HybridZ

240z8's '71 240z Chevy V8 Project

Not a huge update, but we did some more work on the v8. We pulled off the intake, pulled the rocker arms, and pulled the cam. Still need to pull of the bottom timing chain gear so we can put the gear drive on.

Oh, and I switched our 1 good driver's door from the blue Z to the green one. I have a question though, are the series 1 latches different in any way from series 2? The blue Z's door didn't want to latch most of the time I tried to shut it. Any ideas for that? I'm thinking I need to switch the latch from the green door because that one latched every time. And what are the plastic wedge looking things underneath the metal latch on the door?

We decided to not go with the widebody for now, that's gonna take way too long. We're thinking flares for now. And I have a question about that too; does anyone have any idea about Diamond Racing's custom wheels? How does that work? Do you like send them a design and a specific size and they make it, or what? And, if anyone has a source for cheap 16 inch wheels, any help would be appreciated, I went through the first 50 pages of the wheel section looking for ideas but couldn't find anything I liked or that wasn't cheap in any way. I'm thinking around the 300-600 dollar price range for the wheels. Preferably 16x9.5 with low backspacing or a negative offset. We already have some 245/50/r16 tires that came with my dad's Camaro. 2 are brand new made in 2007, the other 2 have a little wear but still have some life in them.

Justin

Diamond Racing makes decent wheels and they are light weight. Check out the RB and RB-R group buy, 750 shipped, I think you can get them in 16. Hurry up already, I don't care if its cold. Have it ready by the 6th. You don't have much time. You've got the mount kit, wire it, put a battery in and fire it up. Please?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, its gonna take more time than that. I still have to do something to the 700r4 for the v8 swap (not sure what, need to read that part of swap book again), need to grind holes for engine mounts, need to cut some metal out of the mounts for some reason (once again, I need to read that part of the book again), need to get floors done, need to paint engine bay, need to move hard lines into the fender, need to put the v8 back together, need to get new bushings for the car, I know there is more than that, but its just not popping in my head right now. Augh, I have a lot to do... Thanks for reminding me. :mrgreen:

Lol, its gonna take more time than that. I still have to do something to the 700r4 for the v8 swap (not sure what, need to read that part of swap book again), need to grind holes for engine mounts, need to cut some metal out of the mounts for some reason (once again, I need to read that part of the book again), need to get floors done, need to paint engine bay, need to move hard lines into the fender, need to put the v8 back together, need to get new bushings for the car, I know there is more than that, but its just not popping in my head right now. Augh, I have a lot to do... Thanks for reminding me. :mrgreen:

I got a bushing kit sitting in my garage, to bad its for a 280z and too bad its for me. LOL, EBAY! screw the floors, I have way bigger holes in mine and I'm daily driving it. I want it ready for the SQC motiva dyno day & BBQ, so your deadline is the 6th or I am going to come and bonk you on the head =P:ass:

So I was talking to my dad just now, and we need a radiator and a driveshaft too. And the bushings aren't a necessity so they can wait until I get a job. Do you know if there are any 74 or older Novas, Vegas, or Camaros in the junkyards near you, I need to get a driveshaft from one of them because they have the specific u-joint I need. And apparently for the 700r4 I need to install a park-neutral switch on it.

You don't need this switch do you? Or will it not start without it? I didn't have the reverse switch on my truck but it might have been because it was a manual with no clutch safety interlock that it would start. either way, a switch is like 20 bucks max, napa for the win, and trust me, napa will be cheaper than O'riley and auto zone doesn't carry them.

The swap book says to get a stock GM one because they are better quality than most aftermarket ones. I'm not sure if I need it for the car to run, but the book says to do it, so just to be on the safe side, I should do it. lol

The swap book says to get a stock GM one because they are better quality than most aftermarket ones. I'm not sure if I need it for the car to run, but the book says to do it, so just to be on the safe side, I should do it. lol

Yea, I guess I am not on the safe side, all the upgrade I have done to my car so far are from little write ups on here and atlanticz. I really never have read directions or anything, Just kinda figure it out on my own. Heck my first clutch swap was just doing it as I go more or less and it turned out great.

