HybridZ

Anyone else have this problem with their license plates?

josh817

I have the original 1972 Texas plates for my 240. I was pulled over one night (let off with a verbal warning) however the officer took 20-30 minutes in his car to pull up my information so I'm thinking oh god what it he going to do now. Actually, he was looking up my license plate. The problem is that apparently in Texas, I don't know about other states, they reuse old plate numbers and my plate wasn't registered for my car, rather it was for a lady who owns a 2007 Honda Civic.

Thats all fine an dandy as long as I don't get gunned down for it however I just did while taking my online defensive driving course to withdraw a ticket I have. They ask security questions to make sure it is YOU taking the course and not your buddy. You can get 7 questions wrong until they lock you out and you have to call them. Well 2 of my 3 received had to do with my license plate, what year is your car, what county is it registered in. So here I am getting pissed so I call them up and they are having me use my moms plates rather than mine. I told him my plate numbers and thats when he said there isn't a 240z for those plates, the only thing registered for that is a lady with a 2007 Honda Civic.

Tomorrow I'm off to the DPS or DMV whichever it is to see how I can get my car back on these plates.

Discuss, anyone else have this problem?

No... They just reuse old numbers so you don't have some number from the 1930's not in use. There are millions of vehicles in the US and each plate has 6 letters/numbers right? I don't know what the rules of plates are like you can't have all letters, you have to have at least one number I think or something? 26 letter in the alphabet, 10 numbers to choose from (0-9), numbers and letters can repeat (so you don't do 26 x 25 x 24, rather you do 26 x 26 x 26). Do the math and figure that reusing numbers for plates/cars that don't exist might be necessary. I don't have my calculator with me so don't ask me. :P

Do you have the little blue sticker with the plates? In texas you have to have the dated plates approved via special plate registration, then they send you the two blue registration stickers, one with the years date, and the second with a cross referenced tag number. It's a major PITA and most city and county cops have no idea how to properly look them up, I can't count how many times I've been pulled over for "no registration" only to have to explain to them how the tags work. Pffft.

Actually many states use 7 numbers/letters.

CA has original plates and numbers that changed every five years or so.

From 55 or 56 to 62 the plates were yellow with black numbers (6 Digits)

From 63 to 69 or so the plates were black with yellow numbers (6 Digits)

From 70 to maybe 78 or 79 they were blue with yellow (7 digits)

Then they went white with blue numbers and various backgrounds (7 digits)

So you could have a 63 series plate with ROH685, and a 56 series plate with the same number.

But when you try to get numbers issued for 'year of issue' plates (meaning putting blue plates on a 70 Z for instance) they check for the registration, and if it's not in use, and not been used for the past 5 years...you can register the car with that set of plates.

The only discussion is the DMV needs to get their stuff straight and give you some new plates for free since it's causing a problem. Press it to a supervisor to make it happen. No need to pay anything, it's their mess-up.

Well they're the 1972 Texas plates which are green letters and a white background, 3 letters and 3 digits (BTV 837 I think). I went through the process of finding a set, because they're like $80 to find a GOOD set and I paid $35. Then we had them inspect for any rust or discoloration because they won't except ****ty plates, they passed. It hasn't really been a problem today and it was an easy fix. The 3 times I've been pulled over only one of the times did the state trooper take forever to process and he didn't say it was a problem he just said "oh yah another car popped up under those plates so it was taking a while". My ticket was issued under these plates too and no problem so who knows. I never received any sort of stickers, I just use these plates and have my registration and inspection sticker. The guys from the online defensive driving thing said the plates won't be on the certification paper that I turn into court so I'm just using Mom's plates, no biggy but I was freaking out at the time.

Who knows. I really don't want to get regular plates, I like my classic plates so people know at least what era it was from. And yes, I will not be paying for any new plates as it isn't my problem when someone can't do their job, thus me doing everything myself when possible.

People these days.

I remember when i first registered my bike, the california DMV sent me plates with "exempt" on them where the registration stickers go, the plate still matched my rego, but something just wasnt quite right about it and sure enough they sent me the wrong plates, so after a months worth of haggling with the fat people at the DMV and a bucket of chicken later, they sent me the correct plate and now im stuck paying like $170 a year registering the damn thing. still have the exempt plate and permanent rego in my name though just in case.

Actually many states use 7 numbers/letters.

CA has original plates and numbers that changed every five years or so.

From 55 or 56 to 62 the plates were yellow with black numbers (6 Digits)

From 63 to 69 or so the plates were black with yellow numbers (6 Digits)

From 70 to maybe 78 or 79 they were blue with yellow (7 digits)

Then they went white with blue numbers and various backgrounds (7 digits)

Did I catch an error with Wiki D :shock:

Early 70's plates were still six digit I believe in CA. Or atleast, mine is somehow. Three numbers then three letters.

Well got back from the DMV and they said basically Texas has run out of letter/number combination and yes they started to recycle old numbers. There is a lady somewhere with a passenger plate with my number and I have a classic plate. They said it wouldn't be a problem unless on of us gets a ticket in the area. For instance, if she dets a ticket in the DFW area, its going to hit her AND me for it. So basically I have to lose my '72 plates and get regular old plates or have a lot of explaining to do when one of us gets a ticket or whatever. :evil:

That pisses me off!