HybridZ

oil halfway up the dipstick?

i checked my oil today in my 280zx and it was about halfway up my dipstick? i wiped it clean and tried again. same thing? idk how this is happened i checked it last weekend and it was right at the top marker or H i think it is. any idea whats going on? oil pan doesnt look crushed. but im not sure. help!?

dylan

I'd bet it isn't only oil in the pan. My guess woud have been fuel if you had a mechanical fuel pump but since you have a ZX that can't be. Has the car run any different in the last week? What does the coolant look like?

You're supposed to check most automatic transmissions while at operating temperature and in neutral.

Engines will not have all of their oil in the pan and it will be in the process of being flung around by the crank and other reciprocating mass while running. You want the engine off for at least 30 seconds to allow for most of the oil to drain back to the pan and give you a correct reading on the dipstick.

• Administrators

DOH!!!

Automatic transmission level is checked with the engine running, NOT engine oil!

Only check your "engine oil" after the engine has been shut off and sitting for approx 2-5 minutes to allow the residual oil that is pooled up high in the engine to drain/flow back into the pan. Then remove the dipstick, don't even look at the level, just wipe it off clean with a clean rag/power towel, reinsert dipstick all the way, promptly remove the dipstick again and note the level. THAT will be your engine oil level, with the car on level ground of course. :wink:

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators
Thanks, BRAAP, I missed a few key points in there(when you @$$ume...)

Your post was just fine. I was writing mine and posted it before refreshing. Mine is redundant, sorry about that.

well i know its too low. cuz im like 100 miles over my oil change: need to do that this weekend.

Mileage is not an accurate indication of a possibly low oil level! scratch.gif

The ONLY way you know for sure your ACTUAL engine oil level is to actually go outside, pop the hood, and CHECK IT! :shock:

My wife uses this one on me all the time.

You only have to be 2% smarter than the object you are attempting to use, Paul! in this case, it's a dipstick! :lmao:

Go out and verify your engine oil level! :wink:

The "Check Engine" light, although pretty to look when illuminated, can at an inopportune time such as in the middle of an intersection, instantly become the “Chuck Engine" light... :shock:

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators
Bah - Gotta start somewhere.:mrgreen:

:lmao: Brings back memories.

One in particular stands out crystal clear, I'll never forget... I was 12-13 years old, (41 now), my dad and my Grandpa sitting in the house, they must been bored that day knowing that I had a technical interest in cars, sent me out to our Baja Bug to check the coolant level... I searched and searched. I'd go back inside, tell them I found the radiator, but could't find that darn cap?! They said, "Just keep looking Paul, You'll find it!" So I did. I kept looking and looking, under, in over, I was all over that darn beetle. I was certain I found the radiator, but no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find that darn radiator cap! This went on a few more times back and forth into the house when Grandpa couldn't take it anymore, busting out in laughter, broke the news to me. Mixed emotions that day. I still felt pretty good that what I found was the fan shroud, directly related to engine cooling... :lmao:

Yeup, we all start out somewhere...

I had a rash of quick lube come-backs at a lexus dealership and found the oil way high.

It seems the quick lube guys would replace the filter and walk over to another car since we had an abundance of lifts.

Then they would return and lower the car to fill it........but they forgot to drain the oil.

Lots of smoke.

Is it possable? Was the original post an April Fool's joke and we fell for it? Race car Engineer Magazine posted the article below as an April fools joke and many fell of us fell it until the truth was revealed.

QUOTE: From Racecar Engineering Mag:

German auto maker shows off radical new W16 design concept for 2011 IRL

"The Indianapolis 500 will exclusively use VW power in 2011 Racecar can exclusively reveal. VAG's new engines will be based on a revolutionary quad turbo W16 design. The two litre powerplants are said to be highly efficient and only use three quarters of the fuel used in the current IRL spec engines.

Whilst all the engine blocks will be identical a number of different cylinder head and bottom end layouts are available, each is to be badged by a different part of the VAG company, most notably Porsche. The most interesting variant is the triple crankshaft Bugatti branded unit, which trades off incredile efficiency and marginally higher power against increased weight and a higher centre of gravity."

END QUOTE:

000_Untitled.jpg

:lmao: Brings back memories.

One in particular stands out crystal clear, I'll never forget... I was 12-13 years old, (41 now), my dad and my Grandpa sitting in the house, they must been bored that day knowing that I had a technical interest in cars, sent me out to our Baja Bug to check the coolant level... I searched and searched. I'd go back inside, tell them I found the radiator, but could't find that darn cap?! They said, "Just keep looking Paul, You'll find it!" So I did. I kept looking and looking, under, in over, I was all over that darn beetle. I was certain I found the radiator, but no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find that darn radiator cap! This went on a few more times back and forth into the house when Grandpa couldn't take it anymore, busting out in laughter, broke the news to me. Mixed emotions that day. I still felt pretty good that what I found was the fan shroud, directly related to engine cooling... :lmao:

Yeup, we all start out somewhere...

Don't ya know it is under the shoud on top of that cooler in there!

Ya know the one that causes cly #3 to tank once in a while;)!!