HybridZ

Best way to power up a 70' 240z?

Does that price include intake/injectors/exhaust manifold/turbo??

L28ET can easily get you to 300-350 horses without going inside the motor at all. Best way is to look into building a megasquirt system, (you can buy them assembled or solder it yourself and save some cash) get a good T3/T4 hybrid turbocharger, a good intercooler, proper exhaust and the right injectors and you are pretty much there. If you have stock electronics, its easy to put on a good intercooler, throw on a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, get the upgraded turbo and maybe some injectors (tuning with stock electronics is a very subtle art of fooling an antiquated computer and its programming; the computer has to think everything is stock, and you are limited to a fuel delivery pattern that parallels stock) and you get upwards of 200 rather rapidly. Once you get there its time to do some suspension, braking, and tire upgrades anyhow.

I used to live in North Wilkesboro :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jwheless,

That's not a very good deal. You would be best buying an entire 280zxt parts car. The entire drive train will bolt in to your 70, assuming you get a mustache bar to mount the diff.

I bought my 83 parts car with 124k miles for 500, and spent a few hundred tuning it up. Now if the deal you speak of came with a clutch and a trans, that might be a much better deal.

my .02..

Jwheless,

That's not a very good deal. You would be best buying an entire 280zxt parts car. The entire drive train will bolt in to your 70, assuming you get a mustache bar to mount the diff.

I bought my 83 parts car with 124k miles for 500, and spent a few hundred tuning it up. Now if the deal you speak of came with a clutch and a trans, that might be a much better deal.

my .02..

I have to agree here. The l28et is a decent motor, but it's heavy and a little gutless for what it is (stock... of course we've all seen them built to the moon as well, but that's expensive). I just spent $500 for a parts car that I'm using most of for my s30.

However, NC may be a different story. Parts availability varies widely from place to place, and in some places the deal you got might be a steal.

So what's the VIN on your 70' S30 if you don't mind us asking? What shape is it in, if it's a one owner like you're saying, you could make enough to buy 3 or 4 240Z's and nice turbo engines to go in them. Never underestimate the value a collector will put on a rare car. Documentation is a huge deal though, as is condition... NC I'd expect a bit of rust just from sitting in the humidity... if it was garaged, and <100K mi you'd be stupid to mod it.. but hey it's your car. You dad must not know what he gave you.

Pics please...

Phar

If I'm not mistaken, '70 240s are difficult to come by. In all honesty (I'm not trying to shoot you down) I would do a full stock restoration on this car. At the most put a mild cam upgrade in it. Perhaps triple Mikuni's or other 'of that era' upgrades. If you want a real hot rod I would start out with 280Z shell and build it up. The 280's have cheaper / more parts availability. Just my 2 cents, there are guys who would give ther arms, legs and a left nut for an early 240.

Agreed. The turbo will be something you regret in a 1970. It's not one of those "nobody does it so I will and I'll be cool" things. It's one of those "nobody would dare do that because it is too special and it will most definitely not be cool" kind of things.

I don't want to shoot you down either. I just wanted to be blunt. I've had 14Zs. Don't go this to this car. You will not be cool. That's blunt. However, I bet some of us will either try to help you find a buyer so you can get the money to do it on a less special car and have the money to do it all too.

I just saw that you are in NC. My car is in North Wilkesboro, very close to you. Go by and check out the SR20. It's going to be around 400HP. Very light, wonderful engine. Click here to check it out.

Before you go cutting on a collector car and throwing a redneck pushrod motor in it or anything else, please, at least offer the car to me to purchase. I'd consider it just to save it. However, another man mentioned setting the L24 on a pallette in your garage. If you don't have to do any cutting, I think that's cool.

I'm not a "purist" in the way that I just want to rain on everyone's parade. But I've done the V8 before. I've done the gaudy "self done wide body kit". It's all silly. These cars attract collectors, real drivers, and a ton of rednecks who destroy them by the dozen per year. It just makes me sad. The cars deserve more.

My 2 cents.

