HybridZ

GM 2 Liter engines for Z's!

Bart Hoedemaker

I don't see your Americans use these engines much, mostly the Japs. But the can make reliable horsepower! And are very indestructable, and have history in auto-sport. I have used the 16 Valve non-turbo version myself, with a 5 speed manual. And it pushed the car weighing 1070 kg easily to 250 km/h, with just 200 horsepower. There are excellent mid-engines for Z's.

There are 2 versions:

The 2 Litre 16 Valve, with 5 speed manual ( Can also put 6 speed manual ) 150 BHP, 110 KW, Boring X Stroke both 86.0

43ok4.jpg

id335.jpg

16v.jpg

The 2 Litre 16 Valve Turbo, with 6 speed manual 204 BHP

image031ntg.jpg

They would be nice but they don't exist here in the US and I haven't heard of an importer making them available.

Actually, minus the turbo that looks like the engine in my wife's Suzuki Forenza. The Daewoo Laganza used a 2.2L version of the the same engine. I was shocked after buying the car to see GM stamped all over the engine compartment. Gas mileage is ok. Only about 25-28mpg city/hwy respective.

They can be had pretty cheap actually, around $300 if you look hard enough. They are a relatively new engine though so finding engines won't be as easy as some other engines. I don't see anything wrong with them. If I was dead set on a turbo 4 cylinder they'd be an engine demanding me to compare it to the KA.

• Administrators
the iron block leads me to believe its not an ECOTEC

That was my first thought. He posted two different blocks, though. This block is alum...

AlumBlock.jpg

...still, the architecture is 'off'.

The Turbo block picture, I think they just painted it. It should by cast-iron. Anyhow there are also Ecotec's but that are the later versions.

Ass from Wiki:

The naturally-aspirated 16-valve version of the 2.0 L— 1998 cc (121.9 cu in) — cast iron block engine is the successor to the OHC-engines and a predecessor to the 16-valve Ecotec-line of engines.

the iron block eco was never anything that made it over to the states. Ecos did originate in europe as a joint venture with GM and Fiat. That opel motor is indeed an ecotec. Bart, is that your car? I am curious as to which transmission is bolted to it.

It's not my car, I had a similiar engine in the past but in a opel corsa.

The gearboxes for the engines are original:

For the 16V: F20 5-speed manual

For the 16VT: F28 6-speed manual, also AWD versions.

The ratio's I have no idea!

Sometimes the also bolt gearboxes from smaller engines, because the have close-ratio, lower top speed, more pulling. But they are less strong than the F20/28

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately those motors never came into the states :(. I wish they did, I'd put one in my mini in a heart beat. At any rate, they were named (internally by GM) as the "ecotec", though this motor came before the "US" Ecotec. IIRC, they're completely separate engines and designs (I like the Iron block euro motor better) and during the CX reign in europe when these motors were fighting with the big boys like the Cossie motors and the array of German DTM derivied monsters, we were stuck with the ol' quad 4 and it's deravitives. The new Ecotec is company wide and has a new head design along with an Alloy block and (unfortunately) some accountant decided they needed to lop off 4 of the 8 counterweights on their forged LSJ crankshaft.

Either motor is amazing really, in the pro FWD classes of drag racing, while most motors are afforded a max displacement of 2.8L (The Toyota tacoma 2.7 is huge in this class), the Ecotec was capped at (I believe) 2.2L, maybe even 2.0L and they still consistently made the finals.

He's right. Thanks to wiki...

These engines use heads designed by Cosworth (Project KB) and the heads are reported to still flow better than the impressive Ecotec Heads. The final incarnation of these motors were stuffed in the Opel and Vauxhall Astra's Amongst others, the engine produced 156hp in NA form with a drop to 9.0:1 compression and the aid of 8.7psi, the turbocharged variant produced 204hp at 5600rpm and 210ft/lbs at 2100rpm. Pretty impressive numbers for a stock motor at those rev's if you ask me.