HybridZ

Best way to power up a 70' 240z?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I agree with webster280z.

WOW! this thread is really entertaining.

/gets up, grabs some popcorn and a bottle of beer

On a serious note, I say get a separate L24/26/28 N/A build it up triples, bore, crank, pistons, cam, headers the works. And then see if you need more power like others have said. With a built motor and mean compression you will have the right to say my car is all original and N/A with a mean sound and classic look and feel. Not to mention you can always swap in the orig motor no problem.

The Z already stands out regardless because its a S30 first gen. whenever you drive it you will get looks from a variety of people. Compliments galore and books of stores starting with " I use to have one of those..." And respect from the older generation. Its what makes driving a S30 that much more gratifying.

Wow, Jt1 I think you took Blakt Out's posts out of context.

He was merely suggesting that an early VIN S30 is more collectable than some of the other generic later Z's. I don't see how that was so bad or anything worth getting pissed off about. He even said in the middle of his post along the lines of not being able to necessarily sway the OP. It was merely a suggestion that he may have something of value on his hands.

Similar to someone having a painting they're about to toss in a yardsale for $2 and a more experienced person comes along and says "hey that's a Picaso and could be worth X amount of dollars."

It's an opinion and I don't see how he's wrong for saying it. He never said he's "better" than anyone else or doing his Z the right way. It was a suggestion which was echoed by a few members on here, myself included.

But hey what would I know, i'm just the new guy. :D

Wow, Jt1 I think you took Blakt Out's posts out of context.

He was merely suggesting that an early VIN S30 is more collectable than some of the other generic later Z's. I don't see how that was so bad or anything worth getting pissed off about. He even said in the middle of his post along the lines of not being able to necessarily sway the OP. It was merely a suggestion that he may have something of value on his hands.

Similar to someone having a painting they're about to toss in a yardsale for $2 and a more experienced person comes along and says "hey that's a Picaso and could be worth X amount of dollars."

It's an opinion and I don't see how he's wrong for saying it. He never said he's "better" than anyone else or doing his Z the right way. It was a suggestion which was echoed by a few members on here, myself included.

But hey what would I know, i'm just the new guy. :D

I completely agree with all you've said here.

HybridZ or not, some cars are just best left as is. It's not often you find a one owner '70 in such good condition as he has described. If he really wants to modify it, he should do bolt on modifications only, and keep the original parts such that he can always put it back to the way it was when it left the dealer.

Also, if you don't want to hear other people's opinions (good or bad) on things don't air your info on the internet. If you're not ready to hear your idea is bad, your body kit looks like ♥♥♥♥ or anything else negative then i'd suggest keeping to yourself.

The 'net isn't just a place to show off what you've done. It's to share ideas, form opinions and help each other out. If all you're worried about is what makes YOU happy, why post it on the internet at all?

Also, if you don't want to hear other people's opinions (good or bad) on things don't air your info on the internet. If you're not ready to hear your idea is bad, your body kit looks like ♥♥♥♥ or anything else negative then i'd suggest keeping to yourself.

The 'net isn't just a place to show off what you've done. It's to share ideas, form opinions and help each other out. If all you're worried about is what makes YOU happy, why post it on the internet at all?

I like this new guy. He's all right.

... says the only slightly less new new-guy.

BUT at the same time... this thread LONG aog started dancing with breaking the "hybrid" rule, and it IS a rule of this forum.

The rule is in place to keep people who say "Hey, I am putting a V8 in car #000087" from getting "OMG YOU TARD!!!1!!1!!!"

Obviously this thread is a "what should I do" thread, and the two opinions should get hashed out, but I think that enough has been said at this point for keeping the car original.

Lets just let the OP and owner of the vehicle decide. Chances are if the young man's dad has owned this car for 38+ years and hasn't modded it beyond recognition, then Junior probably won't get crazy either. (OP: no age-condescending there, just phrasing it the right way)

You guys are right. I didn't read the rules and I'm sorry.

Also, I AM a redneck. Right now you can go to Barnes & Noble and buy magazine with a 10 page article in it on another car of mine. The first four words are "This hillbilly hauls ass.". And I also say that I am a redneck and have done something that I regret to an early VIN Z. I don't really think I'm going overboard by telling someone that I have done it before and regret it.

The redneck V8 stuff: I didn't mean to go overboard. But that's how I feel about what I did in my car.

