The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might as well show Pete up by showing a pic of my "other" daily driven bimmer... wifey's car.

RGL_7922_sm.jpg

2000 528iT 5 speed... lovely car to drive, and I still can't get over how great of a wagon design it is, everything BMW puts into designing their cars as "drivers" they put into making these wagons exceptional for storage, accessibility, cargo space, etc.

Edited by Drax240z

• Administrators
O.k. O.k.!! LoL I have a camera, but haven't taken any photos yet. This one is from the previous owner: m5_pass_side.jpg

Besides the wheels, you'd think it was grandpa's 4door. :) Stealthy Silver too!

:2thumbs:VERY nice..

• Administrators
Stop it. Just stop.

This thread is terrible and I don't even know why I bothered looking at it. I was toying around with the idea of getting an E36 as a DD a while ago but now I think you've sealed my fate. Jerks.

We aim to please :wink:

Stop it. Just stop.

This thread is terrible and I don't even know why I bothered looking at it. I was toying around with the idea of getting an E36 as a DD a while ago but now I think you've sealed my fate. Jerks.

Ditto, except I've been eyeing a 2000 528i wagon exactly like Drax's wife's. The horribly rated gas mileage for those things really scares me, though. We're pretty happy getting 30+mpg with the '97 Corolla!

Ditto, except I've been eyeing a 2000 528i wagon exactly like Drax's wife's. The horribly rated gas mileage for those things really scares me, though. We're pretty happy getting 30+mpg with the '97 Corolla!

24.5mpg combined driving so far. I can live with that, though its a bit of a hit from the VW TDI's we had.

• Administrators

Got a little adventurous today. Mostly tired of my iPhone charge cord always being tangled up around the shifter. The Cig lighter/power port is just ahead of the shifter, I keep my iPhone in the cubby behind the shifter next to the parking brake. (The sunglasses cubby isn’t big enough and if it were, the cord will still be bunched up wadding itself around the shifter). Being that is the only use I have the 12v power port, (Valentine 1 is to be hardwired just as I had it in my S-30, Q-45 and Z-32) the most logical location to me is just under the arm rest next to the cubby I keep the iPhone. After disassembling the arm rest and center console, I commited myself to some extensive modification of the arm rest structure to get the power in that location. In the end, I am VERY pleased with out come.

Now with the power port relocated, that left this awkward hole just ahead of the shifter. A few days ago I mentioned to Ron that I was thinking about installing my S-2000 “Engine Start” button in that location! He laughed out loud and walked away… :lmao: I'm convinced that we all have some “ricer” in us, mine turned up as this start button, (i.e. the current starting system functions fine, but still have the desire to change it to something different, even though it does not enhance the functionality, only the visual presentation.. ) So I installed it as well. I connected the illumination, Just need to connect the button to the starter wire and it’ll be functional. :2thumbs:

Tried to get some pics of the illumination, pics didn’t come out so good, but you’ll get the idea. For some reason, the OBC display shows up as pink in the pics. It is actually the dark orange just like the rest of the instruments.

First pic is the original power port with the charge cord tangled around shifter… Magenta NO circle is the itty bitty sunglasses cubby!

old-pwr-prt.jpg

This picture is of the new power port location;

new-pwr-prt.jpg

The Honda S-2000 start button, (looks OE);

Start1.jpg

Illumintaed;

Start-illum.jpg

Overall interior shot, iPhone is charging under the arm rest, out of sight, no obnoxious cords in the way. :wink:

Int1.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

Wow... lots of nice cars in this thread.

Any love for the E24 6 series here? I've seen them go for decent prices around here lately in not too bad of shape... if I actually had the money and didn't have so many other projects sitting around I'd be all over one.

I'm actually thinking my "dream project" that doesn't involve a Z or RX-7 would probably be a Mazda 20B powered E24... that would be a fun daily driver!