So what's the VIN on your 70' S30 if you don't mind us asking? What shape is it in, if it's a one owner like you're saying, you could make enough to buy 3 or 4 240Z's and nice turbo engines to go in them. Never underestimate the value a collector will put on a rare car. Documentation is a huge deal though, as is condition... NC I'd expect a bit of rust just from sitting in the humidity... if it was garaged, and <100K mi you'd be stupid to mod it.. but hey it's your car. You dad must not know what he gave you.

Pics please...

Phar

In this particular case, I'm afraid I have to echo this post. An original, early 70 240z in good condition is worth more stock.

I have a question for you.

When was the last time you drove a 2400 pound car that had 300 horsepower?

250 horsepower?

Now, a suggestion.. Put an electronic ignition on your car. Get some performance needles for your SU carburetors. Then, do springs, struts, new bushings, get some nice wheels and tires, and see how much you like a measly 140-150 horsepower in the car.

Then see if you REALLY need more than twice that much power, and go from there. At this point, you will have a one owner 240Z that has had nothing substantial done to it to take it from stock. Of course, thats depending on how wild you go with the suspension modifying, but REALLY there is only one good direction to go, so any mods you make will not be looked at with regret by anyone in the future unless they are SUPER purist, and really, those guys are gonna cry anyway.

Seriously... Whatever the fastest car you have driven, I would bet it weighs almost half a ton more than the 240Z. If the car weighed 3100 pounds (brand new corvettes, say) that is almost 33% more mass than the Z, so to have the same ratio the Z does STOCK it would have to have ~225 horsepower. If the car weighs say, 3500 pounds, (firebird/camaro/mustang) then you are looking at needing about 300 horsepower. Now, compare it to a Z with a high powered stock engine, and you get 300 horses to 2400 pounds, your 3100 pound car needs ~450 horsepower (hey look, right about what the new vettes COME with!) and your 3500 pound car needs over 550 horsepower, almost 600.

Weight is horsepower, and more.

I have a question for you.

When was the last time you drove a 2400 pound car that had 300 horsepower?

250 horsepower?

Now, a suggestion.. Put an electronic ignition on your car. Get some performance needles for your SU carburetors. Then, do springs, struts, new bushings, get some nice wheels and tires, and see how much you like a measly 140-150 horsepower in the car.

Then see if you REALLY need more than twice that much power, and go from there. At this point, you will have a one owner 240Z that has had nothing substantial done to it to take it from stock. Of course, thats depending on how wild you go with the suspension modifying, but REALLY there is only one good direction to go, so any mods you make will not be looked at with regret by anyone in the future unless they are SUPER purist, and really, those guys are gonna cry anyway.

Seriously... Whatever the fastest car you have driven, I would bet it weighs almost half a ton more than the 240Z. If the car weighed 3100 pounds (brand new corvettes, say) that is almost 33% more mass than the Z, so to have the same ratio the Z does STOCK it would have to have ~225 horsepower. If the car weighs say, 3500 pounds, (firebird/camaro/mustang) then you are looking at needing about 300 horsepower. Now, compare it to a Z with a high powered stock engine, and you get 300 horses to 2400 pounds, your 3100 pound car needs ~450 horsepower (hey look, right about what the new vettes COME with!) and your 3500 pound car needs over 550 horsepower, almost 600.

Weight is horsepower, and more.

This is the best post I've seen in a while. Weight also makes your car brake and handle poorly. Lotus Elise's are dealing with a similar power to weight ratio. I've set up a 240Z with redone SUs, headers, exhaust, ignition, etc and it was so raw and fast.

Seriously. Let me know if you need someone to rescue that Z. I'm an available hero.

I'll go by the shop today and get the VIN, but sorry

boys cause I told dad I wouldn't sell it. But it's been garaged since 88 and when I took the valve cover off the top it looked brand new. The first thing I'm doing is finishing the rear disk conversion. I am gonna get it running first then decide what I'm ultimately gonna do. The only things not stock are the headers and street cam in it and the mini light wheels. Also I've grown up around road racing so I very much so understand power to weight. And it will get this car to 300. I don't care about restos or it being a "collector piece" but how much would it go for out of curiousity. Btw it's in immaculate shape and documented well

Agreed. Worthless without pics. BUT, let's say that you COULD have a $20,000 car here. Sounds like you're set on making it a faster $4,000 car. That's essentially why we're asking you to think really hard.

