HybridZ

Push Lok Hose/Fittings

Hi Ed

I bought some 1/2 push lock fittings and some non parker hose from mcmaster carr for my vacuum log. The hose sucked flatter than a pancake. I read the specs on the parker hose and it say's it will take up to 28" of vacuum so maybe it's more ridgid. The hose is a bit tricky to get on but it seems to seal really well. I heated the ends in hot water and used a little soap.

Derek

Awesome hose. Been using it for years and never had an issue. I am using 3/8" for the remote auto tranny cooler lines and most of my EFI return line. Estimate I have over 15' of it in my car.

Hard to imagine a hose rated for 250psi being sucked flat by 28 inches of vacuum.

I just spray a little WD40 on the inside tip of the hose before I push it on.

Awesome hose. Been using it for years and never had an issue. I am using 3/8" for the remote auto tranny cooler lines and most of my EFI return line. Estimate I have over 15' of it in my car.

Hard to imagine a hose rated for 250psi being sucked flat by 28 inches of vacuum.

I just spray a little WD40 on the inside tip of the hose before I push it on.

Are you inferring my manifold sucks!

I just looked up the hose I bought from mcmaster and it has a working psi of 250. I ended up sliding a piece of 1/2" od nylon tubing inside it to keep it from collapsing. The brand is w.p. flex lock. I can't find any vacuum data on the hose just pressure. Going with the parker brand may be the way to go.

Derek

I just got some of the blue -10 stuff from ATP turbo to do my power steering return line. Worked great. Just as nice as the aeroquip and earls push lock stuff that I used on my z back in the day.

Beats the hell out of trying to assemble braided stuff, let me tell you that.

One tip I read online, was to dip the hose end in hot water to soften it before you try to slide the fitting in.

Evan

Hot water with a rubber hose works great for softening it up and letting it stretch over a fitting. Sometimes it just isn't enough though. If you have a really tough one try using a tea kettle that whistles. Get the water in it boiling and hold the end of the hose in the stream of steam. That'll get it really hot without burning or melting the hose. Works great on nylon hose that's easy to crack/split.

Parker's recommendations are for industrial applications. A clamp will help reduce the chances of the hose pulling off the fitting in event of an accident or component failure. XRP, Goodrich, etc. all recommend a clamp for push lock hose use in automotive applications

Ed,

I've been running those fittings and that hose ever since I got my Z back together. I used them for the fuel system and to plumb an oil cooler, never had a problem.

I used the same method Scottie-GNZ used to assemble the hose, squirt a little WD on the fitting and a little inside the hose and it goes together relatively easy.

JohnC

Thanks for posting the link to that catalog, I'd never heard it was good idea to clamp the push-on style hose ends. Do you think worm gear style clamps would be sufficient?

Do you think worm gear style clamps would be sufficient?

Yes, just don't clamp them so tight it damages the hose. You should not see the hose squeezing through the slots or bulging up the sides of the clamp. The idea behind the clamps is that if there's sharp tug on the hose there's an extra margin of safety.

I have a question here.

A hose has a pressure rating, in Derek's case it was 250psi. Now I have always assumed that you could pump 250psi in there without the tube bursting.

But when your talking vacuum, you are talking about sucking rather then pushing. So wouldn't the pressure rating be useless if you are trying to find a hose that doesn't collapse under vacuum?

in simple terms, yes, to some degree.

that hose rated to 250psi burst pressure, will also be rated to -250psi burst pressure.

obviously that'd never happen, but thats what the material itself is rated to.

If the hose structure isnt capable of holding its own shape under compression (not extension, like when pressurised) it'll collapse, and may require an internal reinforcement, like a nylon tube, or spring.

Trust me, if you don't get some cheaply made ones, you don't ned a clamp for them. My teacher passed around a peice from his super-modified to the class and no one was able to get the fitting out, they're on there for good. So if you're gonna use it on something you're gonna take apart, add extra to it because you're gonna have to cut the hose to get it off and you want that extra length of hose so you can slip it back on instead of buying a whole new hose.

• Administrators
Trust me, if you don't get some cheaply made ones, you don't ned a clamp for them. My teacher passed around a peice from his super-modified to the class and no one was able to get the fitting out, they're on there for good. So if you're gonna use it on something you're gonna take apart, add extra to it because you're gonna have to cut the hose to get it off and you want that extra length of hose so you can slip it back on instead of buying a whole new hose.

How many of you simulated crashes?

If you need to take it apart, you did something wrong.