The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drax, I forgot to ask: which year and model is this car you got exactly? I can't make out the model number on the back. I'm interested in interior pictures, as well.

Looking at gas mileage on the 2JZ'd vehicles versus the BMW I6's has pushed me to the BMW side. I'm considering a 6 cylinder 5-series around year 2000 or 3-series (325, 328, 330) around 2000 (E46), as well.

Before I do any of this, I need to be sure I can sell the Corolla and ANOTHER not-running Corolla a friend might give me.

Drax, I forgot to ask: which year and model is this car you got exactly? I can't make out the model number on the back. I'm interested in interior pictures, as well.

Looking at gas mileage on the 2JZ'd vehicles versus the BMW I6's has pushed me to the BMW side. I'm considering a 6 cylinder 5-series around year 2000 or 3-series (325, 328, 330) around 2000 (E46), as well.

Before I do any of this, I need to be sure I can sell the Corolla and ANOTHER not-running Corolla a friend might give me.

His BMW is a 1993 325is.

Yes it's a 93 325iS. I've also got a 2000 528i Touring 5 speed that is new to us. I'm not sure either has fuel mileage to write home about though. I am getting roughly 25mpg in the 3-series mixed highway and city, and I believe the 5-series is getting about the same.

I agree that $600 is a decent deal for the black interior, however, free weekends are hard to come by, and I'm expecting it to be a full days job, if not two to do the change-over. I think I'll spend that time on the Z instead, and just get another tan seat. Might see if I can track down some sport seats however in the correct colour...

More pics to come likely this weekend, after I wash it.

I'm in the market for a new DD as well.

I've been looking at the subaru legacy. I would be interested in the impreza, but since they changed the front again to the weird bland look, I want to pass on that. The dealer had a 07, but doesn't come with warranty :(.

• Administrators

Picked up my new DD tonight. RTz was kind enough to drive me to pick it up and take some pics, Thanks Ron! Pics are AWESOME!

’97 M3 sedan, 5 speed, Cosmos black, (metal flake black pretty much identical to the Black Pearl on the '78 Z), black interior, my middle daughter named it Edna! :lmao: It sorta fits…

P.O. upgraded with Bilstein dampers, larger Brembo brake package, and an intake tube w/filter replacing the stock air box, otherwise the car is all stock, and EXACTLY what I was looking for. Paint is not perfect with little scratches here and there, a few door dings etc. Wont be so nervous about parking this one in the mall parking lot. :wink: The 3.2 S52 runs strong, a strong 14 second car. Looking forward to adding even more torque with the LSx and T-56 sitting in the shop. Ron took it for a short jaunt to stretch its legs a bit. I am very satisfied thus far! :2thumbs:

Pics courtesy of RTz.

Picking up the car...

DSC_3878.jpg

Now in my driveway! :2thumbs:

DSC_3903.jpg

Mmmmmm pah-wah....

DSC_3889.jpg

Edited by BRAAP
Typo

• Administrators

It runs horrible. 2 cylinders at best. Pretty sure its going to need a full rebuild.... and the tranny... don't even start.

:mrgreen:

Edited by RTz

• Administrators
You guys suck.

BRAAP, how's that M engine that's coming out? ;) Might look good in my car...

It runs horrible. 2 cylinders at best. Pretty sure its going to need a full rebuild.... and the tranny... don't even start.

:mrgreen:

:lmao::lmao:

Richard,

Putting aside the fact that Ron is trying to sabbatoge the chances of anyone else ending up with this engine-trans when I do the LSx conversion, (he really wants it and it would be cool to see it end up in an S-30…) it runs SUPERB! Plenty of Torque at 1800 RPM, pulls through 7000, 5.7 seconds 0-60 sprints. The transmission is by far the smoothest silkiest shifter I have ever put my hands on. Throws could be a little shorter, otherwise superb.

The 3.2 S52 will remain in the engine bay for a little while. Considering tracking down an E-36 shell to use as a V-8 mock mule to build my own mounts. Do the same with the E-36 that I was doing with the Z-32 mock up mule.

I could go on and on over how please I am with this purchase for a daily driver.

If you want taughter, (is that a word? if not, it is now!) suspension with a little less body roll in your E-36, OE M3 struts, springs, and bars are plentiful, affordable and bolt right in any E36 and wont spoil the ride quality. Took my wife to an awards banquet last night some 1 and quarter hours away, all back roads along the foot hills of the cascades corners, elevation changes, fun! She didn’t complain once… Well I take that back. She didn’t like the quick blast from 40 to 80+ to get around Ma & Pa Kettle at some point mid way. Quick down shift to 2nd, WOT the whole time, grab 3rd at 7000, She says, “Did you have to do it like that? “ I said, “Yeah! Grabbing gears in a straight 6 wound to 7k just sounds so cool!” She just shook her head in disbelief and mumbled that I such a 12 year old.. I don't get it?.. shrug.gif:lmao:

Edited by BRAAP
Typo

I agree, it would be a superb engine in an S30, and I'd LOVE to see that done! I've wanted to see that swap for a long time... Go Ron!!!

Actually an OBD-I engine is available up here which makes things very straight forward for me. Might see what I can find for suspension too...

• Administrators
I've got a customer's E36 in the shop right now. 2,218 lbs, 295 hp, 285/30-18 Hoosier A6s all around. Anyone wanna a race? :mrgreen:

Naw... We're brave, not stupid! (Can't speak for Ron though...) 7.5:1 lbs/HP race car against daily drivers? :lmao:

Would LOVE to see some pics if the owner wouldn't mind sharing? Please?

• Administrators
Wow Braap, those brakes on the M3 look nice.

My E46 M3 has the stock brakes, which function just fine, but are nothing special.

And brake kits for it. lol. I'd have to have a child and sell it..

E46 M3!! Very nice. ave.gifbgiorno.gif

The P.O. of my car doesn’t recall what kit these are other than he bought them off eBay, front and rear rotors, Frt-Rr brake pads, brake lines and front calipers. Personally I prefer slotted over cross drilled rotors. Oh well, these should still be an upgrade over OE and up to the task with the LSx V-8. please.gif