You're young. Dude, we've all been there. I don't know if I said it in another post or this one, but I'm now 30. I now own my 14th Datsun Z (240z, 260z, 280z). I was brought home from the hospital when I was born in one. All of Mom and Dad's friends had them (one had this beautiful gray 72 with a red interior... wow). We have pictures of me as a baby, as a 3 year old, 5 year old, etc with all these Z's running up into the mountains together just to picnic after church. Good stuff. So I started when I was 15. I got a 78 2+2 auto brown. Yep. That was my Dad's gift to me. I ended up taking it from an auto to a 4speed myself at 15. From there, I've done V8s. I've done turbos. I've done just about everything. I'm there with you. I'm not that faceless "purist dork". But I HAVE been there. I also am a road racer (but I use my 911 for that now). I just want you to know that I relate to the "I don't care about having a collector car. I'm going to do something crazy!" And I definitely don't think for a moment that I can sway you one way or the other. BUT, I just want to suggest to you a viewpoint that I wish I had heard back then... a viewpoint that maybe you will wish you listened to when you are older. To have a 1970 240Z given to me by my father who modded it well and really took care of it, and to then immediately start cutting on it or throwing all this HP into it with other engines... Just take a step back and think about how it would feel later on if you DID regret it. That's all we're asking, as fellow Datsun lovers.

I think you could throw an L28 in there and not hate yourself for it because you'd still have the other engine. Just please, no V8. No anything else crazy.

Not till you drive it like it is for a while.

Just my 2 cents. I've been there before, and I hear myself in each of your posts. Take care.

I'll say it again. It's your car. Do what you want to. There are many changes you can make that can be reversed for a restoration or future sale. Just keep all of the parts you remove should going backwards become reality. I have a 71 240Z and it's probably a 9 on a 10 scale. I've made numerous upgrades. None are such that I can't revert back to original. That said, I will be adding ZG eyebrows soon. That will mean major metal work not easily undone. Hey, it's my car and I plan to keep it for life.

Wow. You'd be crazy to cut that car up or swap. It's probably worth a good buck as it sits as already mentioned. You'll kick yourself down the road. If nothing else hold onto the damn thing and let it appreciate in value and find another car to hack up later on. These guys aren't lying, it's a good investment (rare to find the words good investment and car in the same sentence).

Anyway, as said you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

I have a 260Z with the L26 in it. Triple webers, cam, header, 5spd swap and a R200 rear diff. The car is a blast to drive and I plan to change the ignition in the near future to complete the package. I've toyed with the idea of doing an L28ET swap or RB26 but even with my mundane 74 Z I think I just want to leave it somewhat "period correct" and find a different example to build. As said you can have a ton of fun in this car with around 200HP. And at a young age i'm not so sure it's smart to have more than that in a 2300lb car at your disposal.

I know we don't all have ample amounts of money to do so (i'm 24 so I understand where you're coming from, a mortgage on a house doesn't make things any easier) but I feel you'll kick yourself down the road if you change this car.

Just lookin' out for ya. That's what everyone's here for, advice.

Cutting up the car is one thing. Swapping out a motor that can easily be undone is another. If it's his only toy and funds are limited it doesn't make sense to go buy yet another car. Even a later 260Z or 280Z is decent condition is going to set the average guy back. You could go buy a POS and spend untold hours and cash on building a one-off ride. I'd rather put that money into hard parts (engine, trans, springs, shocks, wheels, tires, etc) to make this car more enjoyable. REMEMBER, keep every piece you remove! Label it. Wrap it up. Box it up. Should you ever decide to revert back to original you'll have everything you need. Should you decide to sell it you can decide if it's worth more to revert it or offer the car with all of the original pieces to a propective buyer. Having said that again and again, you could possibly rebuild your original L24 if it's tired. Some minor porting, cam change, electronic ignition and exhaust work can make this a very fun car to drive. Many years ago I built my cars to run balls to the wall. They were damn fast but required constant tinkering. There was also someone out there with more money and a faster car. I prefer spirited performance over sheer speed today. Please post us pictures of your 240Z. By now, everyone wants to see what we're ranting about.