The switch at O'rileys is only $12.95.

I talked to Diamond Racing today. 16 x 8 wheels with 3.5" backspace which is the exact backspace as stock rims. $138 each at my door. Black, white or silver powder coat no charge. Other colors available at $95 per set of 4 wheels.

Here is what we are getting most likely.

newwheelandtiresizes.jpg?t=1264042110

Here is the link to the wheel/tire configurator.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Cool, what style of the diamond racing are you going to get? I love the challenger look but I think they are only 15". I knew the switch wouldn't be much, napa was cheaper when I got the switches for my trucks transmission so I figured they would be for that one. If not that's that, I really wanna see this finished, I still say the 6th is your deadline =P

Wanna point me in the right direction? :mrgreen:

I will, here:

http://centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_id=35

any size your heart could possibly desire, these are my favs, but its all about personal preference, *they arent as expensive as you would think*

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheels_detail.php?mw_id=35&sw_id=441

I will, here:

http://centerlinewheels.com/sub_wheel.php?mw_id=35

any size your heart could possibly desire, these are my favs, but its all about personal preference, *they arent as expensive as you would think*

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheels_detail.php?mw_id=35&sw_id=441

Hey two80z4me, I have a quick question. Wanna take me some pics of how you rewired your light switch? I wanna know before I solder this splice, it seems like the splice wire gets hotter than it should (enough to melt cheap electrical tape) I know this has nothing to do with justins build but I would imagin you will look at this again, just send me a PM or something. Diamond Racing wheels are lighter, and don't be a ricer with the "Street Cred" crap, wheels are wheels, the better the function the better the wheels.

Hey two80z4me, I have a quick question. Wanna take me some pics of how you rewired your light switch? I wanna know before I solder this splice, it seems like the splice wire gets hotter than it should (enough to melt cheap electrical tape) I know this has nothing to do with justins build but I would imagin you will look at this again, just send me a PM or something. Diamond Racing wheels are lighter, and don't be a ricer with the "Street Cred" crap, wheels are wheels, the better the function the better the wheels.

Centerlines arent rice :ass: and the Z is out at the shop getting re-studded so I cant get pics, but you only have to solder one wire, and cap the other.

Centerlines arent rice :ass: and the Z is out at the shop getting re-studded so I cant get pics, but you only have to solder one wire, and cap the other.

Ok... I just have a wire running across the 2, like from the one closes to you on the right to the one farthest back on the left. I was just going to solder that on.

Pharaohabq.

"Those trucker rims are cheap and durable, but not so classy. he'd get more "street cred" at school w/ some nicer aluminum rims. it's not my $$$ tho so whatever works. "

Give up about $2400 to a 15 year old for the right rims. :rolleyesg

It's all in what you want. With these rims the car is on the road! It will be fast! It will roll! It will be a Low, Dark Demon! lol :flamedevi

Better than most of the teeny boppers around here. Except for the kids of the parents who think that the $45,000 truck is what Johnny needs and gets. Got to love those Dairy Folks.

Pharaohabq.

"Those trucker rims are cheap and durable, but not so classy. he'd get more "street cred" at school w/ some nicer aluminum rims. it's not my $$$ tho so whatever works. "

Give up about $2400 to a 15 year old for the right rims. :rolleyesg

It's all in what you want. With these rims the car is on the road! It will be fast! It will roll! It will be a Low, Dark Demon! lol :flamedevi

Better than most of the teeny boppers around here. Except for the kids of the parents who think that the $45,000 truck is what Johnny needs and gets. Got to love those Dairy Folks.

Hey now, this 16 year old makes the payments on the 2008 Tundra crew max :P

and as far as $2400 for wheels, you couldn't be more wrong if you raised em right. :) Id say a set of custom steelies with 9" wide rims and a set of Hoosier A6's would suit me well for what I do.