume the worst case scenario: A full weight Z with just the rear struts or wheels missing. I say get a 8-10 foot 2X6 stick it thru the wheel wells put 2 guys on each side and you should have no problem lifting it. Put the front on jack stands as high as you can get it. Lift the rear and back the trailer up to the back of the Z. Use a come-along and furniture dollys under the dog-legs to get the front tires the rest of the way on the trailer.

If that is the case and the guy has a few hours, it cant take more than that to assemble the rear suspension enough to at least ROLL it. That would be the easiest.

Its only 22 bolts total If the LCA is still attached to the rear strut housing. They only need to be finger tight, unless the trailer ride is a long one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for any of you guys that were wondering, Rex had the truck, trailer, and everything lined up. He called the seller to confirm and apparently he sold the car to someone else in the meantime even though they had already agreed on the deal??? Not cool lol. Anyway, the search continues...