HybridZ

How to install SS Cat into mild steel exhaust?

heavy85

Well I just got some Magnaflow spun cats for the LS1. Yeah it's primarily a racecar but I'm tired of smelling like exhaust every time I drive it. I have side exhaust so it's not a seal issue it just wraps around and in the window. Anyway, they arrived today and I'm amazed how light they are. Probably only a lb or two more than just the straight tube. So now I'm scratching my head how to install them. I've got dual 2.5" mild steel pipes but the cats are SS slip-on fit so the pipes will slip inside. Any ideas? Weld mild to SS? Some type of clamp??

Thanks

Cameron

Heavy85,

Can you post pictures of your side exit exhaust?

2008_0810MCAug10Race0078_sized.jpg

You can see it poking out just in front of the tire. Basically dual 2.5 to x pipe behind tranny mount then roughly 90 degree to either side to straight through Magnaflows then a stubby 'tip' to take it somewhat out of the wheelwell. Sounds great and honestly is not too loud. It's on stands so if you want I can take a bottoms up picture.

Cameron

When MatMan bought that huge pile of parts we took the industrial shelving they were on. After the first trip in the back of a huge moving van one of the shelves broke. I borrowed a welder from the guy who was selling us the stuff and grabbed a couple pieces of scrap from his welding table to brace the shelves. Turns out I grabbed stainless (oops) and welded it to the pallet rack style shelving. Worked fine with a 220V Miller and I think 75/25 Ar/CO2. I'm sure it's still holding up 20 or 30 Z doors today...

You can see it poking out just in front of the tire. Basically dual 2.5 to x pipe behind tranny mount then roughly 90 degree to either side to straight through Magnaflows then a stubby 'tip' to take it somewhat out of the wheelwell. Sounds great and honestly is not too loud. It's on stands so if you want I can take a bottoms up picture.

Cameron

Cameron, I definitely would like to see some pics of your setup.

Thanks for the feedback. Internet searching shows a bunch of heated debate on MS to SS. Most end up with theoretical you shouldn't do it vs 'well I did it and it lasted 10 ... 20 ... years ... offroad ... etc. Guess I'll try and see what happens. Sure will make them easy to install just hope they dont rob power.

Per request here's a couple more pics

P10100281.JPG

P10100303.JPG

Cameron

To weld mild steel to stainless steel you could use a 309L fill rod.

If you're TIGing, use pure argon, if you're MIGing, you could use 98/2 Argon/C02.

I migged that stainless to mild with the standard Argon/CO2 mix of 75/25. That was my point. Mild steel wire, regular gas, welded it up no problem at all. I didn't even know it was stainless until the guy told me. I said "I didn't even know you could weld stainless to mild steel" and he responded "Neither did I."

I too didn't think you could weld the 2 together. I was tig welding some mild steel and accidentally used stainless filler rod. I showed my instructor and he was sort of surprised. I had asked him why and he told me it was an old trick used by some guys that believed using stainless rod on mild steel gave the weld more strength.

Here's a pic of my stainless borla and stainless tip that was welded with my mig using steel wire. it actually welds pretty nice too. I think with a little finish to protect the welds they should last.

IMG_2521.JPG

I think with a little finish to protect the welds they should last.

Yes, I think this is the point. The weld won't be stainless, so if there is going to be rust anywhere, it's here. For Cameron, I don't think it matters because the rest of the pipe isn't stainless. It will probably be less rust proof than the rest of the pipe if it is aluminized, but just spray the weld with some hi-temp paint and it should be functional if not as rust resistant as stainless to stainless with full argon, purged tubing, etc.