Some of your posts that you guys have made "against" my thoughts are great. I really appreciate your humor (the help out the tortured car... that really was a good post, for real. You made your point well.) But I really do think that you didn't get what I was saying. I appreciate LoCarb and rturbo helping clear it all up. But in the end, I didn't read the rules. But let it be said again, I said to cut on a little newer car. That's all. And I know that a turbo isn't irreversible.

In the end, I think that some have an uncool feel to the words "collector car". The reality of it is that you could take out the words "collector car" and say "a car that someone will pay you at least half what you put into it later". As someone who would and does buy cars knowing that I am actually building assets, I can attest that I would walk quickly away from a low VIN car with a V8, turbo, or anything other than the L24... INCLUDING the SR20, like I am doing. Mine's a 72.

I wil stay within the rules. But guys, I've been most places in the Z world. 14 cars. I'm not just some guy on here with a mission to point fingers and feel like an authority. However, I've done just about everything you can do short of an RB and have my very real opinions.

Lastly, I was asked how an LS7 is redneck. It's redneck in a low VIN 240Z to me. And frankly (I am only answering a question here), I don't want to put any engine in my Z that is the wet dream of every toothless Jim-Bob driving a rusty Camaro.

So you don't flame on the toothlessness, I've had to have dental implants all across the top!

Thanks for the pic of the truck!!!!!:D :biggrin: :D

It's a nice one, and the 911 and trailer aren't bad either.

I got a little torqued up. HybridZ was formed because people on other forums were always knocking down mods to Z cars, and the spirit here has always been that what ever mods you want to do are OK.

Blakt Out, I hope I get to see your Z sometime. It looks like it's a super nice build.

jwheless, my apologies for sidetracking your thread. Let us know what you decide to do to your car. I'll help out if possible.

John

That was my point too.. If you could get say 20K for it then wouldn't that be worth it? You could then get a 280 in decent shape, and mod the hell out of it. I realize this is a Modder's site. but it's a shame to see a rare car lose value.

You told your dad you wouldn't sell it, but if you told him you could get 20K for it you might get a different opinion from him. I'm not saying I have the $ to pay, but you could try putting it on Ebay starting at 20K and see. though your vin would need to be say <9999 Aside from that, it's a moot point.

We're happy to help you mod it anyway you want, it's just that we don't want to see you waste what could be a lot of money. we'd be :ass:assholes:ass: if we did. It would be like us saying oh go buy a FWD automatic for your car, it'll fit trust me :lol:. No we don't do that, we're just trying to help you learn from our mistakes.

It's your car though, your choice.

Phar

Still hoping for pics and a Vin :) how many mi?

The vin is 02764 pics later today
That's a pretty early 240z. While I know there's nothing I can do to stop you, or perhaps even persuade you, I really hope you don't do anything too extreme, if anything at all, to that car. And BTW, I'm really not much of a purist, or I wouldn't be on this site. IMO, this is one of those cars that is really just better off left as-is.

Sounds Kinda purist to me owen, but we know where eachother stand on this one, lol.

Ummm.... Not purist. Just common sense. There's no benefit to modding an early VIN over a late VIN, but early VINs bring more money when left alone. This really shouldn't be THIS hard to explain.

IT'S NOT PURIST. It's just not being an idiot with money.

Thanks for the pic of the truck!!!!!:D :biggrin: :D

It's a nice one, and the 911 and trailer aren't bad either.

I got a little torqued up. HybridZ was formed because people on other forums were always knocking down mods to Z cars, and the spirit here has always been that what ever mods you want to do are OK.

Blakt Out, I hope I get to see your Z sometime. It looks like it's a super nice build.

jwheless, my apologies for sidetracking your thread. Let us know what you decide to do to your car. I'll help out if possible.

John

John,

Thanks for the kind words on my car. I'm stoked about it. No worries. Getting torqued up is good!

Peace,

Jared

Ummm.... Not purist. Just common sense. There's no benefit to modding an early VIN over a late VIN, but early VINs bring more money when left alone. This really shouldn't be THIS hard to explain.

IT'S NOT PURIST. It's just not being an idiot with money.

lol, he was just messing with me, since there is very little we agree on.

Good to hear you aren't going to cut up the car though. IMO, a turbo tom setup would be pretty cool for this one.