HybridZ

Head gasket swap gone wrong

MJLamberson

SO all but one of the ARP head studs was loose and threaded out by hand, yes, the studs. One of them was broken in half... The gasket was blown but not as bad as I was expecting.

The only good news is my pistons and other internals are fine and my head doesnt looked warped.

Looks like Im going to have to reuse some of the head bolts off my other engine, I know this is frowned upon but Ive searched and people have said that it isnt all that bad. It will only be temporary and Im not even going to reinstall my boost controller.

Im just so pissed, why is it not one thing can just go smoothly!!! not one damn thing.

It was broken before I got to it, I found it when I was taking everything apart. I havnt even started to put anything back together yet, just finished cleaning the block and head surfaces. I lost motivation for a bit, but then my headgasket came in the mail and I figured I had to finish it.

So anybody else have any opinions about reusing head bolts? I could just have all ARP and one old bolt, idk.

I have re-used head bolts and never had a problem. And over the last thirty years I have re-built over a dozen L-series engines and probably replaced that many blow head gaskets on other L-series engines.

Of course never reuse a bolt that has obvious damage like rust pitting.

Hey guys thanks a lot, I didnt even think about ordering a single replacement, But it looks like I am going to just use 1 of my other head bolts, I REALLY need my car right now so I will just have to hope it works... anyways, Im putting the head back on now, should have her running tonight, unless I run out of energy, in that case it will be tomorrow, thanks again guys.

I miss my Z! cant wait to be able to drive her again!

You can reuse OEM head bolts (done it many times). Never used ARP bolts, so I have no experience in reusing them. I'm on the 4th or 5th torquing of the same set of OEM turbo bolts.

I would check with ARP, and if you can reuse them (i expect that you can), see if you can get one bolt. The other option would be to use a complete set of OEM used or new turbo head bolts. I wouldn't mix and match the ARP with OEM.

Pete

studs are SUPPOSED TO BE INSTALLED IN THE BLOCK so they are not tightened.

and yes use of the arp torque specs and instal instructions is mandatory

its simple! run a tap thru the threads, test screw the clean/dry stud by hand to verify no clearance or binding then ,clean them and dry the threads on the block and studs,before you start the assembly, and just dip the total threaded surface on the lower studs course thread end of the stud that screws into the block into the correct sealant. spin it in your fingers slowly as you move the stud to the hole in the block to keep from dripping sealant on the deck,

thread it into the block full depth , back it out a 1/2 turn and let it set up for a few minutes before assembling the head gaskets and heads,but assemble the heads while the sealants still fresh/liquid, torque too spec and let the engine set for a few hours (preferably over night)

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=386

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50&hilit=+studs

The original post implies that something is wrong if the studs are only hand tight, but that is OK. You put them in hand tight and that is it. I just removed mine on my 4G63 and all the studs came out easily by hand after removing the nuts. Also, make sure you use the ARP moly lube and correct torque specs with the lube. The moly lube makes a huge difference on getting the correct torque without friction becoming an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
studs are SUPPOSED TO BE INSTALLED IN THE BLOCK so they are not tightened.

and yes use of the arp torque specs and instal instructions is mandatory

its simple! run a tap thru the threads, test screw the clean/dry stud by hand to verify no clearance or binding then ,clean them and dry the threads on the block and studs,before you start the assembly, and just dip the total threaded surface on the lower studs course thread end of the stud that screws into the block into the correct sealant. spin it in your fingers slowly as you move the stud to the hole in the block to keep from dripping sealant on the deck,

thread it into the block full depth , back it out a 1/2 turn and let it set up for a few minutes before assembling the head gaskets and heads,but assemble the heads while the sealants still fresh/liquid, torque too spec and let the engine set for a few hours (preferably over night)

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=386

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50&hilit=+studs

That's odd, because all the turbo jap cars I used to work on was completely different:

Clean threads

Lube studs and install to finger tight

Torque to spec in stages

Warm car up to full temp

Retorque while still warm

Done.

Doing it that way, they don't come out with just finger pressure. What's the point of studs if they don't bottom out and give you some initial counter-tension before you tighten them with the nuts?

For the OP, when modifying Evo VIII's, they only take so much before they will blow the headgaskets due to stock head bolts (like, maybe 360+ whp). If the car comes to us with relatively low miles (like 15k miles or less), we will take out one headbolt at a time and install an ARP stud in it's place at about half torque until they are all in and then torque them in proper order to proper spec. Can be done in much less time (just remove the valve cover for access). You can probably run a replacement bolt for now and install a replacement ARP stud as soon as it comes in.