HybridZ

Custom HID Upgrade Conversion

S130Z

As I was wondering through the new junk yard today looking for a Z31 ECU and MAF, I stumbled along some projector housing in a Hyundai Tiburon.

2642_1062214868149_1009276435_30212586_5385295_n.jpg

I figured these would work great to put in my crappy ebay $30 lenses. So i cut out the insides of the housings and made the whole big enough for the new lens to slide through. I added some door trim to the edge of the exposed housing to make it fit snug.

2642_1062215868174_1009276435_30212589_1599094_n.jpg

Then I slid the new lens in and it fit snug. Luckily the headlight bracket holds the lens nice and tight when everything is put together So I did not really need to make something to secure it to the housing.

2642_1062215908175_1009276435_30212590_1692531_n.jpg

2642_1062215948176_1009276435_30212591_4123897_n.jpg

I will get some night pics up tomorrow after I make the other one.

photo.php?pid=30212586&id=1009276435&ref=mf

As usual, nothing goes as planned. One of my bulbs burnt out after installation so I have to order some new ones. I will get some night pics up soon in a week or two. If I find any more projector housings, would anyone be interested in buying a pair of lenses if I make them?

The projector housing is by no means "Top Notch" material. I will be searching the yard again for a higher quality projector. The light spread from the one bulb was about as bright as when I had my previous setup with both lights functioning. I am also going to go with a 3000k, which is brighter then the ones I have now.

If I can find some more housings to make a few pairs to sell, they will be made with greater craftsmanship involved, as this was my first attempt and have found a few flaws in my work.

...... so no converter is used? .....

Yes there is a converter being used. The ballasts are separate.

Just a quick update, I picked up another set of projectors today. This set is about 3/4" wider than the first set that I got. There are 4 total projectors, 2 for low beams and 2 for hi beams. I will try and make these for a set that I can sell if anyone is interested. Once I get my new bulbs in, I will tests these projectors for brightness and get some pics for everyone.

Just a quick update, I picked up another set of projectors today. This set is about 3/4" wider than the first set that I got. There are 4 total projectors, 2 for low beams and 2 for hi beams.

Would you mind telling us what vehicle these projectors came off? It's 1/2 price day here coming up fri.-sat. and I have a trip planned.

I sure hope you read this and reply before that!!

Honestly, I cannot remember exactly what model, bu it was an Infiniti. I just walk around looking for projectors. If you come across a newer Infiniti Q45 with the Gatling Projectors, get them and send them my way.

Would you mind telling us what vehicle these projectors came off? It's 1/2 price day here coming up fri.-sat. and I have a trip planned.

I sure hope you read this and reply before that!!

I got my 3000k bulbs in tonight and WOW what a difference. I will be getting picks up tomorrow night for everyone. Just for a reference, I tested out my other projector housings, and they are a bit brighter and have a nicer spread pattern than the ones I got out of the Hyundai. I will not be using the new ones out of the Infiniti as they are too large to fit in with the S130 brackets. If someone wants to send me a pick of the headlight bracket of a S30 for a clearance reference, that would be awesome.

Also if some one is interested in a pair for a S30, I will make this set to sell.

Tonight I found out, what I thought were weak old bulbs, was a combination of weak, old bulbs and a bad ballast. I will be getting a new ballast shortly. I guess this is what I get for having ebay projectors. I tried to take pics, but I could not get a good image. I need a nice wall to shine my lights on. I did notice how effective the beam line was while driving. The higher section starts dead center in the middle of the two lanes.

• 2 months later...