HybridZ

Best way to power up a 70' 240z?

Hi , im new to the scene and this site. My dad just gave me his 240z that he bought new in 70'. I have been longing to do a project car for years but still in school and limited funds. As ive been searching through the forums i haven't seen much talk or advice on turboing a n/a 240z. I want to be at the 300-350hp range but of course using the least amount of cash. Would it be better to go ahead and buy a new 280z motor with fuel injectors or could i put a triple weber on my stock engine. Also i do want to do this the right way and am prepared to wait so that i can save up and buy the right part. Thanx.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill just step up on this one and tell ya to search. Its all been covered NUMEROUS times. Try checking out all the stickies on all the sub forums.

At least point him in the right direction if you are going to post SEARCH.

Anyway welcome to HBZ and would love to hear/ see this 70 Z you just got. In order to reach the goals you want:

turbo: find a 81-83 280zxt donor (L28ET).....this is the cheapest way to go

V8: find a small block (old school motor if you have one laying around or free...or you can go with the LT1'S/LS1'S which would cost more money to do)

Building a N/A motor will be the most cash. There are plenty of motor swaps you can do just search for LS1 LT1 L28ET SR20...etc. Jeff was right about searching for answers to some basic questions beause it all has been covered once or twice before.

Now get us some pics!

thats pretty much what i was thinking from searching yesterday because every turbo swap or upgrade was on a L28et. where could i start looking to find a good one. There aren't any good junkyards around here. And i am a very new kid to the building world. As i am in school and have a job plus a sport i don't exactly have the extra hours in the day to search. I spent my only time yesterday doing that and learned alot but no one really came out and said what was the best way to go as far as bang for your buck is concerned. I do understand that it is annoying to see some new kid asking the same questions as every new person before them. I just don't have the luxury of time to spend searching the forums as much as i really want to. Thank you for your time as well. Isn't the zx motor a v6 though? I want to stick with an inline and where would a good place to find possible sr's or even an RB?

If I'm not mistaken, '70 240s are difficult to come by. In all honesty (I'm not trying to shoot you down) I would do a full stock restoration on this car. At the most put a mild cam upgrade in it. Perhaps triple Mikuni's or other 'of that era' upgrades. If you want a real hot rod I would start out with 280Z shell and build it up. The 280's have cheaper / more parts availability. Just my 2 cents, there are guys who would give ther arms, legs and a left nut for an early 240.

Since you're only talking a motor upgrade then go for it. Keep the 2.4 on a pallet in the garage for the matching numbers. Many changes can be made to your 70 that can easily be undone should the desire to do a resto come up. Just be sure to keep the old hard parts with the engine.

Here are some Z club links in NC.

http://www.carolinazclub.com, http://www.trianglezclub.com, http://www.triadzclub.com

If u lose ur left nut is ur right nut still ur right nut?

jwheless: If you really want to be in the 300-350 Hp bracket and want to do it the least expensive way possible, suggest getting a 350 or 383 Gen 1 chevrolet V8 short block from Scoggins Dickie, equipping it with MODERN aluminum heads, performance camshaft and 4L60E overdrive transmission. EFI or Carb is your choice. By the time you have located and rebuilt a L28 for the performance level you want, you would be better of going with the 350 or 383 engine and automatic transmission. Then you will get great performance WITHOUT resorting to Turbocharging/Supercharging to get 300-350 Hp.

lol, I still have the 70 car. Do whatever makes you happy! I am building a 3 liter turbo motor for my early 240z...vin 1905.....that doesn't make the purist happy but who cares! And you can get a L28ET to 300hp no problem without spending huge money.

lol, I still have the 70 car. Do whatever makes you happy! I am building a 3 liter turbo motor for my early 240z...vin 1905.....that doesn't make the purist happy but who cars! And you can get a L28ET to 300hp no problem without spending huge money.
I will be joining that club this summer, provided all goes as planned. :icon54:

...it probably won't lol. We'll see what happens.

Well my advice is to spend most of your time reasearching. Get a picture in your head of exactly how you want your project to come out. Collect all the parts you need to acheeve your desired outcome. This process can take some time, as in years. The hard to find stuff may take longer. Stick to your goal. Do not compromise and you will be happy with your results.

With that said, I agree with DAN5138. Your 1970 may be worth more to someone who wants a 1970 than it is to you, although sentimental value has no price. Then there you go instance cash for a later model Z that you can have money left to modify with. I can tell you as anyone can that a GM small block of various displacements 327,350,377,383,400,406, you get the idea, is the least expensive way to put horse power in a car.

If you want a normally asprated Nissan L6 with 300 to 350 hp look at Robello Racing's web page and their 3.2 L.

thanx for the advice but i might have found what i'm looking for. Is a l28et with p90 heads and a f54 block with wiring in good shape for 700 a solid deal. Also me being a newb and all i do have my dad and his boys who are all extremely good mechanics and drivers. They are what will be my bridge for getting this done quickly. Also where are some good sites for find good turbo upgrades for a good price. as much as price is important getting the "right" part is even more important.