HybridZ

The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

I don't usually associate Rotaries with Daily drivers.

Haha, fair enough. The 20B actually has something resembling low end torque though, it's a fairly streetable engine if you don't do anything too insane with it. It came in the JC cosmo, a fairly heavy luxury car... I imagine it would be perfectly at home in the E24 chassis.

Gas mileage, on the other hand... :/.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to jack the thread a bit but I have a question. I was originally intending to get an e46 m3, but it has become apparent that I would only realistically be able to afford one with close to 100k miles. As such I am a little worried about maintenance costs and how long I can expect the car to be reliable.

Another option for a car would be an 04-06 GTO. I figure its similar in that it seats four, has a trunk, is rwd and pretty quick. It doesn't have the badge, but its supposed to handle pretty well and I figure it has to be reasonably reliable with the LS engine in it. If anything, parts will be cheap. The main benefit is that I could get an 04 with 20k miles on it for 14-15grand, or an 05 (400hp) for 17 grand with 40k. What do you guys think.

• Administrators
Sorry to jack the thread a bit but I have a question. I was originally intending to get an e46 m3, but it has become apparent that I would only realistically be able to afford one with close to 100k miles. As such I am a little worried about maintenance costs and how long I can expect the car to be reliable.

Another option for a car would be an 04-06 GTO. I figure its similar in that it seats four, has a trunk, is rwd and pretty quick. It doesn't have the badge, but its supposed to handle pretty well and I figure it has to be reasonably reliable with the LS engine in it. If anything, parts will be cheap. The main benefit is that I could get an 04 with 20k miles on it for 14-15grand, or an 05 (400hp) for 17 grand with 40k. What do you guys think.

My not so humble opinion;

With handling AND power being important, the E-36 with an LSx will deliver on all levels and there are thousands of clean E36 examples out there for between $4000-$10,000 including M3's under $10,000.

Cheapest route would be to find a high mile 325i, do the M suspension conversion, (E36 M3 handling is knock your socks off impressive...) or just get an E36 M3, install the LSx and it'll be lighter and much better handling than the GTO. :2thumbs: German refinement with LSx power!

Here is guy that did the M suspension conversion to his 325i using BRAND NEW, OE BMW suspension components, only cost him $1787 including the alignment!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3476

Don't forget to check out this LSx powered E-36 on the track! YEE HAAA....

Edited by BRAAP

If I had the time I would definitely be going that route. At this point, however, I am looking for a daily driver for work, which I start pretty soon. I have to deal with moving from jersey to DC and getting an apartment and everything. I already have a project in my Z and I am pretty much looking for something that i might only do minor work on, at least for the short term. I am looking for fun and reasonably reliable. My workable price limit is 18-19k.

I was in a similar place months ago - the only new cars that would fit the bill for me (fun to drive, power, room for 4) were the G8 GXP ($37-40K depending on which incentive to take) or a new (40miles) 2008 Charger R/T for $30K.

You can find low mileage, pristine 2000-2003 BMW M5s that will carry 4 very comfortably for $17-25K, depending on what the owner THINKS the car is worth, mileage, etc. Just letting you know the way I went about this.

I'd think a used E46 M3 with low miles would be available and in your price range ($17-$20K).

Ron, that was one of my most favorite car rides EVER!!

I've never been very scared as a passenger, but when you took me down Ten Eyk road that one time, I about pee'ed my pants!! :D

Nice linear acceleration, and insane grip.

I'm not liking you very much right now. I miss my M...

M3D.jpg

PassSide.jpg

Mfront.jpg

• Administrators
Ron, that was one of my most favorite car rides EVER!!

I've never been very scared as a passenger, but when you took me down Ten Eyk road that one time, I about pee'ed my pants!! :D

Nice linear acceleration, and insane grip.

:mrgreen:

That car became the most overall capable street car I've ever owned.

Anders and I worked together experimenting with different set-ups on each others M3's, essentially sharing the development costs and time. In a short period, we both ended up with very capable cars that were still everyday live-able. Not a bad way to go when you're starting fresh with a platform.

A couple weeks ago, I drove the first BMW I'd be considering to purchase; I'd driven my brother-in-law's '96 M3 before that, but several months ago. It was a 2000 BMW 528i Wagon. It looks awesome and the interior is pretty cool except it was black leather. The vehicle in question was for sale at $5500, IIRC, and it needed a lot of little things fixed in the interior: vents, buttons, etc; the rear shocks needed to be replaced, too. I was looking at $1k in parts alone probably just to get this thing in shape.

I was open to doing that until we really got to driving it. Maybe because it's a wagon and heavier or maybe the car wasn't running right or maybe the 2.8L engine is completely wimpy, but I was really unimpressed with the power. My wife's '97 Corolla accelerates as well as this thing did.

It was a real disappointment and now has me looking past any BMW except the 3.0 liters and possibly an E36 M3. I'm still eyeballing some 2.8L just to give them another chance but passively.

It may be a G35 or IS300 afterall.

My 528i wagon won't win any races, but at the same time it's not completely gutless. If you're really looking for performance from the wagon the 540i would be a better choice for sure.

Certainly they shouldn't be compared in the same vain as an M3 or G35.

I'd be willing to bet that the Crank case vent valve is the culprit, it's a very common issue and causes sever powerloss and hesitation. the 528, even in wagon for should scoot around fairly well.

A couple weeks ago, I drove the first BMW I'd be considering to purchase; I'd driven my brother-in-law's '96 M3 before that, but several months ago. It was a 2000 BMW 528i Wagon. It looks awesome and the interior is pretty cool except it was black leather. The vehicle in question was for sale at $5500, IIRC, and it needed a lot of little things fixed in the interior: vents, buttons, etc; the rear shocks needed to be replaced, too. I was looking at $1k in parts alone probably just to get this thing in shape.

I was open to doing that until we really got to driving it. Maybe because it's a wagon and heavier or maybe the car wasn't running right or maybe the 2.8L engine is completely wimpy, but I was really unimpressed with the power. My wife's '97 Corolla accelerates as well as this thing did.

It was a real disappointment and now has me looking past any BMW except the 3.0 liters and possibly an E36 M3. I'm still eyeballing some 2.8L just to give them another chance but passively.

It may be a G35 or IS300 afterall.

So small update but I dont have pictures yet:

m3 buckets installed

m3 steering wheel

bumper conversation done (front and rear).

Just hit the $1000.00 mark.

But here are some random picture I took after washing the z and e30.

5071_216664215155_842495155_7403907_2732032_n.jpg

Pics of my wife's 97 328iS after a re-spray on the passenger side... We had an episode with a deer bouncing off every panel on that side of the car... $1100 later and it looks good as new...

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0050.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

Forgot to tell the guy to fix the scuffs at the bottom of the right corner lower bumper... Those scuffs were there when we bought the car and I've never had it addressed, always assuming I'd buy an M3 nose for it... never happened and shoulda had them fix that while it was there... Oh well...

We installed a kenwood headunit, Blluetooth module and otherwise, just drive the thing. It runs like a top, and this car is the reason I fell in love with german cars... It's been a real trooper!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Okay, so I more or less bought a '92 325is, with all '95 M3 parts... except the motor which is a '99 S52. It's technically still his, but it's pretty much agreed I bought it. It needs a little assembly though....

Cool! :2thumbs: Gonna leave it M powered?