HybridZ

Opinions on a cheap, fun, commuter car

BayAreaZT

I’m looking to pick up a commuter car so I don’t have to drive the Z 40 miles each way in the summer. The car has to be fuel efficient, fairly reliable, and fun to drive. I may occasionally auto cross it just for kicks. Back seats are a plus but not absolutely necessary. Budget is < $3000.

Some cars I have in mind

Early miata - I’d like a ’94-’97 but those seem to be pushing the $3000 mark. I would also want a hard top for it since it rains a lot here in the summer.

Mk2 GTI - I’ve never driven one but I’ve always read they’re a blast to drive and they get 30+ mpg.

EG civic hatch - Good gas mileage and reliable if not hacked up.

CRX - Same as civic.

E36 BMW 318ti - Kinda like a upscale, RWD GTI.

E30 325is - Another fun car I’ve always admired.

Anyone care to share opinions or experiences with these cars?

• Administrators

How about one of those old Datsuns? I hear the 240, 260 and 280-Z cars fit that role pretty well as a 2 seater. Not only competitive in Autocross on a national level, but a HOOT to drive on the back roads carving corners, decent fuel mileage with properly tuned EFI, fun, sporty, etc. There is even this incredibly in-depth first rate forum dedicated to extreme performance versions. You might want to ask those guys... :wink:

4 seats.. hmmm... Maybe an SR20DET powered 510, though that may exceed the allotted budget... shrug.gif

There is even this incredibly in-depth first rate forum dedicated to extreme performance versions. You might want to ask those guys... :wink:

:eek2: You mean to tell me that there's a forum where I can get information on how to turn my old datsun into a performance monster??? Whodathunkit?

• Administrators

The Miata is a cool choice, though there is a stigma attached to them when guys wearing comfortable shoes are driving the proverbial bitch-basket, (the original VW Rabbit convertibles coined that phrase that rolled over to the Miata). The Miata is a very capable corner carver for sure...

CRX, would be a wonderful FWD toy with some mild torque enhancements, those little 2 seat hatches are a hoot!

BMW 3 series. I don’t care if it is E30, E36, E46, etc, one of those with an LS1 and you have an incredible 4 seat performer! If I had to commute in a four seater, an LSx powered 3 series would be on the top of my list!!!! I would even consider the 4 door versions!

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1_4_63

CRX. Love em, so fun yet economical, they are the closet to driving a go-cart on the street as I have come. If you want comfort though, be weary of the German cars. I had a 98 Mercedes that I loved dearly and it drove like a dream. But the rumors are true, parts are a nightmare, and some require "special tools", so off to the dealer you go. I paid 1200 bucks for new front control arm bushings. Traded it in a week later.

From my own experience:

1986-87 Honda Accord LX-i Hatchback. I got one a couple years ago for $300. It was surprisingly fun to drive, in addition to back seats and plenty of room. It also got great mileage. Try to get the 5-spd manual with fuel injection. I could only take one car with me when I left CA, and I almost took it with me instead of the Z.

• Administrators
I bought a '93 Miata last fall for a daily driver and love it. It came with Konis, Eibach springs, Racing Beat Chassis braces, a Thermal cat back exhaust, 16" Kosei wheels and a roll bar for only $4000. Just turned 129K last week and runs like a top.

miata8-17-08003.jpg

Very clean inside and out. Looks nice. Ride height looks aggressive... :2thumbs.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Braap - Thanks for putting evil thoughts in my head. Now I have visions of a cheap E36 for now with a LSx swap in the future :twisted:

Nismo - gotta love that semi-trailing arm suspension :). Any maintenacne nightmares with the 318? That California ragtop is pretty rare isn't it?

Jimbob - that is a clean miata. Pretty much exactly how I would want mine to look.

AK-Z - I would go for a swift but I hardly ever see them for sale around here. I recently sold our '08 Odyssey and bought a '09 Fit sport. It's a little under powered but still a blast to drive. The wife loves it. It's been getting 36 mpg too. Right now we share the Fit which is why I need my own commuter.

jknc90 - I've considered a maxima but it's kinda at the bottom of the list. I know they are decent cars but they just seem a little boring to me.

Any maintenance nightmares with the 318? That California ragtop is pretty rare isn't it?

Only changing the oil filter (which is located on the top front of BMW motors). The 325i M50 motor has an enclosed aluminum unit for the oil filter. For some reason BMW used a plastic cap for the 318 M44 motor which allows oil to run down the block upon removal. That was my only complaint w/ the car. And the ragtop w/ the ///M package was pretty rare. I think only 1500 were made.