HybridZ

Crazy motor mount for s30 sbc conversion

zeeboost

• Administrators

You will see that sort engine mount in roundy round cars and also in the hardcore extreme road racers, drag racers etc.

Here are just a few of the commercially available engine plates;

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/mid-motor-plate.php

http://www.kenlowe.com.au/KLRC_Ford351.htm

https://www.appliedracing.net/index.php?cPath=72_308&osCsid=ea841ca577e519c8fbc20e82eba28668

Our very own BlueOvalZ is using that method in his V-8Z

Oxendales 240-Z w/SBF

Photos courtesy of Terry Oxendales various web pages…

21687770001_large.jpg

21687770045_large.jpg

thumb?pictid={8505465E-46A6-4F3C-A180-558E7EE26822}&size=ME&moddt=38387.0112794444thumb?pictid={CC947BC5-2A3A-4A65-AD63-C8EF84137606}&size=ME&moddt=38387.011031331vthumb?pictid={18D27BB5-EE28-4F95-B8B1-458F9D08335A}&size=ME&moddt=38387.011038206thumb?pictid={C493A859-EAC3-4959-B2DA-0ADBC39997B8}&size=ME&moddt=38387.0110226505

cross member w-P/S and front engine plate, SBF;

21687770024_large.jpg

I like the hood on the blue car, that was the first application I thought of looking at the other craigslist photo: "That would make for a nice radiator duct area that far back..."

From Poop, Comes Flowers!

I'm philosophical these days...LOL

It's for sale in the sacramento craigslist...I haven't seen anything like this one before:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/1114032846.html

zeeboost: Can't really exhaust the hot air underneath the hood with these types of mounts. I am planning a tunnel to the radiator in front of same and squirrel cage fans at the rear blowing out into the wheel wells with a 2 speed fan and shroud behind the aero SEALED radiator.

So can someone explain the advantages or disadvantages of this for those of us that don't have the engineering background to figure it out for ourselves? THis is the first time I've seen that kind of setup.

Rigidly mounts the engine so you don't waste torque flexing the mounts instead of driving the wheels. Uses the engine block as a chassis stiffener. I thought I had more but that's all I'm coming up with right now...

zeeboost: Can't really exhaust the hot air underneath the hood with these types of mounts. I am planning a tunnel to the radiator in front of same and squirrel cage fans at the rear blowing out into the wheel wells with a 2 speed fan and shroud behind the aero SEALED radiator.

The plate in the ad is WAY bigger than it needs to be. Compare it to blueovalz's and you'll see that exhausting the under hood air is not a problem with motor plates.

I like your idea to exhaust the radiator air into the wheel wells and will probably do something similar sans the squirrel cage fans.

On the front of the engine in the Z31 I'm using an aluminium engine plate that I fabricated . In the rear is a steel torque plate of .090 mild steel. The only rubber mount is for support at the tail of the transmission. I did this mostly to stiffen the chassis, and transfer the torque load directly to the frame. (The same reason I am using inboard brakes in the rear.) The last pic is of the engine with the plates installed after I polished the heads and intake manifold. (Sorry about the pic quality, New camera.)

Joe

chassis with rear engine plate_thumb.jpg

rear plate 2_thumb.jpg

engine in tube chassis_thumb.jpg

engine polished 1_thumb.jpg

I this it should be mentioned that these are solid mounts so some kid doesn't see this and say "I want to do that" and then complains about the vibrations being too terrible and he doesn't like drive the car anymore. I have heard that some guy had engine plates make for his car but had rubber isolaters mounted between the plate and chassis so it got rid of the vibrations but kept the racey look, but that was for a show car and I rather just use regular mounts. If I had a race car I would do it.

I really couldn't care less about vibrations

I drive an old car because I expect to get the vibrations and noise of every bump in the road and every time the pistons fire off.

I didn't buy a 30 year old Z so it could be QUIET! lmao

speaking of which, about how much work is it to replace the control arm bushings and diff mounts/bushings on a stock '78

mine are shot (yeah way off topic >_>)

Well I got my 30 year old car because it is smoother and quieter than my Mustang with worn bushings and mounts all the way around and half the exhaust missing, lol. Also the Z was my dream car ever since I ever saw it and I wish it was driving and here with me now...even when it doesnt run I still love to sit inside it and stare at it. I think I may have an unhealthy obsession with Zs.