HybridZ

Black T56 clucth oil??

The clutch fluid keeps turning black. There is a black residue all over the bottom of the master. It's a new Tilton master with a braided line to the stock slave. I run synthetic dot 3/4 brake fluid. I've changed it a couple times and within a day or two it's black again. Clutch works fine I'm just concerned that there is a seal thats degrading and will fail at the wrong time. Any ideas?

Thanks

Cameron

Mine does the same thing. It hasn't caused a failure in several years now. I can only guess dye from the seals/orings discolors the fluid. It looks bad and bugs me somewhat, but I've flushed the fluid several times and the dark color returns.

jt

My fluid does the same as well. I've probably flushed it 4 - 5 times in the last 3k miles and the black color always returns within a day or two. Its got to be something in the slave cylinder causing it, because the same thing happens regardless of master cylinder choice. Still works great for me though.

Guess it's normal then but sure doesn't make me feel better about it. Eventually it's got to eventually run out of black crap to dye the fluid .... then what. Guess I'll run it 'till she breaks - it wouldn't be the first time I had to drive a car home without a clutch.

Cameron

Racinjitter just made a post about some lines that are unsuitable for use with various fluids, regarding stainless lines (on z31performance.com).

"The only earls hose that is rated for fuel use is the speed-flex line of hoses. It has a inner liner that is coated with teflon that gas cannot permeate. This line is aslo good for use in brake systems."

of course it's an Earls product that is mentioned here, but it's possibly something to consider looking into. The rubber gets unstable after being subjected to certain chemicals and it could very well be a rubber-line residue that is slowly melting away. But it would probably take years to experience the consequences of running such lines on such applications where they were not intended to be run.

Sorta makes you wonder why they don't make this more of a general warning, like Cigarette Pack warnings.

i have about 11k miles on my swap now. brand new [at swap] tilton master, earls teflon braided ss hose and fluid was black within a day or 2 of getting the z on the road. repeated flushings have not eliminated the problem. looks like we are all experiencing the same issue but does not seem to be a problem.

I have the same issue with the stock MC and slave cylinder (both replaced and system flushed). Why would the rubber hose have this effect on the clutch but not on the brake system? I haven't seen this discussed, but always assumed that the type of rubber used for the MC cups and hoses was the same for both brakes and clutches.

This part doesn't make sense to me - what's different about the clutch system vs. the brakes?

• 4 weeks later...