HybridZ

Motor Decision - Road course/street car

Sirk.240

Drop the L28 in progress or go RB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Drop the L28 in progress or go RB?

• Stick with the old school, L28ET
    • Go RB or go home

Okay, so here it is. I'd like to get some opinions on if i should dump the L28 and go RB. I'm not sure if I should post this here but given that several of you have already gone down that road you will most likely have a different out look than me. Going RB seems like an ass load of work, but for what I want is it worth it?

Info:

I am wanting to build the car to take to a local road course, and maybe some larger events if I can bring my self to pay the extreme prices that tracks charge. I want the car to be extremely responsive and have a wide power range to play with while on the track. I also wouldn't mind taking it out on the weekend and leaving daddy's boy in the Vett. 8 cars back.

I have the L28 built with forged pistons, lightened crank and the whole rotating assembly balanced. A good family friend that used to race Z's back in the 80's put together a beautiful head for me, and I have a gt28 71R turbo. I'm lacking manifolds, fuel system, and ECU to get it together.

My thoughts:

I'm afraid that I will be limited to the power that I can achieve out of the L28. But at the same time I'm not looking for a dyno queen or a straight line car. The RB has a lot more support and a lot more aftermarket parts available for it. But the swap (after adding everything up) seems like it would quite costly. I work full time, but I go to school full time and pay for a little out of pocket. I'm not looking to spend an outrageous amount on the motor because I would like to do a few upgrades to the under body (suspension, brakes, sub-frame).

That's what I have so far, I've been scrolling through, reading posts in the RB forum and it looks interesting.

Let me know what you think I should go with. Thanks guys.

I've been doing track days for quite a while now. In another platform I suffered a major catastrophic failure of the motor (threw a rod thru the block). Road course duty is much harder than most people think. You're out there for 20-45 minutes PER SESSION, and that abuse throws more heat into the oil and sustained abuse at the motor than you might imagine. I'd recommend picking a motor that will be easy to maintain and cost effective to rebuild. From what I remember when we were sourcing parts for my Son's RB motor build, the RB series just isn't cost effective, especially if you're on a budget. To answer your own question, price out rebuilding both powerplants.

For the "best" bang for the buck, using it on a road course, you're much better served to sort the braking and suspension first. Those two areas will pay much larger dvidends to those wanting to learn proper road course skills. Having a lot of HP/ torque and no way to use it in the application you've chosen can be quite frustrating. I've seen many drivers in much higher HP cars get humbled by the skilled driver in the underpowered and well sorted Mazda Miata.

Just some things to think about from someone whose been doing the track day thing for going on two decades (on and off since 1985).

Mike Kelly

I think Mikelly hit it on the head. Gobs of hp and torque are fun but a well sorted suspension with big brakes on all fours, will serve you better on the road course. If money is no object, then you can have it all but the L6 is a solid platform that you can keep running without spending a fortune. A well prepaired and well driven 2800 lb z car with a 250 hp L6 can really get around the corners.

I say the RB. I appreciate the arguments below but an L28 build can be pricy as well...I know as I built an L31 before my RB install.

I like the RB series because:

• The build cost isnt that bad...its all a matter of what you want
  • bit it costs have dropped
  • Parts ARE readily available..except the oil pan.
  • It comes with more power right out of the box
  • You can increase the power with a simple boost contoller
  • Its a "modern" engine ...great starting pateform to grow with
  • Gets decent fuel economy
  • Runs smooth with out the burping and farting of a hot L28/L31
  • Its fits just fine.
  • Go the RB25
  • Lots of install info right here on Hybridz
  • I have a RB S30.......:mrgreen:

I know there are a million counterpoints. ie....

• Fabrication
  • Wiring
  • Different tuning know how....etc...etc...etc

Ultimately you need to make a decision based on your capabilities. Saying that...Im not a natural gearhead and I managed to do it.

100% without question a mild RB30 will do everything better, perioid.

Except for weight and chassis balance in the S30. Going fast around a race track has more to do with driver skill and chassis/suspension setup then horsepower. Its so common to see big horsepower cars get passed by car's with less then half the power that its a running joke with racers.

A well prepaired and well driven 2800 lb z car

Geez! How much do you weigh? :-)

If you don't have a healthy budget or are incredibly capable and resourceful in building and fabricating then don't go with the RB. It's a nice motor with lots going for it but it is not a domestic motor so expertise and parts are relatively hard to find.

I've been road racing mine RB-based S30 for several years now and it's a ton of fun but it's been a lot of work to get the bugs out. I'm sure you could build a lot milder setup than I did and end up with a more reliable motor, but then you're going to be doing not a lot better than a V8 or L28 turbo setup.

number one thing to build for if you do go this direction is oil control. Road courses are unforgiving. I'm on my third block for this reason (ok, I'm a slow learner ;)

you can see the build (mistakes and all) in my blog:

mark

I like the arguments. I am pretty much on a budget.. I'm a porter at a nissan dealership here in Orlando and go to school at night. In a few months they were talking about moving me to a service writer then to a tech when I get out of school. SO...

I appreciate all of the opinions, I knew it was a good idea to ask here, because well... you guys have been there and done that.

I think I will put together the L28 as cheaply as possible, focusing on oil control/cooling and coolant control/cooling. (need to figure a way to get better cooling with that damn head) Then go as all out as I can on suspension and brakes.

Damn you guys are always helpful! :eek: Thank you, again.

Kris~