I'm not a "purist" in the way that I just want to rain on everyone's parade. But I've done the V8 before. I've done the gaudy "self done wide body kit". It's all silly. These cars attract collectors, real drivers, and a ton of rednecks who destroy them by the dozen per year. It just makes me sad. The cars deserve more.

My 2 cents.

If your attitude is that a v8 swap destroys a 240z, perhaps this isn't the site for you. Not trying to pick a fight with you, that just made me laugh out loud.

To the OP: my 2 cents is that what "ruins" a car is totally subjective, and depends on what is important to you. Obviously you should be careful about doing something you might regret later, but as it is your car, the only opinion that matters is yours.

Blakt Out go re-read the forum rules:

"1. The purpose of this site is to discuss TECHNICAL topics that pertain to the modification of the Datsun/Nissan Z cars (240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 300ZX, 350Z). No thoughtful modification that enhances performance or styling will be put down. The philosophy is one of "parts is parts" - it doesn't matter what automaker originally made the parts, if you think that using those parts on your Z will add to it's performance or cosmetic appeal. But the emphasis is on FUNCTION, not the addition of graphics, wings, etc. to only make the Z LOOK like it is a high performance car. However, everyone has their own ideas of what stylish modifications look good or bad."

And please explain to me how a pushrod LS7 is redneck.

First of all, I would lower the power expectations. 220 to 235hp at the wheels (265 to 280 crank hp) will make a strong running Z. Especially in a 240.

Get a running 280zxt with a rusted out/damaged body for cheap. ($500.00)

swap in the stock turbo engine and install an aftermarket efi system. Run 10 to 12 psi of boost with a small bar&plate intercooler.

If you need more power later (which I doubt), upgrade the turbo and install bigger injectors.

Even though a stock and clean 1970 240 has some value. It still doesn't add up to much. For some reason, the collectors value didn't go up much. I think a clean Datsun 510 will go for more. Besides, a turbo conversion doesn't cut up the car at all.

jwheless, the first thing to remember is that it's your car. You can do anything you want to with it, and if somebody else likes it or not, it's their problem and not yours. You are paying the bills and doing the work, and it's your show. Period.

All by Blakt Out:

Before you go cutting on a collector car and throwing a redneck pushrod motor in it or anything else, please, at least offer the car to me to purchase. I'd consider it just to save it.

These cars attract collectors, real drivers, and a ton of rednecks who destroy them by the dozen per year. It just makes me sad. The cars deserve more

All the power, but compact weight... all behind the steering rack. And my heart, unlike some other swaps, isn't repulsed by the abonation. I'll never feel like it was a redneck frankenstein.

WTF is an abonation??????

Blakd out, you've got a nice build going on your car. I like it. But you've installed a bunch of non original and non datsun parts. How can you criticize someone else just because their choice of non original parts is different from yours? Are you the only person who can choose the "proper" non original part from a different manufacturer?

Since you are in pain and want to save the Datsuns, I know of a nice prospect for you. The redneck owner has installed a horrible frankenstein pushrod V8, and he takes it to racetracks and abuses it regularly. You can hear the poor car screaming for a savior as it is tortured on track by massive torque and lateral g's the chassis was never meant to endure. Think of the children. Please save this poor 240Z from a life of suffering and torture for a one time donation of $20K, and give it the love and adoration only you can provide.

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax w/ 37s and a 7" Fabtech lift. 640HP. 750 ft/lbs tq.

While you're calling people rednecks, please post a pic of your 4X4 3/4 ton diesel pickup with the 7" lift kit and the 37" tires.

Just so we know where you're coming from.

jt