HybridZ

Do I really need the heat shield?

dhp123166

*I have been told* that Nissan added the webbing on the later 280Z's intake plenums because they were having issues with the heat ruining the injectors. This is second hand information, take it as you will.

The heat shield is for extra protection and I would recommend using it so your injectors will lead a long life. If you have an extra set and care more about aesthetics, then take it off.

If you look at a 280ZX engine bay they added another one to protect the brake master cylinder which is way further away than the injectors if that gives you an idea.

I don't have headers now, but have one that I will be installing and I will definately be adding a heat shield. Mine currently doesn't have one and I get Vapor Lock from heat soak if I let it sit for awhile while car is warm and it runs like crap for a couple minutes.

Very embarrassing when you go into a store looking all cool and then come out 15 minutes later and your car is backfiring and stumbling real bad.

If you look at a 280ZX engine bay they added another one to protect the brake master cylinder which is way further away than the injectors if that gives you an idea.

My first gen had one of those stock so it wasnt just the s130s... But the I removed it so you can see my turbo better :mrgreen:. Nobody else had one on there anyways:rolleyesg

I use a shield that I covered with reflective fiber cloth. I have a 76 with no hood vents and a turbo. Parked hot, it will run like A$$ 15 minutes later if I dont prop the hood up. I would shield if you don't mind the look. People think I open the hood when I park my car to show off the motor. They are partially correct...only partially. :wink:

I use a shield that I covered with reflective fiber cloth. I have a 76 with no hood vents and a turbo. Parked hot, it will run like A$$ 15 minutes later if I dont prop the hood up. I would shield if you don't mind the look. People think I open the hood when I park my car to show off the motor. They are partially correct...only partially. :wink:

I'm glad i'm not the only one!!

Hello?

In my original post I wrote that I have jet hot coated headers.

Jet hot coated headers...

JET HOT COATED HEADERS.

There is nowhere near the ambient heat that comes from the stock exhaust manifold or even uncoated headers.

We do well to read everything thoroughly and with total comprehension before we spout our opinions...

What was offered as opinions was rendered moot by a fact that was originally given by myself in the original post and was ignored by the responding posters.

Doesn't make them bad people that need to be defended. Jeez.

I explained that I have these wonderful Jet Hot coated headers. They have been installed for years now...

I have owned my Z for over a decade and know a little about sources of heat in the engine bay.

The implication in my original post (that no one got) was that "because I have drastically reduced my underhood heat, do I need the heat shield?".

I'm already bored with this.

I also have a 280Z NA with a JET HOT coated header and non-vented hood. I removed my intake manifold heat shield when the header was added. I haven't had any vapor lock related issues since doing this... but I haven't driven the car during summer without the heat shield, either. My heat shield looks like crap, but if I begin to have heat related issues this summer I will paint the shield with some brake caliper paint and bolt it back in... problem solved.

I'm confused...

If the O.P. is boasting about how effective his JET HOT COATED HEADERS are at reducing engine temps, why is he asking if he needs a heat shield if he's just gonna rip apart the responses?

Sometimes people on "teh Interwebz" make no sense to me.

They ask a question and when they don't get the answer they wanted get all pissed off. Or in this case make absolutely no sense. I'm still trying to figure out if the O.P. was making a statement or asking a question???

O.P.: If you're so knowledgable on the subject why aren't you telling us that you do or don't need it?

If the question had been phrased differently, perhaps the thread wouldn't have turned sour.

'Do I still need a heat shield if the headers have been Jet Hot coated? The coating seems to significantly reduce heat radiation."

My response would have been that every little bit of heat kept away from the intake side helps.

Oh, well. Tact is a lost art.