HybridZ

MegaSquirt II on L28ET - need some help.

CamH

Hey everyone,

Here's what I've got:

1983 rebuilt L28ET with forged bottom end with compression bumped to 8:1

Factory distributor

Good condition factory turbo injectors

No intercooler

Factory turbo in good condition

MegaSquirt II v3.57PCB

LC-1 wideband O2 sensor

MSA downpipe

240Z coil

I wired it like this:

280zxt_v3_igbt_wiring_small.jpg

I have been working on MegaSquirting my Z since late December. Just last weekend, I finished all the wiring (I think and hope!). Everything is nicely soldered together, and looks great. Just today I got it so all of the sensors seem to be working. It displays the correct RPM when cranking, AFRs show the same as the gauge (not very helpful since it won't start) TPS works fine after I calibrated it, etc.

Anyways, I am not getting any spark, and I am not sure why. I have 12v at the coil, and the - side of the coil is wired to pin 36 on the MegaSquirt. I have the ignition settings set to 'Spark Output' to 'Going High (Inverted)' and set 'Coil Charging Scheme' to 'Standard Coil Charge', per the article on DIYautotune.

When cranking, I continue to get 12v on the + side of the coil, and the - side of the coil seems to be grounding out from pin 36, as I think it should. With my multimeter it jumps from 12v to ~5ish but I doing think the multimeter can change fast enough to show that it is actually grounding.

I've done nothing to the inside of the MegaSquirt itself as far as playing with jumpers go. It is just bone stock from DIYautotune. I'm not really sure if anything there needs to be changed.

I'll post my msq file and a few seconds of a datalog while cranking in a little bit, I have them both on the laptop I am using to tune it.

I appreciate any help or suggestions! Thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you not getting any spark out of the coil itself, or no spark out of the plug wire? If none out of the plug wire, your trigger angle could be far enough off to spark when the rotor isn't pointing at one of the terminals in the dizzy cap. My other thought was perhaps your dwell settings are way out of wack, but I'll check that when you post your .msq.

When I pulled up your .msq, your dwell settings came up at 25.5ms for both Max Dwell Duration and Max Spark Duration. All the rest of the tables and settings came up normal so I'm pretty sure it loaded correctly. If these are the values you have entered in, they're way too big. Dwell should be about 3.0ms-3.5ms, and spark duration should be .5ms to 1ms.

Edit: I pulled up one of my old .msq files, I successfully used 3.4ms dwell and .5ms discharge time with a 240z coil. They also worked well for my 280zx coil and still work well for my blaster ss coil.

When I pulled up your .msq, your dwell settings came up at 25.5ms for both Max Dwell Duration and Max Spark Duration. All the rest of the tables and settings came up normal so I'm pretty sure it loaded correctly. If these are the values you have entered in, they're way too big. Dwell should be about 3.0ms-3.5ms, and spark duration should be .5ms to 1ms.

Edit: I pulled up one of my old .msq files, I successfully used 3.4ms dwell and .5ms discharge time with a 240z coil. They also worked well for my 280zx coil and still work well for my blaster ss coil.

Thank you very much - I didn't put those values in, they are left over from someone else's settings. That will be the first thing I try when I next go down to work on the car on Saturday.

If it's the BP then he shouldn't have to worry - I will shutdown because of thermal protection, the VB though would be fried...

I know, I fried a VB once by using a dwell setting at 4. Didn't think it was that big a difference, but I found out the hard way that a VB smells horrible when the magic smoke gets out.

You'll want to check; some Megasquirts are set up for 5 volt output and have that slot empty.

Well it is a standard MegaSquirt II PCB v3.57 from your website ordered in late December. Would that tell you how it is off the top of your head?

Do you guys think he might need a Bosch 124 or other ignition module to fire the coil?.

I had this issue a year ago with my megasquirt and it ended up not being setup to fire the coil directly. He may need one to get it to spark.

I just went to the junk yard and pulled two of them off of some 80's volvo's. Worked like a charm after I wired it up and then bought a brand new one afterwards.